~*~ SMF January 2018 Challenge- Hidden Heart Swirl! ~*~
~ Last Look At November 2017 Challenge Photos~

Help Support Soapmaking Forum by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.
Soap Making Forum > The Soap Making & Craft Forum > The Photo Gallery > Photo/Light Box...Testing out bulbs and light sources. PICS!

Old 06-30-2008, 12:41 AM   #1
Lane

Liked 11 Times on 2 Posts

Default Photo/Light Box...Testing out bulbs and light sources. PICS!

So I got the photo box built and I have been testing different light sources...I am still testing light sources and will post more pictures soon! I literally took these pictures while my husband was still taping up the back of the box.
Supplies:

Hubby building:

Set up:

Natural Light:

2x100 watt "natural" light bulbs:

2x100 watt "natural" light bulbs & flash:

1x100 watt "natural" bulb:

1x40 watt "reveal" light bulb

Old 06-30-2008, 01:14 AM   #2
beadella

Finally, a chance to use all that art school education I am still paying for...................

Any regular incandescent bulb will give you a peachy orange tint, and any flourescent bulb will give you a greeny tint. Full spectrum lighting may give you a bit of a blue tinge.

Depending on what kind of camera you are using, you can buy filters that will screw over the lens, or any descent camera store should be able to give you info on the best (other than sunlight) kind of lighting you need to get the truest colors in your photos.

If you need any hints on composition or framing, let me know...........photography was one of the few classes that I aced all three semesters!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :P

HTH,

Della

Old 06-30-2008, 01:29 AM   #3
SoapyGal

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Very cool Lane!!

Thanks to both of you for the tips on how to do this... DD & I want to build one now!!!

wwwwwweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!

(dontcha just love DIY projects? :P )

Old 06-30-2008, 01:56 AM   #4

I built my light box and I'm sure it's up to snuff. My lighting isn't. I'm glad you started this discussion Lane and hope we get some answers. I haven't posted soap pics for two weeks because my photographs are lame.l

Old 06-30-2008, 02:08 AM   #5
Lane

ARRRRGGGHHHH!!!!!!! Safe to say...getting the lighting right is beyond p*ssing me off! Anyway...after I took these pictures, I cut a flap in what I THOUGHT was the top so I could take pictures from above and I actually cut in the bottom! So now I have a horrible seem in the back...which you can't see in these pictures because after I noticed what I was doing, I bashed the box off the table....
Anyway...before I had my tantrum...this is what I got

2x 75 watt full spectrum bulbs

2x 75 watt full spectrum bulbs WITH flash

2x 75 watt full spectrum bulbs WITH manual camera adj, I bumped up the white balance 3 points

Natural light with flash

Old 06-30-2008, 02:15 AM   #6
Lane

This is the EXACT picture as above but with digital adjustments, which is what i was trying to avoid with the light box...

Old 06-30-2008, 03:01 AM   #7
IanT

Liked 31 Times on 14 Posts

I think they all look good..I think I like the blue light a little better!!!...It looks good when there is just plain white behind it as opposed to pink, I think it makes the soap JUMP out at you!!

Old 06-30-2008, 03:39 AM   #8

My own light box problems resolve around lighting, and I hope we can get some good advice here. My own pictures are ruined.

Old 06-30-2008, 05:02 AM   #9
pepperi27

Yours looks way better than mine! I made ming 1/2 out of cardboard and tissue paper! LOL but it works.

Old 06-30-2008, 09:52 AM   #10

Great job Lane!

Do you have a good camera shop nearby? I would wander in and ask about what would work best with your camera. We have one here that is top notch and I did just that. They were able to give me recommendations that really helped.

Also - what are you using for an image editor? When my lighting isn't perfect - I remove the background of the photo all together. The great thing about a lightbox is that the bg is a solid color and makes that easy.