Mall Retail Location - Pics added (Pic Heavy)

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lindy: If the mall requires a personal guarantee, see if you can get a "kick out" (early out or rights of early termination) clause. These are very common in commercial leases. Many landlords will allow them, especially in this market. You may have to pay a fee if you exercise your early out option, but it is another way of protecting yourself from a long lease term if you decide you want to terminate your lease or downsize (you will probably have to fulfill at lease a full year, maybe more in order to get an early out). In addition, you can ask for a transfer clause or first right of refusal on a larger space (in case you grow). Also, check the lease to see if it is a % lease. You would end up paying a % of your profits if it is. (I have done commerical sales and leasing for over 10 years, but I haven't done % leases, so I am not as familiar with them).

See if the landlord will give an exclusive on your agreement, so that you are the only soapmaker leasing in the mall. They probably will not do this in a mall, but you never know. Many of the franchises will not lease in the same strip center if they do not get this (example might be Subway and Quizno's).

Protect yourself at renewal also. Will they put an option to renew in your lease? If your neighbor has outgrown their space and needs three more bays. The landlord will not want to lose this tenant, therefore they will lease them the spaces next door upon the expiration of those leases. But if you have the option to renew, they can not do this unless you are moving out because you have the first option. Will they put a cap on rent increases upon renewal? The reason for this is to keep your rents from excalating too high.

Also, many management companies/landlords will give rental concessions. If the mall has a lot of vacancy, ask for this. You may be able to get your first months rent free or more. I've seen some individuals get up to a year free if they are doing their own extensive buildout. In commercial RE, you can ask for anything, the worst most landlords will do in this market is counteroffer your request.

And last, but not least... read everything on the lease...it is important. Show it to an attorney if you do not understand it. I hope this info helps you (and doesn't overwhelm). If I can think of anything else off the top of my head I'll let you know. Good Luck to you and Congratulations! Bnky

Bnky - wow that is wonderful information and advice! Thank you!!! I've decided to take my aromatherapist "offocial" training so I can become a certified clinical armoatherapist as part of my business. It looks like it will be a March start date because at this point unless I could get in the space next month it will be too close to Christmas and everyone knows where to find me within the mall right now so that's where they will look for me over the season. I don't want to go in right after Christmas because sales will be so slow and remain That way until March. It sounds like we are going to work out a lease where they start me very inexpenisvely and then work with my as my business grows to increase the rent until I am at full rent. They should have everything together for me next month once all the "big" guys are back from holidays. I've looked into licensing for aromatherapists in Canada and there isnt't anything, we are not a governed industry.

So at this point I am really leaning towards taking the space, but I am still feeling cautious until I have the offer and have had an opportunity to review it with my notary to make sure my interests are taken care of and protected.

Again thank you so much for the info!

Cheers
Lindy

Lindy, Good for you! I think you will do wonderful there. The space looks very nice in the pictures and it sounds like the management company is flexible and working hard to lease it to you. Arometherapist official training; that opens even more posibilities for your space! It sounds like you have really thought this through. I wish you a very prosperous future grand opening! Bnky

Latest posts

Back