Jumping into business too soon

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
how about tutorials...

It doesn't surprise me to see new soapers selling their wares, the internet and yes the Soap Queen contribute to the idea of "You too can Make money selling your soap"... I don't tweak recipes.. I really don't know a lot of the chemistry behind the process but been making soap since before stick blenders were a necessary tool...JMO Also have some boxes of "USB" (unidentifiable soap bars).

Last edited:
I was reading forums, watching You Tube videos, learning about soapcalc.org and how to use it, and buying soap from crafters for 4 years before I ever made my first batch of soap. I LOVED IT! I have been making soap for just over a year now. I still smile when I ask a butcher if they will sell me tallow, or I go into a ethnic market, find an oil I've never heard of and ask the proprietor about it. I get my answers and I'm asked "can I ask why you'd want it?" My smile is so big it HAS to be ugly, and I tell them "I make soap". For this reason alone I know I'm not ready to sell.
I know it's not really, but it still feels like a miracle to me. I read about the chemical reaction and how it works, but still - for me, it's a miracle. I've tried about 40 of my own recipes so far (friends and family haven't bought soap since I started making it) they love most of my recipes.
I come to this forum and see so many beautiful soaps. Mine look nothing like them. Mine are plain but sometimes I do color some with different color clays and other natural colorants, but that in itself is a learning curve. Mine are also not as nicely scented as most describe theirs to be on the forums. That's when I learned about burn off of eo's. First thing anyone does with home crafted soap is to smell it. I have no points regarding this yet either.
My product is useful, very pleasant to use, but there is no way I could compete at this time with the beautiful products I see sellers market.
I also know I am not a natural talent. If I wish to become a seller one day, it's going to take a lot of hard work on my behalf (I won't mention the expense because I don't know if I can keep it up much longer and it makes me worried I'm going to have to quit trying).
I know there are many people who are a much quicker study than I am, and it wouldn't surprise me that they beat me to market.
That said, I've purchased some pretty crappy soap at farmers markets, craft shows, etc. I've purchased some I truly loved too.
Maybe in a year or two I'll be ready to sell a product I'm truly proud of.

Mary
Minnesota
When mine look nice and I can tell you how nice it smells, I'll actually post a picture.

Mary
Minnesota, U.S.A.

As a newbie and someone with the long term goal of selling, I just wanted to say that my personal experience with this forum has been wonderful. I've learned a lot both by reading extensively and having questions answered.

I think the thing I appreciate most is that people who have successful businesses are open with their experience down the the point of sharing techniques and recipes. They certainly have no obligation and indeed are taking a risk that they are educating their competitors.

I used to work at an international company moderating forums and doing social media (before it was called social media) and I continued in forums long after I left my job. This forum has to be amongst the most welcoming and friendly I have been on. I'm quite sure this place has it's share of conflicts, but the environment is one of encouragement and sharing rather than the toxic one-ups-manship and sabotage seen in many many other places (forums in general not just soapmaking).

This is not meant in an unkind way but something I seriously hope anyone who is deeply offended by this thread considers. Having had my own business before, you need the skill, experience and confidence not only to sell your product but educate your customers on your industry as a whole. If you can be derailed by a few strangers on a message board, you might want to consider what will happen when you come face to face with someone who doesn't have the social grace to treat you well, or (unfortunately) just wants to put you on the spot and make you uncomfortable.

Back