~*~ SMF October 2017 Challenge - Simple Minimalistic Swirl! ~*~
~ October 2017 Challenge Photo Entry Thread~

Help Support Soapmaking Forum by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.
Soap Making Forum > The Soap Making & Craft Forum > Beginners Soap Making Forum > So Long, Goodbye . . . Soapmaking?

Old 09-26-2017, 06:08 PM   #31
Seawolfe

Liked 2884 Times on 1518 Posts
Likes Given: 3556

I also use 100% coconut oil 0%SF for my laundry soap AND in my emergency kits - will wash anything and will lather in salt water

+1 to making a salt bar - I think you'd really like it. My favie is 80% Coconut, 10% Olive, 5% Castor 20% SF and 80% PPO of fine uniodized salt.

Old 09-26-2017, 06:12 PM   #32
BaBa

Liked 31 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Wow, why did you use such a hard recipe? As many others, I think your skin is reacting to the striping. This is bad, and can take several weeks to recover. Some people don't support soap at all on their faces. That's unfortunately my case.

However, you still can make a soft soap with plenty of poly-insaturated fats, like almond, rice bran or wheat germ oils. I personally would not use activated charcoal or french clay as I find it too adsorbing and stripping.

Another tip for cleaning your face without stripping it is to double cleanse. It might sound a bit fussy, but it really helps. First clean your face with an oil your face appreciate (jojoba usually gives good results on almost everyone) for greasy goo removal, then wash the oil out with a gentle soap. The advantage of this technique is that it allows you to clean you face quite deeply without messing out the hydrolipidic film.

Last edited by BaBa; 09-26-2017 at 06:13 PM. Reason: mispelling

Old 09-26-2017, 06:19 PM   #33
MissE

Liked 25 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Oh, lard! You guys, I feel like a piece of laundry already!

Old 09-26-2017, 06:39 PM   #34
cmzaha
Supporting Member
SOAP_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 4824 Times on 2811 Posts
Likes Given: 1149

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahila View Post
I made a soap with babbasu, avocado, silk and avocado puree, it is so awesome on face , everyone loves it, My hubby who does not care what soap he use , refuse now activated charcoal and uses only the silky one. No Co in it, Very gentle and does nto tight my face skin at all,
Misse just keep in mind that 33% of CO still will dry the skin, If you prone to acne, only activated charcoal (well balanced) low cleansing number , and with lard will help to balance the oils in your skin. Use oat milk to wash your face so you can heal the skin. You made laundry soap and cleansing number is 69 or more. For face you lower than 10
I agree with Dhalia, keep the coconut at 0-10% for a facial bar and if you naturally have dry skin go lighter on the activated charcoal than you would for oily skin. AC is also drying. The babassu, avocado and avocado make a wonderful gentle facial bar. Silk is very nice but somewhat optional, the oil combination is key. I also like Canola or Sunflower oil in place of avocado if it is not available to you. High Oleic is best but regular sunflower or canola work fine. I have used both HO and regular Canola and Sunflower for years. I know of an avocado grower that sells 100% avocado oil soap and it is actually decent. Also keep in mind, not knowing what calculator you use they can certainly vary in the superfat number. I tend to use soapcalc with a 2% superfat. In Soapee.com my same recipe comes up with a 5% superfat. So it is really best to stick to one calculator and settle on what superfat you like in your soap. Don't give up, it takes up to a year or two to really find your favorite

cmzaha
No kids in the soaping area
Dahila Likes This 
Old 09-26-2017, 09:20 PM   #35
MissE

Liked 25 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Thanks, cmzaha, I'm feeling better after reading your comment!