How did you go about naming your business?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Our farm has a lot of blackberry canes along the ditches and I love Beatrice Potter's Brambly Hedge. Bramble Berry was already taken so I named my little enterprise Briar Acres.

I love naming businesses. Right now when I start selling my soap will be under our farm name which is Blue Moon.

Here is some hints. Town name, street name, your favorite color, zodiac sign, favorite gem stone. Your name in combo with one of the above or even a favorite pet. You could just change the color of your last name to match this years color which is emerald. When you come up with some name choices do a poll here and see what we can make of it for you. You never know what will happen then. It might just knocked your socks off. :)

I remember how hard it was for my former employer to come up with a name for his new gaming store. So, even though I haven't done any soap making at this point I wanted to get my business out of the way so I didn't have to worry about it later.
I admit I am a long time D&D player & medievalist. So when I began to think about it one name popped into my head almost immediately...The Moonshae Isles. In a fortunate misspelling I reversed the a & e, and Moonshea Botanicals was created.
I then began research on that spelling and realized that I liked it better. I also found out that Shea is an Irish Celtic name that means Majestic. Being of Irish & Scottish heritage myself I thought that was appropriate.

My dad asked my older daughter when she was about 2 how dinner was one night. She said it was "good" and he said "was it delicious" she said "yeah Papa, it was goodlicious" and of course we thought it was so funny and cute it's stuck. We say everything is goodlicious instead of delicious. When it came to naming my soaping company, I went right to goodlicious although it didn't sound specific enough so I named it Smellicious. Seemed fitting lol

I'm just now getting my ducks in a row to form a business, but I've had a name and logo that I use on the soaps I give away for more than 2 years.
The name popped into my head out of the blue one day when I was making soap. I wasn't even THINKING about names for a soap company...geez, I wasn't even thinking about selling my soap at that time! But it was so perfect for me, and felt so "right", that I started using it on the cigar bands of the soaps I was giving away :)

The pressure was off to name my business right away, so it has taken some extra time. I really like oxymorons and loved the name "Grandiose Simplicity." It described my soaps well, since they feel great, but are mostly rather plain jane to look at (by choice.) However, I recalled Shawnee saying many were not sure about the word "alchemy" and with that and being concerned people around here would think the name itself was "grandiose," I decided against that one. I finally came up with the name "The Odd Duck." I AM an odd duck. Just a different sort of personality (that sometimes gets me in trouble). And the duck part seemed to fit well with water and thus soap.

I was mulling this over as I looked at business cards on Vistaprint and saw the cutest rubber duckie with a feather boa, and knew that was the right choice. So "The Odd Duck" is it!

I never realized how hard it would be to name a soap company until I started googling the dozen or so names that I was thinking of. I noticed A LOT of people have Etsy shops but not necessarily a corresponding website . My hubby works in ecommerce and strongly advised me to come up with an original name which is much easier said than done.

I'm tossing around names but I'm not in need of one right away. I'm reserving NAME HERE because I am going to end up with something more rustic and organic I think. Originally, when I started tossing around ideas for making toiletries and what I would do once I had them, in my brainstorming notes I have a bunch of stuff with Alchemy or Apothecary in it. I wanted a Victorian Apothecary Noir feel - like you walked into a steampunk doctor's office, but in the end while I love the touch of gothic, I don't know enough about it to make a brand around it. So I decided I'm going to do something more natural to me, otherwise it will come off fake and obviously uncool. :)

ETA: I removed the name because it occured to me the name isn't yet registered. My domain expires next week so I am going to reserve and add on the soap name domain to my account. I've already checked and the domain variations are all available and there's nothing even remotely matching that name registered, so if anyone buys it, you're stuck with it, and I will never ever ever buy it from you at an inflated price. Ever. :)

Last edited:
Mel, I love your description of a steampunk doctor's office :) I am trying to figure out what I would name my business if I ever started one, the name Badger is already being used by another company.

I went with New England Handmade Artisan Soaps pretty much out of the blue and right away. I think regional names have a lot of appeal, as has already been said. Worcester is pretty urban and kind of gritty. It doesn't have the same kind of appeal to name a company after Worcester. :razz:

So I'm a little late to the party here, but my business is Sweet Destiny Candle Company, which I've shortened to Sweet Destiny Candles, or sometimes even just Sweet Destiny-Candles and More! Destiny is/was my daughter (she passed away at 4 months) and everyone always called her Sweet Baby Destiny. I started my business not long after she passed, and thought that naming it after her would be a great way to always carry her with me.

My husband has called me "Miz Jenny" (I'm from North Carolina) since the day we met. When I was toying with a name, he said "Miz Jennys World," and that suited & described me just fine. The "World" part is because I also have natural body products & sometimes show up with gourmet cupcakes, artisan breads, homemade cheddar buttermilk biscuits, beaded sterling silver jewelry, depending on my time.

Those are all wonderful ideas. I have had MANY businesses.....once I find something I really like I check gmail and hotmail to make sure I can get an email address (if Im not getting any web hosting with email) and check allwhois.com to make sure you can get the .com.

Mine was fortunately quite easy. I LOVE ducks. Ducks are my thing. A % of sales goes to a duck rescue. It took all of about a half hour to throw duck related things out with my family to settle on a name.

I guess if you love something and you have a thing, it is easy. So for anyone trying to think of a name, I would say to dig down and find your thing.

My plan is to take my two duck boys to farmer's markets this summer.... They were a smash at the flea market for xmas. Super friendly and will allow petting and holding. Perfect mascots! And... When I make something apple, it will be called Apple Quack. Haha.

Holly
Le Lucky Duck ~ Lotions, Potions & Suds

I am a surgical nurse and sat down with a bunch of co-workers and we came up with Scrub Happy Soaps... Lots of us are Scrub nurses- :eek:

Latest posts

Back