My Soap Business - Can't do it.

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you all for giving me a bit more information on this business. For now at least, I shall stick with MP soaps. Will I have to submit recipes for that or is it only for CP and HP? I know about the insurance and will have it in place when I get going. There is so much to make sure you have looked after! LOL My notebook gets thicker with each day. I'm just glad I found this site with so many helpful people. :D

Oh, Lindy. I am already working with Community Futures in my area. They've given me their business plan, which I'm following, even though it isn't one I will use for my business afterward. It's rather generic and seems to be more laid out for bigger businesses than what I am working on getting going. At any rate, I am using theirs because it is theirs. ;) They are the ones who want all these stats though, which is where I'm really stuck. As far as I know there is no one in my immediate area who makes soaps... however, there may be and they may only show up at the Christmas craft shows and perhaps a farmer's market. Not sure how to figure out what my "market share" is but I will keep at it. LOL

Thanks again for the information. :)

Moondancer if you go to this thread (http://soapmakingforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9272 you can read up on the requirments and yes even though you are doing M&P you have to complete the forms and submit them. When you're using a third party who creates your base they will rquire a letter from them regarding the formulation - as far as I understand. I could be quite mistaken so I truly recommend reading on the site listed in that thread.

HTH

These rules really seem to be very silly.

1) if you go to a hardware store to buy drain cleaner and don't use it all at once you will be storing lye at home, but the local fire brigade doesn't even know about it

2) every time you cook with coconut oil / palm oil you will be melting this while doing cooking and much hotter than you would ever do this for soap. Do you need a license to cook with hard oils ??? (and some people are stupid enough to heat butter to the point where it goes up in flames or forget about their chip pan)

Unless you turn into the Body Shop you wont have any larger amounts of those perfectly legal ingredients at home than most households. I know if you make bio diesel here the local fire chief has to come round to make sure that you are storing everything safely and they need to know about it in case you ever have a fire in your house, but it's not a big deal. Can you ask at your local fire brigade ?

Holy Crap.

I just printed out the application to register my trade name and after reading all this, I am thinking about tearing it up already.

Geez, my hubby's a firefighter and he has to deal with hazmat stuff all the time and he never even thought twice about me and my lye. In fact, I was just down at the fire house tonight and I was talking about making my stuff to the firefighters and the captain didn't blink an eye... not that that means you can go willy nilly w/out permits and stuff. Guess, I've got some research to do about Arizona's laws.

Back