Naming a soap after a cologne

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

Does anyone in the US know the law regarding selling a soap named after an established cologne or perfume?

I have ordered from a soapmaker here in the states who seems to have been in business for quite some time and sells a pretty large line of soaps. One of her soaps uses a fragrance fashioned after a men's cologne, and she has named the soap after the cologne as well.

Thoughts?

Yeah Ian - I'm with you - that is definately a trademark infringement - what you can do though is name the soap something else and say it smells just like (fill in the blank). Then there is no infringement.

I recently made a beer soap and I emailed the company asking for permission to use the beer's name for the soap or at least to be able to name it as an ingredient. They came back and said I could list the beer as an ingredient but not use the brand name in the name of my soap.

So I've kept the email and will be naming the beer in the ingredient list - maybe..... 8)

Thanks guys. This is pretty much what I was thinking, but I was pretty surprised to find out that this particular soapmaker named the soap directly after the cologne!

Latest posts

Back