Your First Thought on My Logo

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm sorry, I saw baby product - like a logo for onesies, not pure and gentle soap. I don't see the correlation you are trying to make to Dove soap.

But hey, if it works for you go for it.

This is getting a little in-depth and really all I want to do is sell a nice, healthy product so the church can make a little money to help others, but here goes.

You can agree or disagree, but billions are spent to get you to do something, motivate you into thinking something, or believe something; even if you really don't want to believe it, buy it, can't afford it, or it supersedes logical thought processes. It works and believe me, you are manipulated all day, everyday by people who know how to skillfully and methodically do it. It's a science.

I often forget that people don't understand the science of psychology. My undergrad degree is psychology; summa cum laude U of I. Getting someone to buy your products is an emotional experience -- there are hundreds of products to choose from (many could be cheaper and better than mine) so why is someone going to choose my product? For example, they have a choice between a picture of a lamb in an old scrub pan over a product picturing a simple lamb with a name like lamb? Well, if you've got hundred thousand dollars and 4 years to get a psychology degree I can give you all the ins and outs of our brains complex thought processes, but since that isn't going to happen -- hahaha. Most of you would hate psychology but it is my passion -- why do people do what they do?

I just did a quick internet search on "psychometrics" and marketing. Here is a web site that has a free download on "motivemetrics" (how to motivate someone to buy your product). Human beings are very complex and we form "schemas" without conscious thought -- it's how we learn and we begin forming schemas (pictures if you will) very early in our childhood. Our brain creates and files the information, then cross-references. That's why when you see a lamb you think of baby's. Baby's, along with animals create emotions (one of the most powerful psychological marketing ploys), and those emotions are a part of the reason consumers buy a product. So, a baby and an animal, is double wammy on our brain and emotions. We categorize everything we see, touch, feel, smell, and experience emotionally. We do it and we don't even know why, and it creates emotion (unless you are a psychopath, then no emotion is created). So, if we have seen a logo numerous times, everything about the logo (color, font, picture, etc.) is categorized in our brain and it creates an emotion -- we don't know why blue is soothing when we see it, but it is. It's very complex and the human brain is very well researched in terms of getting people motivated to do something, especially to spend money. I'll stop here. Anyway, marketing isn't "I like the lamb in the tub", marketing is "what does a lamb convey to most people". It's an emotion.

If you don't like the opinions and input you received then you probably shouldn't have asked. You are free to do whatever you want to do. However, you don't need to tell us what psychology does. There are many many well educated people and many have successful businesses here. They gave you their time and experience. You can take it or leave it. It's just advice that others are freely sharing. Good luck to you

Most of you would hate psychology

I feel this is a jab at many of us for no reason.

I did not mean to insult you by the "lamb in the tub" picture. I was genuinely trying to help.

There is a psychology associated with that as well. As people, we associate bar soaps and suds with cleanliness and often with simplicity or a simplistic lifestyle. It is reminiscent of pioneering days thus, placed in conjunction with "pure and simple".

A baby lamb on the other hand, while cute and evokes emotion it makes you think of a baby or children. That is not the right kind of emotion that I want to think of when looking at a bath and body product. I want to feel a soothing emotion. Like I do when I take a bath or shower. I think that is why you have received the responses that you did.

I think if the logo will work for you, by all means use it. However, please don't discount the advice we gave here because we don't have a degree in human psychology. For all you know, some of us might.

Last edited:
This is getting a little in-depth and really all I want to do is sell a nice, healthy product so the church can make a little money to help others, but here goes.

You can agree or disagree, but billions are spent to get you to do something, motivate you into thinking something, or believe something; even if you really don't want to believe it, buy it, can't afford it, or it supersedes logical thought processes. It works and believe me, you are manipulated all day, everyday by people who know how to skillfully and methodically do it. It's a science.

I often forget that people don't understand the science of psychology. My undergrad degree is psychology; summa cum laude U of I. Getting someone to buy your products is an emotional experience -- there are hundreds of products to choose from (many could be cheaper and better than mine) so why is someone going to choose my product? For example, they have a choice between a picture of a lamb in an old scrub pan over a product picturing a simple lamb with a name like lamb? Well, if you've got hundred thousand dollars and 4 years to get a psychology degree I can give you all the ins and outs of our brains complex thought processes, but since that isn't going to happen -- hahaha. Most of you would hate psychology but it is my passion -- why do people do what they do?

I just did a quick internet search on "psychometrics" and marketing. Here is a web site that has a free download on "motivemetrics" (how to motivate someone to buy your product). Human beings are very complex and we form "schemas" without conscious thought -- it's how we learn and we begin forming schemas (pictures if you will) very early in our childhood. Our brain creates and files the information, then cross-references. That's why when you see a lamb you think of baby's. Baby's, along with animals create emotions (one of the most powerful psychological marketing ploys), and those emotions are a part of the reason consumers buy a product. So, a baby and an animal, is double wammy on our brain and emotions. We categorize everything we see, touch, feel, smell, and experience emotionally. We do it and we don't even know why, and it creates emotion (unless you are a psychopath, then no emotion is created). So, if we have seen a logo numerous times, everything about the logo (color, font, picture, etc.) is categorized in our brain and it creates an emotion -- we don't know why blue is soothing when we see it, but it is. It's very complex and the human brain is very well researched in terms of getting people motivated to do something, especially to spend money. I'll stop here. Anyway, marketing isn't "I like the lamb in the tub", marketing is "what does a lamb convey to most people". It's an emotion.

I agree with you, however please realize that slapping a lamb on a product doesn't mean it will sell or everyone would do it. You see besides the psychological there is also an intelligence you are dealing with. We don't run on instinct alone. Blue might be soothing, but paint a doctors office blue and I'll guarentee my blood pressure goes up just as much as if it were red. Why? Because my dislike for being sick and depending upon the medical professions (no disrespect meant to all the nurses out there) supersedes any psychological effect of color.
I would agree that marketing is emotion, however I still think you are on the wrong track with a lamb. Maybe it does provoke the right emotion in you, and maybe it will for your group but for me seeing a lamb on soap conveys a product meant for kids and babies therefore I would pass it by.

THE THE LAMB BEFITS THE PURPOSE.
Do not let our POV side track you.
The lamb fits the purpose now that I hear it for Church People.
GO WITH WHAT IN YOUR HEART. :)

I agree with you, however please realize that slapping a lamb on a product doesn't mean it will sell or everyone would do it. You see besides the psychological there is also an intelligence you are dealing with. We don't run on instinct alone. Blue might be soothing, but paint a doctors office blue and I'll guarantee my blood pressure goes up just as much as if it were red. Why? Because my dislike for being sick and depending upon the medical professions (no disrespect meant to all the nurses out there) supersedes any psychological effect of color.
I would agree that marketing is emotion, however I still think you are on the wrong track with a lamb. Maybe it does provoke the right emotion in you, and maybe it will for your group but for me seeing a lamb on soap conveys a product meant for kids and babies therefore I would pass it by.

I get a micro-second to induce people's brains to want to look at what I'm selling. There are literally thousands of people marketing bath&body and as a society we are inundated, over stimulated by all the b&b products on the market. I hear people saying you want people to be interested, you want to stand out. Please, I sincerely want to know: 1)How are you standing out? 2)What pic do you have that makes you stand out from a thousand others? 3)What brings people to your booth? 4)What emotion are you provoking? 5)Why do people want to visit ANOTHER b&b booth? 6)What research did you do to support your marketing approach? Anyway, it is food for thought. I want consumers to look so I have an opportunity to "sell" it. Once I pass that hurdle I can spend time selling/explaining why homemade lye soap is pure and natural, why I use honey, oats, olive oil, why it feels better, etc. etc. etc. And, a big one, I want people to REMEMBER my brand.

Last edited:
Teresa, I think there is a fundamental disconnect here. Ie; I think everyone is on board w/the notion that advertising in general is driven by the desire to tap into fundamental, often subliminal, emotions/feelings. However, based on the responses, I'm afraid that your label is not accomplishing that, at least here, and in the way that you want.

If you just want to sell to the church market, it might even be better to incorporate your original idea somehow, ie; the lamb w/the cross. I don't think it will hurt you there, and it could help. If you do want to reach a wider market I would think about what has been said here, though.

If you don't like the opinions and input you received then you probably shouldn't have asked. You are free to do whatever you want to do. However, you don't need to tell us what psychology does. There are many many well educated people and many have successful businesses here. They gave you their time and experience. You can take it or leave it. It's just advice that others are freely sharing. Good luck to you

What gave you idea that I don't like your opinions? I was supporting my ideas, like a thesis, and I welcome the feedback. I'm afraid there is a lot of emotion here, and I don't deserve to be slammed, because I sure didn't slam any of you.

I love Camay logo ImageUploadedBySoap Making1438812822.145431.jpg

I think the issue with trying to "match" an already existing brand is that they dont need an eye catching logo anymore. They are already established in the market and at the time of their initial logo design descisions, that may have been a good name. If "Dove" was just getting started as a company now, I can pretty much guarentee that they would not choose a logo like that.

I agree that I think the lamb is a bit odd for a soap label. Maybe something like "Lamb Lather Soaps" would be a better name?

I also think a different logo may look better. Maybe something more like this:

il_fullxfull.254083081.jpg

Just to be clear, I honestly like your picture better than mine, which is why I used that as an example. I think it is far cuter. My comments about the lamb pictures were coming from a cerebral "thinking" area of the brain, and nothing more. It is a very cute pic and I didn't mean anything back handed at all. Thanks for sharing it cuz it is much cuter than my simple drawing.

http://www.soapmakingforum.com//www.pinterest.com/pin/create/extension/

Well, this escalated quickly...

Personally, I feel like you are dismissing the opinions of some very talented and experience people here - opinions which you asked for, might I add. Instead, you've decided that we all need an in-depth lesson on psychology (I, too, have studied psychology at undergrad level) and want us to say that yes, your logo is just like Dove and that automatically means that everyone will buy it, la la la...

It doesn't appeal to me, but it might do to others. To me, it looks old-fashioned and dated, and I really think you ought to take a step back and re-read some of the great, constructive criticism that has been handed to you freely from the lovely people on this forum.

If this was some sort of odd psychological test, then I'm just annoyed that so many of us have wasted our valuable time trying to help you with a logo, only for you to throw it back in our faces. Just my two cents.

Theresa, thank you so much for explaining yourself. I greatly appreciate it. I voiced my opinions because I didn't want to be offended if in fact, no offense was meant by your comments.

I think NA is right that the cross and lamb may actually work to your advantage in your instance.

What gave you idea that I don't like your opinions? I was supporting my ideas, like a thesis, and I welcome the feedback. I'm afraid there is a lot of emotion here, and I don't deserve to be slammed, because I sure didn't slam any of you.

Nobody is slamming you. They are giving you their opinions and telling you that the kind of thing you are trying to evoke with your label isn't doing what you would like it to do. That is all. It's your product and you need to do what you feel is best for you and your product. If the lamb is it then go with it. To each their own that's why we do what we do. Opinions are just that, opinions and we all have one. This is a forum and you can read the responses how you like. I meant nothing hurtful, just supporting many of those who responded like you did your thesis theory as you were trying to support your idea.

We are all here to bounce ideas off as long as we are able to take critical responses. Usually people are just being honest and trying to make us think as it's always nice to see things from another perspective.

Dorymae said:
You see besides the psychological there is also an intelligence you are dealing with. We don't run on instinct alone

Quite true. :thumbup:

Leave it to me to be one of the few that didn't think of babies or children. lol The moment I saw your logo, my pragmatic side kicked in and I immediately thought, 'Oh, I wonder if there's lanolin in the ingredients?'

My mind went that way because I myself use a lamb on one of my own labels- a lip balm label- not so much as a logo (because I actually don't have a logo), but because I have lanolin in the ingredients of that particular balm, and I thought it would be an easy (and cute) way of differentiating that balm from my others that don't have lanolin. I also label that particular lip balm as, "Lip Baahlm". :) I don't sell or anything, by the way- this is for my own amusement and the amusement of those I gift my balm to. lol

IrishLass :)

Tbck as sharp as you are, it is pure Bs what you trying to push on us. I do not want to say it, but I finished fine art school in Europe and worked as fabric desinger for years.
I would not expose anyone to label or Logo as you call it........You telling us about your psychology and how educated you are.........I am laughing out loud lady, I am :)) truly

So much has been said, but let me also add that there is much more to graphic design than taking the color, picking a similar font and switching out animals (lamb for a dove) to create an equally well designed logo. A design can have those elements as the base of a concept but the designer would pull them together in a way that is esthetically pleasing. Spacing, proportions, contrast, thickness of the lines make a huge difference as well. Maybe you should stay true to your concept but take some previous posters advice and get a design student to look at it.

On the other hand, if you really don't want to go through the trouble, that's your choice as well. I love the name, and I think that the idea of the lamb is nice. You can always rework the look in the future if you decide to appeal to a broader audience.

Tbck as sharp as you are, it is pure Bs what you trying to push on us. I do not want to say it, but I finished fine art school in Europe and worked as fabric desinger for years.
I would not expose anyone to label or Logo as you call it........You telling us about your psychology and how educated you are.........I am laughing out loud lady, I am :)) truly

I'm not trying to push anything on you, and I posted in response to some of the comments. It was to clarify my thinking when I created the logo and get feedback in the form of marketing and logos. I'm not quite sure why you are going out of your way to be rude to me. I'm glad you are so experienced in art. It's a shame your comments were more to make me feel small than to share your education with me because your experience could have been helpful. I guess I have a thick skin and can take it, but I am sensitive to the personal attacks.
http://www.soapmakingforum.com//www.pinterest.com/pin/create/extension/

Back