First time lip balm

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

silhouette

Reaction score
Hello everyone.. I plan to make my first batch of lip balm. I ve beewax and olive oil. So is the ratio 1:4 sounds good? I would like a medium consistency.. Thanks :)

Are you using this in pots or tins? Or in sticks? That will be way too soft for sticks, I think. Do you have any other oils or butters you can use?

Very basic recipe for lip balm is 1/3 wax, 1/3 hard or brittle butter (cocoa, mango, etc), 1/3 softer butter or oils (such as coconut).

MMS has a great lip balm recipe section https://www.thesage.com/recipes/recipe-exec/_State/ListRecipes/cat/Lip_Balms/ that may help you.

Good luck :thumbup:

I agree it will be really soft and not what a good lip balm should be. You really should consider using shea, mango or cocoa butters as well. I don't use 1/3 margins but use a bit less of the beeswax as I like my lip balms a bit softer but still hard enough to be in tubes. Nature's garden has lip balm recipes as well as WSP and MMS. Check them out and then you can get an idea of the proportions and what oils, butters etc will work. Then you can formulate a recipe for yourself. It's fun finding the right one for you. Good luck!

My lip balm recipe comes out to be 20% wax, 20% hard butter, 40% soft oils. That's before adding flavor oils. For the summer I don't change the unflavored recipe, but in the winter I adjust the hard oils and wax down just a smidge and add a little more soft oils so it's not so hard when it's cold.

Have fun! :) Once you come up with a recipe you like, you will never ever go back to store bought lip balms again! They just don't even come close to comparing.

I've never made lip balm with just beeswax and olive oil, but if I did, I would probably start at at least 33% beeswax. I imagine this recipe would have an olive oil taste and smell to it, as well. Good luck. Report to us how it turns out. :)

Back