Mall Retail Location - Pics added (Pic Heavy)

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lindy

Soap Diva Queen
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So the mall here in town where I'm at monthly and is my main kiosk - has asked me a couple of times now if I owuld like to go into a retail front there. Today they showed me a storefront that is being re-frubished and finished for a eye-glasses store who will only be using it for a few months. This space is gorgeous with an office in the back that I can make my soaps in, and area that I could do custom scenting on lotions, bath salts etc., a space for a proper office and then all kind of retail space in the front area to create a complete retail outlet.

Here's my problem, I am only newly in business, it would tie me into one location, I would need to hire someone to help me out at least 2 days a week for a few hours to allow me time to make soap (I can make non-lye products & still see what is happening out fron, leave it to serve customers and go back), and, and , and I'm a little frightened that this move is going to be too soon.

I'm waiting on them to confirm the rent, triple net, so I can compare my numbers as far as what I'm spending right now, including ferries, accomodation, fuel and eating out. I'm going to check with my insurance company to see how much the extrea insurance will cost, as well as with City Hall on my licensing.

Do you think I should be incorporated before entering this kind of agreement? What else do I need to consider? I can hire through a governmnet organization for disabled people that are higher functioning and the government will pay 50% of their salaries. There are companies here in town that have had good success with this.

TIA - I'm stressing here. It wouldn't be until the fall at the earliest....but still stressing - I so want to do everything righrt....

Oh Lindy , what a dilemma . A nice one but a dilemma all the same. :D
To me it would depend what my books said .Would I be assured of making enoughcash to cover the expenses and have some extra cash . What kind of a contract do they want ? Would they allow you to keep the lye in the mall?Lye is a really big issue with city hall here.( it is bordering on the ridiculous ). Would you be able to manufacture soap on site , would there be a potential for a customer or their children to be in any way near it. Would you need to pay compensation for the employees ? Could you store FO's there , because of flashpoints etc. Do you want to be tied down to a store, or do you enjoy the travel?
I can see why you are stressing there is a million and 1 things to think about or find out .
Having said all that I say if you really feel in your heart and your gut that it is the right thing to do , go for it . It is a major step for sure. Whatever you decide I wish you all the best.

Kitn

Thanks Kitn - the mall will let me keep all my product there as well as make my soap there (there is even a closed room in the back for just that purpose). In fact it's one of the carrots he's holding out - he's also willing to let me be closed Sunday & Monday during regular season.

I'm really glad the space won't be available for a few months....

Wow, that is really exciting! But I can understand why you'd be stressed and scared about it too.

I wonder what the contract would be. If you could test it out for a few months and see how it goes - then go back to your kiosks if it's not working out too well, I'd say give it a try! But, if you need to sign a year contract or something like that, and you're not sure - eeeeek!

I think it would depend on how much more the rent for the retail store would cost over the kiosk, and how good your sales tend to be in your home area.

Hmmmmm, a tricky decision.... good luck!! I do think it would be really cool and convenient to have your very own store. :D

I would say that should depend on how stable you are with your money right now. Also you said you are there once a month right now so ask yourself how are my sales at this location? You might be there 20X more but it will not mean 20X more in sales. I am conservative and tend to analize things to death. Don't go with your heart on this one, go with your gut. We all want to see you do well and wish you the best with whatever you decide.

Bruce

It seems that the mall is really trying hard to accomodate you. I like the short term lease idea.

Another thought- would you still be able to participate in the craft fairs during the holiday season when both the mall and craft fairs are in full swing? Not just your physical presence, but making enough product?

Would you be able to keep up with your custom orders?

Is there any possibility that you could clone yourself in the next few months because I think that would be a big help! :D

What an exciting time!!

Jude

You are most likely already doing this....I find it helps to draw up a sheet of paper labelled PROS and CONS. List every positive you can think of for doing this - even ones you have to reach for :lol: - and then do exactly the same for all the negatives.

You will soon see a trend happening. Don't decide right then. Wait a few days or a week and do the same thing again.

I know you will decide on the absolutely best course for you right now. Have faith in yourself. You do know what is best for you at this time in your life....it shows in the way you have approached this business from the start. Whatever you decide will work out, yanno :wink:

Tanya :)

You guys are awesome. I took some pictures of the space today and it turns out that the timing could very well work. It looks like it won't be ready until after Christmas and I was thinking originally that maybe next spring so I hope I can negotiate it for April.

Kitn thank you for the link - I have read part of it and want to read the rest yet.

I'll post the pictures later today or tomorrow.

Again thank you for your advice I have a lot of thinking to do and it still scares the daylights out of me.....

Lindy, I can't wait to see the pics! What an amazing opportunity!

Thanks Deda! Okay here are the pictures:

This is the store front - you can see Suzanne's right next door:

DSCN1845.jpg

This is looking through my Kiosk to the storefront:

DSCN1837.jpg

Here are the inside pictures:

#1 Looking from Mall entrance to the back - on the left you can see two open offices/spaces. One has a curved wall (front left) will be my custom scenting area, the one behind would be my office - at the far back on the left is a room for soap making and they would be a ventilation fan in:

DSCN1838.jpg

Close ups:

DSCN1839.jpg

DSCN1840.jpg

DSCN1841.jpg

DSCN1842.jpg

Area for curing racks:

DSCN1843.jpg

Looking from the back door (outside door) to the mall entrance:

DSCN1844.jpg

Thanks for all you support and advice! Still haven't toally made up my mind....

I noticed you said "One has a curved wall (front left) will be my custom scenting area, etc..

Hmmm...

The space looks great. Good luck making your decision. :)

Jude

Ya, Kitn --I was more focused on that fact that Lindy used the word will, as in she had subconsciously made up her mind to rent the space..

I'd like to know what a custom scenting area is too.
It sounds nice. :)

Jude

Hmmm you may be right. I know what needs to occur before I can go into the space, but I am also still waiting on what the rent will be.

Okay a custom scent room. What I'm thinking is that I would have a large batch of my body butter mixed up, as well as bath salts, lotions, etc. and then the customer can choose their favourite scent to have in it. So the room would be where we would sit and go through the scents to find the one they prefer and I would mix it up for them right there.

I am also thinking I would have other people's products such as pottery soap dishes and other bath related products on commission. That would help fill the space and add more variety and stuff to it.

I really do want this space but we'll see what happends.

That is a great idea to have things from other artsist' in there.
I'm sure there are many artists that would be willing to consign thier soap related goods.

Soap Dishes...
Crocheted soap bags...
hand-sewn terry robes....

I am so curious as to what mall this is! (since i was born and raised in bc), but not on the sunshine coast (mainland suburbs)... and I don't recognize that store next door!

Not going to try (do it!) and sway you either way (go for it) - you're going to (do it !!) make up your mind (go for it) with what you are comfortable with!

(no subliminal messages I swear)

WAAAHAHHA.. I just got a bout of home-sickness...

Latest posts

Back