Lotion Bars

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I made some just a few days ago, put all my oils/wax in a quart jar and hot water bath till melted then pour. I love them, fun and easy to make and use.
16.65% shea butter
16.65% cocoa butter
33.30% coconut oil
33.40% beeswax

Help? I used a similar recipe....equal parts beeswax, coconut oil and cocoa butter but the lotion feels greasy....it absorbs pretty quick but I just don't like the greasy initial feel. any suggestions?

Use lighter oils. Fractionated Coconut oil is my favorite!! I also like sweet almond. Also, cocoa butter makes a waxier feeling bar, that I don't like. I prefer Mango.

I too recommend using lighter oils. I like meadowfoam seed oil, FCO, Sweet Almond, I also use a bit of Argan sometimes. You can also try adding some arrowroot powder or Isopropyl Myristate which will both helf with the greasiness. Also using Cocoa Butter or Mango. However, that's kind of the beast that solid lotions are.

I too recommend using lighter oils. I like meadowfoam seed oil, FCO, Sweet Almond, I also use a bit of Argan sometimes. You can also try adding some arrowroot powder or Isopropyl Myristate which will both helf with the greasiness. Also using Cocoa Butter or Mango. However, that's kind of the beast that solid lotions are.

Would sunflower oil or grapeseed oil be a lighter oil with mango butter? I also have avocado oil.

With a 6 oz recipe I was going to use 1/4 tsp of Vit E also. And a FO with probably 20 drop.

yes, sunflower would probably work well too. I like avocado in just about everything. I like sunflower oil. I generally use 1% Vit E. Also, I find that when adding EO/FO to my solid lotions sometimes it take the scent awhile to bloom. Let us know now they turn out. I don't mind the greasiness so much. Especially during the cold winter months. IPM takes the edge off for me.

yes, sunflower would probably work well too. I like avocado in just about everything. I like sunflower oil. I generally use 1% Vit E. Also, I find that when adding EO/FO to my solid lotions sometimes it take the scent awhile to bloom. Let us know now they turn out. I don't mind the greasiness so much. Especially during the cold winter months. IPM takes the edge off for me.

I have seen on some threads where people will use a little cornstarch to quall the greasiness. How do you know how much to use??

I have seen on some threads where people will use a little cornstarch to quall the greasiness. How do you know how much to use??[/QUOT

If you are making 6 oz. try maybe 1/8 tsp. add a little at a time and put a bit on your skin and see how it feels. Too much and it can get a bit gritty.

I have seen on some threads where people will use a little cornstarch to quall the greasiness. How do you know how much to use??[/QUOT

If you are making 6 oz. try maybe 1/8 tsp. add a little at a time and put a bit on your skin and see how it feels. Too much and it can get a bit gritty.

Will do. Thank you for all your help.....ALL the time!! :smile:

You are more than welcome....anytime. Let us know how they work for you. I need to make some this weekend for a show next week.

Shunt,

It worked like a charm. Made a 6 oz test batch with the cornstarch and mango butter and avocado. Less greasy and absorbed in the skin faster. WOO HOO :wave:

Shunt,

It worked like a charm. Made a 6 oz test batch with the cornstarch and mango butter and avocado. Less greasy and absorbed in the skin faster. WOO HOO :wave:

I've never made lotion bars but am inspired to give it a try after reading this thread. Can you tell me when you added the cornstarch - when melting the ingredients or afterwards, when the mixture was cooling?
Thanks!

I've never made lotion bars but am inspired to give it a try after reading this thread. Can you tell me when you added the cornstarch - when melting the ingredients or afterwards, when the mixture was cooling?
Thanks!

Robo, I added the cornstarch afterwards right before I poured it into the yogurt cup. Stirred it in and then added my fragrance oil.

Latest posts

Back