problems with ash?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zajcek

Reaction score
How often do you have problems with ash on the soap? What do you do with the soap with ash?

You know, I really don't have a problem seeing ash on my soaps. To me, it's part of the handmaking process. When cured however, you can take a clean paper towel and wipe it off - if it offends you. It's not harmful.

I used to get ash all the time, I don't so much anymore. I'm not sure what really causes it, but haven't seen much on my soaps for a few months now.

Oh, one other way that you can get rid of it. After you soap has cured, run your soap across a beveler to scrape it off. You can always use the shavings in another batch of soap as "confetti"

another option spritz soap w/ rubbing alcohol. I dont know why it works.I dont care enoughto do anything but cover soap while in mold.

I spray 91% alcohol on the top after the soap has a minute to set up. Let it dry, and repeat. Just a couple sprays above it that fall evenly, a small fan to dry evenly if you need to. Textured tops can gather more alcohol in certain areas, and 'peaks' can have ashy undersides, but I think that makes the soap prettier.

Hi, thank you all of you for information. I think, I'll make confetti soap (I don't have rubbing alcohol - would need to research, what is this :oops:). SpottedCat, is it important, how much pieces do you add to the "fresh"soap. I understand, that I don't need to remove ash from pieces before adding pieces to a trace, is it true?

Hi - the amount of confetti would be personal preference on the look. I usually use about 2 cut bars worth (about 10 oz, which I measure in a container) for a 3 - 3 1/2 pound recipe. This amount (10oz) would need to be subtracted from my recipe). So say I usually use 40 oz of oils, I would use 30 oz of oils. I Re-calculate my recipe for 30 oz of oils through the lye calculator and make the fresh batch of soap, then add the 10 oz of confetti at trace, pour into my mold and gel. I like to use the CPOP method when using the confetti to make sure it gets a good gel. (If you're going to use fragrance for the new batch, remember to use the proper amount for 30oz of oils). Hope this helps! Happy soaping!!

Oh forgot to answer the question about removing the ash for confetti. No you don't have to remove that when you shred the soap. It will disappear when immersed into the fresh batch.

I get ash,i "embrace" it! It does look cool w textured tops. I tried the alcohol, trying to rub it off, it didnt work so well.

I don't have rubbing alcohol - would need to research, what is this

Rubbing alcohol is methyl alcohol - the kind the doctor uses on your skin just before he/she sticks a needle into you. :D Not the kind you drink. [/list]

Latest posts

Back