FO discolor

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mommycarlson

Reaction score
So today I made a batch of basic lard soap, which comes out white, with the intent of coloring it half gold and half green to make my Green Bay Packer soap. I wanted it to have a "manly" fragrance so I ordered a couple from BB, the one I used today was "fierce". As soon as I added the FO to the soap it colored it a lovely caramel color. Unfortunately that is not going to color well with what I had planned. I did something else with the batch, not a big deal. But my question is, how do I know ahead of time if the FO will discolor my soap? Thanks!
Beth

BB are also great because they give a sample on their site of what colour you can expect the FO to turn out. They also say on the product description for "Fierce":

Performance in Cold Process Soap: This fragrance mildly accelerates in cold process soap. It does turn a crazy green color when first added, but that will mellow as it is combined with your batter. It will discolor to a slight purple color in the final bar.

https://www.brambleberry.com/Brambl...nce-Oil-P6364.aspx?Options=9656,0,0,0,0,0,0,0

Is the FO very dark colored, then it will tiny your base. This can be offset by using some extra colorant.

Discoloration from vanillian or other chemicals comes from oxidation as the soap cures.

From the webpage:

Performance in Cold Process Soap: This fragrance mildly accelerates in cold process soap. It does turn a crazy green color when first added, but that will mellow as it is combined with your batter. It will discolor to a slight purple color in the final bar.

So it should be. I would use a bit more mica to make sure the colors do not morph.

So today I made a batch of basic lard soap, which comes out white, with the intent of coloring it half gold and half green to make my Green Bay Packer soap. I wanted it to have a "manly" fragrance so I ordered a couple from BB, the one I used today was "fierce". As soon as I added the FO to the soap it colored it a lovely caramel color. Unfortunately that is not going to color well with what I had planned. I did something else with the batch, not a big deal. But my question is, how do I know ahead of time if the FO will discolor my soap? Thanks!
Beth
Read the reviews and descriptions. Soapsupplies.net has a Fierce that sells great for me and does not discolor or her site states little discoloration. I did not get any discoloration

If an FO contains vanilla, it will discolor, so as others have suggested, be sure to read the full description.:)

Thank you everyone. I read most descriptions but for some reason I missed that one. As stated in the description on the BB website, it said it would turn purple (it did not for me) and end up a light purple, we will see about that, it was a lovely caramel color immediately upon adding it to my soap. I'll unmold it tomorrow and see what I have, but I was afraid to add my green and gold to it, thinking it would just look dirty.

Thank you everyone. I read most descriptions but for some reason I missed that one. As stated in the description on the BB website, it said it would turn purple (it did not for me) and end up a light purple, we will see about that, it was a lovely caramel color immediately upon adding it to my soap. I'll unmold it tomorrow and see what I have, but I was afraid to add my green and gold to it, thinking it would just look dirty.

If you look at their sample bar it is a light caramel colour. Very very pale purple maybe??

Back