So Long, Goodbye . . . Soapmaking?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you do like high coconut oil soaps, upping the superfat is something to consider experimenting with.

If you do like high coconut oil soaps, upping the superfat is something to consider experimenting with.

I don't just like coconut oil, it's my go to oil (Hahaha)! I have access to a lot of it and it is only slightly more expensive than canola, if I want to buy it. But mostly, I've always been able to make small quantities at home.

Now that I am using it a lot in soaps, I might need to up my production . . . but I'm thinking, rather than go to the trouble of steaming the oil out of the butter, what if I used the coconut butter in soapmaking? Could I just substitute coconut butter for coconut oil and can I expect any differentiation, please?

I don't just like coconut oil, it's my go to oil (Hahaha)! I have access to a lot of it and it is only slightly more expensive than canola, if I want to buy it. But mostly, I've always been able to make small quantities at home.

Now that I am using it a lot in soaps, I might need to up my production . . . but I'm thinking, rather than go to the trouble of steaming the oil out of the butter, what if I used the coconut butter in soapmaking? Could I just substitute coconut butter for coconut oil and can I expect any differentiation, please?
I don't know about the coconut butter, but you should keep in mind that coconut oil is no longer coconut oil after it has saponified. Everything you love about coconut oil changes once it's soap.

I don't know about the coconut butter, but you should keep in mind that coconut oil is no longer coconut oil after it has saponified. Everything you love about coconut oil changes once it's soap.

That's a good point, artemis. It makes more sense to be considering the qualities of saponified oils rather than the qualities of the oils themselves. Noted, with many thanks.

I still look forward to any light that can be shed on the coconut oil vs coconut butter question. I would really love to remove that additional step in the production process if it's going to not affect anything or if it is going to make things even better.

You'd have to take the coconut solids into account when thinking of your super fat. Since coconut oil tends to be stripping the extra lye would make a huge difference. I don't know how well coconut works as an exfoliant. I'm sure there are bloggers who have tried it if you do the searching.

You'd have to take the coconut solids into account when thinking of your super fat. Since coconut oil tends to be stripping the extra lye would make a huge difference. I don't know how well coconut works as an exfoliant. I'm sure there are bloggers who have tried it if you do the searching.

Not a lot online about its use in soapmaking, unfortunately. I'm not trying for exfoliation with the butter, or anything else in fact. Just to shorten the process would be good enough for me.

I would love to understand this part of your response a little more, if you can kindly clarify?

Since coconut oil tends to be stripping the extra lye would make a huge difference.

Thanks

I would love to understand this part of your response a little more, if you can kindly clarify?

Coconut oil is known as a "cleansing oil" when making soap. If you look at the soapcalc numbers they specifically calculate "cleansing" almost as if soap with a low cleansing number won't get you clean. I tend to refer to that number more as "how well will this recipe strip the oils from my skin" rather than "will this get me clean." Part of my reasoning on this is playing around with traditional soap recipes and how they are calculated. 100% olive oil in a soap calculator gives extremely poor numbers in the cleansing department but it still gets you clean.

In truth the numbers calculators give evaluate the percentages of fatty acids in the oils and give you something easy to look at. I just feel they are slightly misnamed

Oh my, 100% coconut oil no superfat! Yes, that is what I use for laundry soap and stains. I can almost feel the itching after a shower! But obviously your skin is not like mine.

I also use 100% coconut oil 0%SF for my laundry soap AND in my emergency kits - will wash anything and will lather in salt water :)

+1 to making a salt bar - I think you'd really like it. My favie is 80% Coconut, 10% Olive, 5% Castor 20% SF and 80% PPO of fine uniodized salt.

Wow, why did you use such a hard recipe? As many others, I think your skin is reacting to the striping. This is bad, and can take several weeks to recover. Some people don't support soap at all on their faces. That's unfortunately my case.

However, you still can make a soft soap with plenty of poly-insaturated fats, like almond, rice bran or wheat germ oils. I personally would not use activated charcoal or french clay as I find it too adsorbing and stripping.

Another tip for cleaning your face without stripping it is to double cleanse. It might sound a bit fussy, but it really helps. First clean your face with an oil your face appreciate (jojoba usually gives good results on almost everyone) for greasy goo removal, then wash the oil out with a gentle soap. The advantage of this technique is that it allows you to clean you face quite deeply without messing out the hydrolipidic film.

Last edited:
Oh, lard! You guys, I feel like a piece of laundry already!:headbanging:

I made a soap with babbasu, avocado, silk and avocado puree, it is so awesome on face , everyone loves it, My hubby who does not care what soap he use , refuse now activated charcoal and uses only the silky one. No Co in it, Very gentle and does nto tight my face skin at all,
Misse just keep in mind that 33% of CO still will dry the skin, If you prone to acne, only activated charcoal (well balanced) low cleansing number , and with lard will help to balance the oils in your skin. Use oat milk to wash your face so you can heal the skin. You made laundry soap and cleansing number is 69 or more. For face you lower than 10

I agree with Dhalia, keep the coconut at 0-10% for a facial bar and if you naturally have dry skin go lighter on the activated charcoal than you would for oily skin. AC is also drying. The babassu, avocado and avocado make a wonderful gentle facial bar. Silk is very nice but somewhat optional, the oil combination is key. I also like Canola or Sunflower oil in place of avocado if it is not available to you. High Oleic is best but regular sunflower or canola work fine. I have used both HO and regular Canola and Sunflower for years. I know of an avocado grower that sells 100% avocado oil soap and it is actually decent. Also keep in mind, not knowing what calculator you use they can certainly vary in the superfat number. I tend to use soapcalc with a 2% superfat. In Soapee.com my same recipe comes up with a 5% superfat. So it is really best to stick to one calculator and settle on what superfat you like in your soap. Don't give up, it takes up to a year or two to really find your favorite

Thanks, cmzaha, I'm feeling better after reading your comment! :)

Back