newbie questions

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pendragyn

Reaction score
Hello all,

I'm just starting out. So far I've made a couple of containers and some votives, and although I am happy with them as a beginner I would not put them in any type of portfolio. I've got a couple of questions on what could have caused some issues, and what I might do next time to make a better product. On one of my containers I used an orange dye, but even though I used the suggested amount (8 drops) the color came out as a fairly dark brown. When I poured the candle, the color, although dark was consistant, but after it cooled it appears that the dye was bleeding out. I soaked it up with a towel, but after a while there was more pooling at the top, and I could see some light patches appears in the candle. For this candle I used container wax I purchased at Michael's and dye and FO that I purchaed at a local candle/soap making supplier. I also added stearine, I did this because the container I made earlier with the same wax came out very transparent and I was hoping this would give me more of a solid color. The votives seemed to come out better, I used votive wax from Michael's, stearine and dye and FO from the supplier. There was no bleeding with these, but the color is patchy. Any ideas on what might have happened it appeciated. I am planning on purchasing more wax, but from the supplier this time to try again.

I don't dye my candles but from now on, I'd recommend purchasing your supplies with a company that specializes in candles and candle pouring supplies and not a store like Michaels. Suppliers are cheaper than Michaels, sell a better quality product and are most often able to provide troubleshooting help, recommendations and advice. Michaels and stores like it can provide you with certain stuff when in a pinch and sometimes you can find sales on equipment like pouring pots. But definitely get your fragrances, wax, wicks, dyes and additives from a supplier. But now you have a feel for pouring candles and will be better prepared for what to do and expect on the next batch. It is a lot of fun and can be addicting. I hope you enjoy it as much as I do.

Back