Supplier suggestion for soap mold?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

saltydog

Reaction score
Hi All,
Just wondering..I've been looking for a 4# (or there abouts) silicon lined wood soap mold. I was looking at Upland Soap Molds but they don't exist anymore.
I found one from China on Ebay, but I hesitate to order from China.

Woodfields has very nice molds, but the one I want is over $100 and I can't afford that.
Just wondering if anyone has any suggestions for me? Thanks so much, I miss being on here, the Holidays are making me crazy!!

you can use the silicone Wilton molds at Michaels, or a Pringle's can.. Line a shoe box with freezer paper, that works well too. That's the more "economical" suggestions.

BluebirdMama said:
you can use the silicone Wilton molds at Michaels, or a Pringle's can.. Line a shoe box with freezer paper, that works well too. That's the more "economical" suggestions.

I have a 2# wood mold that I got on ebay and line with freezer paper. It works great, but I would love to find something a little larger with the silicon liner in it so I don't have to do the freezer paper thing. Anything I find just seems so $$$
Haven't tried the pringles can yet, may just try that too, thanks!

Ya know, I think I may just have to try the WSP loaf mold. It's almost the same size that I have now, but at lease I don't have to line it!
Thanks, ToniD, that was very helpful.

I'm not sure if this is helpful or not, but for the pink slab mold from WSP I use 60 oz oil. I normally soap with a 33% lye solution. I do like the mold, but wish it wasn't scored on bottom. I thought that was cool when I ordered it, but I'm afraid to use it for column pours, etc. because of "drag". It also limits your cuts.

I also tried out a suggestion for one of my wooden log molds. Cut the craft foam to fit as a liner (label each side). Apply a little vaseline or mineral oil to the wood and the liners stay in place fairly well. Come off easily, rinse, ready for next batch. That's an alternative to freezer paper each time. I don't how long the foam will last, but I'm guessing at least 10-20 batches.

Do you know anyone who does wood working? They are super simple to make if you have any skills. Just buy your silicone mold and have someone build a mold for it. If you don't know anyone, ask a wood worker, I think it would be way cheaper than you expect.

kharmon320 said:
I'm not sure if this is helpful or not, but for the pink slab mold from WSP I use 60 oz oil. I normally soap with a 33% lye solution. I do like the mold, but wish it wasn't scored on bottom. I thought that was cool when I ordered it, but I'm afraid to use it for column pours, etc. because of "drag". It also limits your cuts.

I also tried out a suggestion for one of my wooden log molds. Cut the craft foam to fit as a liner (label each side). Apply a little vaseline or mineral oil to the wood and the liners stay in place fairly well. Come off easily, rinse, ready for next batch. That's an alternative to freezer paper each time. I don't how long the foam will last, but I'm guessing at least 10-20 batches.

Kerri, I'm still using your awesome soap from the Halloween swap, I love it!
I do have the BB divided tray mold, (which i love for salt soap) but your craft foam idea is very interesting. I just ask for craft foam at Michaels? And it doesn't leak?! sounds like something I wanna try before ordering the silicon log mold :)

Soapy Gurl, I wish I knew a wood worker! My hubby has the skills of Frankenstein when it comes to wood working lol. That would be perfect though with really good insulation and I like to gel. I'm gonna pay attention the from now on to who I know who may possess wood working skill!
Good ideas~

Soapy Gurl said:
Do you know anyone who does wood working? They are super simple to make if you have any skills. Just buy your silicone mold and have someone build a mold for it. If you don't know anyone, ask a wood worker, I think it would be way cheaper than you expect.

I have a couple silicone molds that bow out and so my husband built a wooden mold to go around them. That was harder than you'd expect. Took far more effort and a few tries to get it right, as compared to making regular wooden molds for me. The WSP molds don't need the side support that wood offers and it is probably easier to insulate another way, IMO

ToniD said:
The WSP molds don't need the side support that wood offers and it is probably easier to insulate another way, IMO

I was wondering about the possible bowing and that's why I prefer wood. Thanks for mentioning it.

Latest posts

Back