How much should i price my soap?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

juliawhas

Reaction score
I'm having so much trouble! shipping for me costs 5.60, and each bar costs 40 cents, plus deductions which is .50 plus 6.9% of the money i recieve (i'm really confused). i have no idea how to charge, but when i tried on my own, i only earn two dollars from making soap. is that average? how much do you earn each bar of soap?:confused::confused:

I am a little confused by the post. You charge 40 cents for the bar but shipping the bar costs 5.60? I am lost. Not trying to sound rude, but could you restate that?

Excuse me, but you don't sound like you belong here. Since this is your first post, we will keep an eye on you. Suspicious posts are watched closely.

Maybe her English is bad?? IDK Sounds like she's not stating things right. What do you think he/she could be doing?

Seriously curious.. also not asking rudely. :)

I think what she is say is each bar costs .40 to make, that plus taxes and paying shipping herself in giving her $2.00 profit per bar.

Yes Obsidian. And sorry i'm like panicking so im not talking straight. and i dont get how i don't belong here and is suspicious? although i am new here to making and selling soap. I need utter help on how to price.

And i'm asking fellow soap makers, how much money do you earn from selling your homemade soap (minus the shipping and tax expenses)

:) You're not being rude. I speak English well... but it's just I have no idea how to express my problems because I'm really new to soap making. Anyways, what I was trying to say was it costs me $0.40 to make a bar of soap. I want to charge my soap (because I'm selling) a maximum of $5 and minimum of $4 (because taxes take a lot). I calculated, and the money I get (taking away shipping and taxes costs) only $2.

I'm asking how much money do you receive from YOUR soap making, taking away shipping and taxes?
Thanks for being polite.

I'm just confused. How much does it cost for you to ship a bar of soap? I checked online USPS and it said 5.60 flat rate...I'm really new at all of this so help please! :)

each soap i make costs .40 cents. shipping the bar costs 5.60 (i think) and taxes take some dollars. i really need help on pricing, because i caculated and the money i get when someone buys a soap is on average $2, when i charge $5 (for shipping and taxes). how much does it cost you to ship a bar? and plus, how much money do you get when someone buys your soap?

I'm really new to soap making too! I don't sell mine, since I don't think I'm ready, but $2 profit per bar sounds like a lot to me for a new soap maker. I give my 'apprentice' soaps away. ;)

Are you paying for shipping yourself? Generally, the buyer pays shipping not the seller.

How much do you earn for each bar?

Hi! I'm new to soap making.
With shipping, Etsy, and Paypal costs, I calculated what my pricing should be, and I decided with $5 (average selling price on etsy), and I don't want to sell it anymore expensiver.

However, not including the costs, I receive $2 a bar. Is that how much you earn a bar, or more? And how much do you charge for shipping (I split it; half in my soap bar price, half for the charge)

I appreciate all help :smile:

If you are getting $2 for each bar that is not doing too bad.

What I try to do is calculate my expenses as a whole.

So for me it would be rent, tools, cost of supplies.

I charge depending on how much my supplies. (That changes per bar) Than the average is to 2X the cost of the bar should be what you are selling at.

Than your profit for the supplies would be one half. Than you minus all the other things you pay for, rent comes off, tool costs, etc. If you are making more that that, plus approximately a good wage. (Payment as if you were working at another job.) And you are still making money, than you are doing well.

Hopefully that works.

If you are shipping out your soap, you shouldn't be paying for that. They should. Hopefully that is understandable. I am not always the best at describing things.

It is :) But I'm not paying for shipping, the customers are, it's just I add half the shipping expense in the price, and when I minus that and the rent, I get $2. How much do you earn a bar?
How much does it cost you to ship a bar? And I'll try that method.

I'm not paying for it, I'm just adding the shipping expense into the price so it seems less expensive (the shipping), and it's more fair and effective that way.

May I ask a question? How much does it cost for you to ship a bar of soap? And how much do you earn per bar? :) Thanks for all your help!

I don't ship. I sell at shows or storefront. Calculate everything and see if you get still come out with a profit. If so, you are doing well. If not, you might be undercharging or are buying supplies that may be too high of priced.

I am making $2 profit, just like I calculated.Thank you so much! What is your profit?

Honey, I don't think anyone is comfortable answering your question specifically. Check etsy if you want to know what people are charging for handcrafted soap.

My soap costs .57 cents to make a 4.5 oz bar, I sell it for $4.95, pay 20 cents for the listing and 17 cents selling fee, plus the pp fee, so I make at least $4.00 a bar. The buyer pays the shipping cost.

Oh silly me! I meant how much you earn each bar of soap...so I can see if $2 is an average. I'm so new to this *facepalms* forgive me

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back