All about canning/pickling! I want to learn!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

agriffin

Reaction score
A few things I want to do this year are learn to make jams/jellys and pickled stuff. I have some cucumber and okra growing. My boyfriend always raves on his Grandma's pickled okra and I know my Dad loves that stuff...so I really want to give it a go.

So can everyone post their tips/tricks/stories/memories...really anything canning or pickling? I would love to hear about them!

Thanks!
Amanda

I have wanted to do this as well but don't want to buy the special equipment... I like that the site you posted has "applesauce for a meal" so you can just make a small amount easily!

You're in luck if you want to do jams/jellys and pickled stuff because they don't require as much work or equipment as canning vegetables do. You'll probably be able to get by with just the basics. If your making pickles I would also suggest you try Mrs. Wagers (a premixed packet available in gro.) it makes the GREATEST pickles, my kids love them, and it comes with easy to follow directions. Remember to pick your pickes and cucumers before they get big, they are so much crisper when they are smaller. And I ALWAYS, ALWAYS use sure gel for jelly/jam. Again easy to follow directions that result in wonderful (NO FAIL) jams and jellies...they both make you look like a pro.

dcornett said:
You're in luck if you want to do jams/jellys and pickled stuff because they don't require as much work or equipment as canning vegetables do. You'll probably be able to get by with just the basics. If your making pickles I would also suggest you try Mrs. Wagers (a premixed packet available in gro.) it makes the GREATEST pickles, my kids love them, and it comes with easy to follow directions. Remember to pick your pickes and cucumers before they get big, they are so much crisper when they are smaller. And I ALWAYS, ALWAYS use sure gel for jelly/jam. Again easy to follow directions that result in wonderful (NO FAIL) jams and jellies...they both make you look like a pro.

Thanks!

I tried making strawberry jam without pectin a few months ago, it turned out OK, but was a bit runny :D If you cook it long enough it is alright though. There are a ton of recipes and things on the internet, but don't trust them all, it is better to learn from people around you, (or people here! :D ) that you know for sure have tried these things.

Back