How soon to safely start selling?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
bconrade884 said:
Deda said:
Tread carefully, everyone. This thread WILL NOT turn into a train wreck.

Saltysteele, all you need to do is read back through a few thousand posts and you'll understand why we urge caution when you decide to start selling.

It's not rocket science, but it is science.

What does this post mean? WILL NOT turn into a train wreck??? I dont get it.

It means just that.

From the wiki -
The term "train wreck" is also used metaphorically to describe something disastrous yet inevitable, or distasteful yet morbidly fascinating. "You don't want to stare, but you just can't look away" is a common summary of this phenomenon.

Personally, I wouldn't sell soap after such a short time.

However, that said, it's up to the individual to do what they will. We're all adults, if you want to sell soap, then sell soap.

Keep in mind that you enter a whole new realm when you ask advice. You'll get answers you might not like.

juicybath said:
Just thought I'd jump in since y'all are probably referring to me...the newbie who already set up an Etsy shop. I actually haven't sold any of my soaps yet, just given to family and friends for testing. I set up my shop the other day when I had some free time. I have another etsy shop where I sell my bags, so I thought I'd get it started while I had the time to do it.
The shipping costs are so high that I doubt I'll be doing much selling on Etsy till I figure out how to overcome that issue. Who wants to buy a bar of soap and then pay $8.50 for shipping? Not gonna happen. So all of you who are jumping all over getting excited...don't panic.

I'll probably sell a few soaps at some small craft fairs I'm doing this fall, nothing big-just community and schools. I'm doing the legal stuff and getting the forms done for the gov't as necessary. I will have my labelling in place and follow the rules for that.
I don't profess to know all I would need to know to run a major soapmaking company. That's not my plan. I'm quite happy in my work and make a great salary as an RN. I don't want a big soap business, but it would be fun to be able to share some of my soaps and let some other people enjoy them and maybe subsidize my hobby a bit.

Well said Juicy, you do what is good for YOU. We are all adults and we so far have acted accordingly. It is an individual choice to sell or not and when that person deems themselves ready to sell. There are no rules set in stone by the soap Gods. At least, not that I know of. LMAO

This forum has actually scared me away from ever selling my soaps... My friends, family and co workers are begging me to sell it, but I refuse. I don't want anyone owning my house. Insurance scares me, it only goes so far. My sister's friend has offered money for my soap, I won't even do that...So...I will continue to make it and give it to my friends and family. If you think you are ready, try it, see what happens. If you have had great feedback from everyone that you give your soap to, you might be ready.

See that is not what should be happening. You should not be scared to purchase insurance, make a great product and market it. Fear is no good, and no one should be fearful to follow their dreams. I am sorry pug that your scared now, that is a shame. :cry:

I agree. Don't let an internet forum scare you! Just learn all you can and take the appropriate steps to protect youself and do the best job you can. Nobody said you need a chemistry degree to make soaps safely. Common sense people
:D

I've been making soap for almost 9 months and I could start selling now however, I'm smarter than that. I plan to carry on experimenting for a bit. I already have my safety assessments with 9 bases certified (not prone to dos). Of course I have my fave one. Anyway, the benefit of having the safety assessments is being able to look through and see exactly how much of what can be used and there are lists of things which I still need to play with :D

I BELIEVE Deda was referring especially to a rather heated discussion with a former forum member a little while ago that stemmed from said member selling dos prone soaps/not informing customers of her ingredients (i.e. lard soap to vegetarians) to people in her community after only having made a few batches.

8)

bconrade884 said:
See that is not what should be happening. You should not be scared to purchase insurance, make a great product and market it. Fear is no good, and no one should be fearful to follow their dreams. I am sorry pug that your scared now, that is a shame. :cry:

I guess I have just decided it is just not worth it. I am not a risk taker. And I like my house!! :)

artisan soaps said:
dagmar88 said:
http://soapmakingforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12375&highlight=guide

Dagnmar has pretty much spelled it out with that great guide to selling ..

Don't worry about what others are doing Gramma, you'll know when You are ready :D

I asked this question originally because I am considering selling, but not quite yet. I have figured out 2-3 good base recipes with an additional 2-3 'special' ones using mango butter, avocado and cocoa butter. I printed Dagmar's suggestions when it was originally posted. It is getting worn and I have read and reread it. I know my soap I make now is much better than I did 6 months ago. I pay attention to the quality numbers and by adding different ingredients have also added to the soap qualities above and beyond the numbers that calculators have given. My concerns have been with the soap after 6 months, 9 months, etc. DOS, scent, lather after established amounts of time. I am anal about this. I probably overthink everything. I have been sending soap out with friends and family with a full page form for them to full out. I want to know how they feel about every aspect of the soap. Color, scent, size, drying, irritating, if the color is left on facecloth. It is probably 25-30 questionaire I have them fill out. But, I only want brutally honest answers. I tell them it will not hurt my feelings. If they won't give honest answers then I don't want them testing my soap. I have always been sensitive to certain lotions, soaps and creams so I do not want to sell something that could also create this problem for a potential customer. Even though I also know others also have the same sensitivities. So a smart customer will read the ingredients and not purchase something they know they will react to. I was not finger pointing and to each his own, I just know I am not quite ready yet and neither is my soap.

:( I'm so sorry this topic was kinda taken away from you. In the end; you are really the only person who can judge how far into the process you are. But you sure sound like a very responsible lady and I'm sure you'll make it work :D Good luck!

Pug Mom said:
I guess I have just decided it is just not worth it. I am not a risk taker. And I like my house!! :)

Well, not to make you more paranoid, but I was wondering:
What's the difference in selling soap and giving it away?
If someone is gonna sue ya, they're gonna sue ya...either way.

CastorFan said:
Pug Mom said:

Well, not to make you more paranoid, but I was wondering:
What's the difference in selling soap and giving it away?
If someone is gonna sue ya, they're gonna sue ya...either way.

If someone sues you for giving a gift then, a) your home owners policy would cover you and b) you have rotten friends.

If you sell your soap and someone sues you then your HO insurance won't cover you. You would have to have a separate liability insurance in place. If you are selling and don't have the necessary insurance then ... I was going to say you'd be an idiot, but I'll play nice incase someone has a really good reason why you would be in business with no insurance.

Tell my why you would be selling and not have an insurance policy that specifically covers your handmade soaps?

Gramma - you are going at a great pace, and you are very professional in your testing. You will move along fast. I would be there already if I took as good notes the first year that you are already doing. Just save a bar of every batch.

Side note - what ever happened to "let the buyer beware"?? lol I will not let myself get worried about people sueing over a bar of soap. I will not worry because I will have proper labels, and will trust that my product will not harm anyone who took the time to read the ingredients. If someone wants to sue someone - they will more likely slip in a supermarket than go after work at home mom. Just my opinion :)

Gramma Judy, I think your questionaire is a great idea! I always ask friends and family for their opionions, but don't really get as much detail as I would like.

Deda said:
If you sell your soap and someone sues you then your HO insurance won't cover you. You would have to have a separate liability insurance in place. If you are selling and don't have the necessary insurance then ... I was going to say you'd be an idiot, but I'll play nice incase someone has a really good reason why you would be in business with no insurance.

Tell my why you would be selling and not have an insurance policy that specifically covers your handmade soaps?

From my understanding and experience (I'm no lawyer though, and don't play one on tv :lol: ) you can set up your business as an LLC. In that case someone can sue your business and take all it's profits and assets. However if you are a smaller company, you probably don't have the assets to make it a big deal to anyone. Your personal property, accounts, retirement, etc is all out of reach of any lawsuit.

JenniferSews said:
Deda said:

From my understanding and experience (I'm no lawyer though, and don't play one on tv :lol: ) you can set up your business as an LLC. In that case someone can sue your business and take all it's profits and assets. However if you are a smaller company, you probably don't have the assets to make it a big deal to anyone. Your personal property, accounts, retirement, etc is all out of reach of any lawsuit.

Luckily one of my good friends is a lawyer (who just happens to specialize in this kind of stuff) and for the price of a Starbucks coffee she gave me a bunch of legal advice and she said LLC was the way to go for exactly those reasons.

And you would be comfortable NOT HAVING INSURANCE? LLC or not?

If you want to sell to bigger wholesale accounts, chain health food stores, most larger craft/expos - like Natural Products East/West, you have to make them an additional insured on your policy. Even my little 3000 person a weekend farmers market REQUIRES an Additionally Insured Rider.

I suppose that Etsy doesn't have a policy, but then I don't sell on Etsy.

Latest posts

Back