Ugly soap..help?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spoiledpony

Reaction score
Hello all-
I stumbled onto this forum a few days ago and since have spent every spare minute (er, hours) reading posts. It seems like there are a lot of helpful and knowledgable folks here!

I'm hoping that some of you helpful, knowledgable folks might be willing to point out what I'm doing wrong? I've been making soap (just for myself & family) for over a year, always using the same recipe and process. The soap is nice: lathers well, doesn't dry out my skin etc. no complaints there...but it's just flat ugly! And I think it has the DOS (dreaded orange spots?) I've seen so much talk about, though it doesn't smell bad at all. I'll try to attach a pic here:

[/img]

hmmm, I don't think that worked, LOL!
What I'd LIKE to have is a nice, even creamy-white colored bar, instead of brown with orange spots!

My recipe is: (all by weight)
8 ozs Goat Milk, frozen
4.55 ozs Lye
6 ozs Olive Oil
22 ozs Coconut Oil

I used the lye calc from thesage.com.

I hope this isn't too long or asking too much on my first-ever post! If the process I used makes a difference I don't mind posting it.

kat.

Welcome!

Yeah, Milk soaps get browner than their water counterparts. You already freeze the milk, which helps to keep them light. If you try to avoid gel by keeping the soap cool after you put it in your mold that can also help to keep the soap lighter. Possibilities are: Don't insulate, put it in the fridge or freezer, use individual molds. Soap at cooler temps to start with.

Since you use a 36% lye concentration that might make your milk a bit darker when you add the lye. You could lower your lye concentration--use more liquid.

I use 33% lye solution and I add the lye to distilled water, then put my milk in my oils. It helps to keep things lighter. (not white, though) Of course the trade off is that I have less milk in the recipe.

HTH

pic added (i think)

Thanks ToniD for your welcome and suggestions!

ok, let's see if i figured this out (thanks to Dagmar for instructions he posted to someone else asking how)
Soap002.jpg

if this shows up...the soap gets somewhat darker over time. If it would just stay this solid tannish color (without the spots) i'd be happier with it.

I'm trying to figure out if tthese orange spots are really DOS or if i might be adding my lye too fast and maybe scorching the milk? Not sure if anyone can tell from the pic...
I have been insulating for 24 hrs after i put the soap in my mold. If i put it in the freezer instead, how long should i keep it there before i cut it up? I read in one of the posts that metal racks shouldn't be used for curing but it didn't say why, i have been using SS racks. Should i find plastic ones?
And finally, is there something i can add to make my soaps lighter/ whiter?
Thanks to anyone with some advice :)

Back