Have you heard of LUSH?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've bought a few Lush products. I've loved them all, but do find them super expensive.

I had no idea their soaps were M&P either!

Material Safety Data Sheet warns users to avoid skin contact with propylene glycol as this strong skin irritant can cause liver abnormalities and kidney damage.

The same could be said for lye or fragrance oil. It's all in how it's used & diluted.

Propylene Glycol is in brake fluid & antifreeze, that does not mean Propylene Glycol = brake fluid & antifreeze. Water is in insect repellant, that does not mean water = insect repellant.

I have to admit being a little behind the trend here and I am just learning about Lush - I will say I find some of their ideas quite intriguing and makes me want to try to create something else I've never made.

It's fascinating where and when and how we will find inspiration.....bubble Bars - oooooooooo
meditationf.gif

Jnice999 said:
anything that you put on your skin enters your blood stream.

Not really. Absorption through the skin depends on the substance's molecular weight, ionization, solubility in fat, etc etc etc. That's why percutaneous absorption studies are done, to see what will and won't cross the skin barrier e.g. to see how safe/hazardous a substance is, or to find a way to get a drug into the body using the transdermal route.

ok so i am a little late posting here but Propylene Glycol is definitely not good for your skin.

Propylene Glycol

A cosmetic form of mineral oil found in automatic brake and hydraulic fluid and industrial antifreeze. In the skin and hair, propylene glycol works as a humescent, which causes retention of moisture content of skin or cosmetic products by preventing the escape of moisture or water. The Material Safety Data Sheet warns users to avoid skin contact with propylene glycol as this strong skin irritant can cause liver abnormalities and kidney damage.

I think people sometimes need to take a step back from emotive words and consider things dispassionately. Is it the truth that antifreeze, simply by being antifreeze, is bad for the skin? Antifreeze lowers the freezing temperature of water. Salt lowers the freezing temperature of water. The fact that something is used for one purpose does not make it automatically bad for another purpose.

Despite it being listed as a "mild skin irritant" on an MSDS, propylene glycol is used as personal lubricant...must not be particularly irritating to the average user. Or maybe it's just for the S&M folks :p

And I don't read the MSDS as implying that skin exposure will result in liver or kidney damage.

Sometimes when I am reading the INCI list for our ingredients I find I can't pronounce half of them either and yet I do know that they are natural with the exception of Lye. Which is why I prefer to label in plain language even though regulations require the INCI names - harrumph - evil government language..... :lol: 8) :lol:

Annmarie0407 said:
We went to the LUSH store and had to walk out. My husband and I both got headaches. I even checked out all the ingredients they had listed and could not pronounce anything.......hmmmmm Synthetic
INCI names are the chemical or latin names of the ingredients. EVERYTHING - naturally occurring or synthetic - is comprised of chemicals so don't let the names throw you. It's just a way of standardizing - and actually makes labels easier to understand once you know what's what.

pepperi27 said:
It just amazes me how they can have the mp soap all out like that even in the summer time and there is no sweating.

Lush Soap is not MP soap, it's HP soap. Yes they do make the soap off base and then rebatch later, but it's still just normal HP soap.

They use Sunflower, Canola and Coconut Oil as their recipe.

I like Lush and they were my inspiration to make soap, but they are rather expensive.

Here is the ingredients list for one of their soaps - this one contains SLS, but not all of them do and they are all salt bars.

Ingredients
Click on highlighted ingredients to learn more.
Water (Aqua), Propylene Glycol, Rapeseed oil; Sunflower oil; Coconut oil (Brassica napus; Helianthus annuus; Cocos nucifera), Sodium Lauryl Sulfate, Sodium Stearate, Perfume, Sodium Hydroxide, Titanium Dioxide, Vanilla Absolute (Vanilla planifolia), Sodium Chloride, Colour 18050

Hmmm from what I've seen (and experienced, I love Lush) most of the stuff sold on Lush-USA seem to be MP - with propylene glycol and Sodium Coco-Sulfate or Sodium Lauryl Sulfate (detergents) along with some soap.

I've been looking (kid home sick) for a bit and I have yet to find one that is purely HP soap that I can tell from the ingredient list.

Alkmaar (my fave scent): Honeysuckle Infusion (Lonicera capifolium), Amaranth Infusion (Amaranthus hypochondriacus), Sodium Palm Kernelate, Sodium Stearate, Sodium Lauryl Sulfate, Titanium Dioxide, Perfume, Glycerine, Jasmine Absolute (Jasminum officinale), Vetivert Oil (Vetiveria zizanoides), Styrax Resinoid (Styrax Benzoin), Sodium Chloride, EDTA, Tetrasodium Etidronate,.

Karma (my other fave) Water (Aqua), Propylene Glycol, Sodium Palm Kernelate, Sodium Stearate, Sodium Lauryl Sulfate, Perfume, Glycerine, Patchouli Oil (Pogostemon cablin), Orange Oil (Citrus dulcis), Lavendin Oil (Lavendula hybrida), Pine Oil (Pinus), Lemongrass Oil (Cymbopogan flexuosus), Elemi Oil (Canarium commune), Sodium Chloride, EDTA, Tetrasodium Etidronate, Gardenia Extract (Gardenia jasminoides), *Citral, *Geraniol, *Citronellol, *Limonene, *Linalool, FD&C Red No. 4,.

They are not salt bars. Where you see "sodium" it means the sodium salts of fatty acids - which simply means that the soap portion of the bar is made by reacting sodium hydroxide with the oils. Salt bars have salt as a large proportion (usually in the area of 40%) added to the soap.

What soap is your ingredient list from?

I honestly have never tried Lush, but I have never been tempted to. I have spent some time in the store in the Orlando Airport and I haven't been tempted to buy anything.... I don't care for the scents or the textures, but that is just me, and like I said, I have never actually tried their stuff...

Maybe thats why cause I do rebatch soap and I don't have anywhere near as many ingredients? Then again i'm no cp expert so I will look again. I've been to the stores and looked at the soaps up close and they "look" MP to me.

They make their own MP, in the form of soap noodles. It' a little different than regular MP, kind of a hybrid between Basic MP and the all natural MP.

Bret said:
Anyone know what EDTA is?
(ultra-late) we use EDTA tubes in the veterinary office to keep blood from clotting when doing blood analysis! who knew you could be rubbing that all over your body?

I went into a Lush store a few weeks ago....nearly passed out from the smells!

The sales woman backed me into a corner and rubbed this massage lotion into my arm...it did smell lovely

It hasn't been in South Australia for very long, wonder how long it will stay

Posted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:55 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I may be one of the few people who do not like Lush . Overpriced crap imh. Yes I have tried it .

Kitn

We pride ourselves on being the friendliest soap making forum on the net. Please abide by the following rules to keep it that way.

1.For the purposes of this forum, ALL products commonly known as soap are handcrafted/handmade, regardless of whether it began as oils and lye or a base that may or may not contain detergents. BOTH products qualify as handcrafted/handmade soap in this forum.

2.Disrespect and criticism of another member, their practices or choices, will not be tolerated.

3.Disrespect of any member of the soaping community, whether they hold memberships on this forum or not, will not be tolerated.

4.Disrespect of suppliers will not be tolerated. While everyone have the right to post experiences with suppliers, both favorable & not, it shall be done in a professional manner free from insult.

Any negative, nasty, offensive or questionable comments regarding the above points will not be tolerated and will result in that thread/comment being deleted by the Moderating Team without further reference to the member.

Continued posting of negative, nasty or offensive comments will result in that member being banned from the board.

Thank you!- The mod team

i just made some liquid crack tonight (rock star dupe). can't wait to see how it turns out. it's a strange smell oob. good.... nice...., but strange.

kinda like a person of the opposite sex you find strange, yet oddly arousing :shock:

Latest posts

Back