My first salt bars finished today (pic)

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steve4soap

Reaction score
Tried my hands at salt bars yesterday morning. Unmolded and cut them today. I think they turned out okay? I used Moroccan Sea Salt and BB cellini blue mica to get the blue color. As usual, I used a tupperware mold and didn't detail them as I don't sell my soaps.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

i am surprised you could cut them!! most salt soap has to be cut within a couple hours of pouring or it crumbles and gets too hard to cut.
i like the color. :)

It took some manly strength to cut through them! I was surprised just how rock hard they were. I let them sit in the mold for a good 25 hours too.

Do salt bars have a lower cure time or something?

Those look cool! I am also very surprised you could cut them - I have to cut mine within 2-3 hours usually or put them into individual molds.

They don't have a shorter cure time, in my experience anyway. My salt bars are actually better with a slightly longer cure time of 6-8 weeks, and one formula requires about 10 weeks even.

That is a pretty color. I like my salt bars to have a longer cure time - at least a couple of months. However, this is just personal preference. You'll have to test yours at different intervals to see what you prefer.

Hazel said:
I like my salt bars to have a longer cure time - at least a couple of months. However, this is just personal preference. You'll have to test yours at different intervals to see what you prefer.

me too

Because of the High CO content, I notice a longer cure is definitely helpful; however, I have found the setting up time til cutting to be very short...a few hours at most before the soap resists cutting with a knife and a few hours more before I can't even cut it with a flatblade or wire.

Many people will make their salt soaps in single bar molds so that they don't have to worry about cutting.

WOW! Can you come and cut mine for me?!? Seriously, I cut mine while their still warm and only about 4-5 hours after making them! I've also found a longer cure best. Your bars are lovely!!

Wow! I love the color and the texture both. I haven't ever made a salt bar but that is sure inspiration.

The look is quite attractive. What are the qualities/uses of a salt bar?
Is it a particularly scrubby end result?

Love the colour! It's amazing you were able to cut your bars after so long. I make my salt soap in individual moulds (silicon muffins), as it's too hard to cut after four hours and I can't be bothered watching it, as I make quite a lot.

I let my soap bars cure for two to three months.
What are the qualities/uses of a salt bar?
Salt is a good at exfoliating and I use table salt, which is fine and great to use as a facial bar. Salt also draw fluid and I've been told by the beautician who loves my salt soap as a facial bar, that it draws moisture to her face. I superfat my salt soap 20%, which gives it conditioning qualities.
Is it a particularly scrubby end result?
This will depend on the size of the grains of salt.
Do salt bars have a lower cure time or something?
Salt bars appear better if given a longer cure. I prefer mine after two to three months.

I use fine sea salt and I've never found it to be scrubby. However, my skin still feels smooth and soft after using a salt bar. I have tried strawberry seeds for a scrubbier effect. I learned (painfully) after the first batch that you only need an itty bitty amount of seeds for scrubbiness. It's true - less is more. :lol:

Back