~*~ SMF January 2018 Challenge- Hidden Heart Swirl! ~*~
~ Last Look At November 2017 Challenge Photos~

Help Support Soapmaking Forum by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.
Soap Making Forum > The Soap Making & Craft Forum > The Photo Gallery > First Salt Bars Today

Old 01-12-2018, 01:03 PM   #31
shunt2011
Administrator
SOAP_ADMIN.png

Liked 4781 Times on 3182 Posts
Likes Given: 4026

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanditasr View Post
Thanks; I realise I framed my question badly! Let me try again:

Suppose I make a regular soap (without salt) using 15% CO. Now, I want to make a salt bar (50% of oils) that will give me the same amount of lather as the regular bar. By how much (or to how much) should I up the CO to achieve this? Also, will adding sugar help the lather?

I don't think SoapCalc allows us to take sugar and salt into account?

cmzaha: As you say, it's no fun without some lather -- and thanks for the tip on palm oil.
Salt bars really need at least 75% CO I think. I've not gone that low. Salt will decrease your lather greatly without high CO content. I do 80% CO and 15-20% SF. You don't need to add your salt/sugar in the soap calculator as they are additives and don't saponify.

Nanditasr Likes This 
Old 01-12-2018, 02:46 PM   #32
Misschief

Liked 672 Times on 316 Posts
Likes Given: 1092

I follow Obsidian's salt bar recipe, with 50% salt by oil weight (80% OO, 15% OO, 5% castor), and not only is it my favourite soap, it's the only soap I use on my face. I have, and have always had, dry skin. The salt soap leaves my skin feeling smooth and not at all tight. I always follow up with a touch of moisturizer and my skin has never looked, or felt, better. The bar I'm using right now is probably close to a year old and it's amazing. The lather is plentiful and creamy but when I add a little more water, so luxuriously bubbly.

Incidentally, I don't put this one in a loaf mold; I only use individual cavity molds for my soap bars. That way, I don't have to worry about being around at the right time to cut them. Aside from that, I find that they fit my hand better than a bar does.

Old 01-12-2018, 03:02 PM   #33
Nanditasr

Liked 23 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misschief View Post
I follow Obsidian's salt bar recipe, with 50% salt by oil weight (80% OO, 15% OO, 5% castor)...
Thanks. Did you mean 80% CO?

Old 01-12-2018, 03:35 PM   #34
dibbles
Supporting Member
SOAP_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2414 Times on 1035 Posts
Likes Given: 2840

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanditasr View Post
Thanks. Did you mean 80% CO?
Not Misschief, but I'm sure she meant 80% CO. That's what I use as well.
Nanditasr Likes This 
Old 01-12-2018, 05:30 PM   #35
Misschief

Liked 672 Times on 316 Posts
Likes Given: 1092

Oops, sorry, yes... Coconut oil. That's what I get for trying to type coherently without a full cup of coffee in me.
People Like This 
Old 01-12-2018, 06:38 PM   #36
Kittish
Enthusiastic Newbie
SOAP_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1314 Times on 626 Posts
Likes Given: 824

Now I can't wait to get the individual bar molds I just ordered. I think the very first thing I'll do with them is make a batch of salt bars to try out.
People Like This 
Old 01-12-2018, 06:52 PM   #37
shunt2011
Administrator
SOAP_ADMIN.png

Liked 4781 Times on 3182 Posts
Likes Given: 4026

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kittish View Post
Now I can't wait to get the individual bar molds I just ordered. I think the very first thing I'll do with them is make a batch of salt bars to try out.
Be sure to keep them covered, I get the most ash on my salt bars when I put them in individual molds. I generally leave them covered for 2-3 days until saponification is completed. If not, huge ash problem, sometimes so thick I can't wash it off. I also spray those buggers with alcohol really well.

They are one of my favorite bars to use.
Kittish Likes This 
Old 01-12-2018, 09:57 PM   #38
Kittish
Enthusiastic Newbie
SOAP_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by shunt2011 View Post
Be sure to keep them covered, I get the most ash on my salt bars when I put them in individual molds. I generally leave them covered for 2-3 days until saponification is completed. If not, huge ash problem, sometimes so thick I can't wash it off. I also spray those buggers with alcohol really well.

They are one of my favorite bars to use.
Thanks for the heads up. I'll probably wind up putting a layer of plastic wrap down on top of each one, followed by cardboard so I can stack them. 500 or 750g of oils plus water plus 50-60% salt should fill two or three of the molds- each one makes 4 bars. I bought a couple of bags of canning and pickling salt today to use in them. Not Morton, some brand I've never heard of, but the salt feels like it's pretty fine grained through the bag it's in.
shunt2011 Likes This 
Old Today, 08:41 AM   #39
Kittish
Enthusiastic Newbie
SOAP_SUPPORTER.png

Made my first batch of salt bars!

Recipe is 75% coconut oil, 20% apricot kernel oil, 5% castor oil with 50% salt added to the oils and 20% SF. Poured into individual molds, sprayed well with alcohol and covered. Color is Rainforest Mica Powder from Nurture. Unscented. I soaped at around 120*F, and it took a few minutes to come to about a medium trace, but not forever. Though it did seem like it was going to STAY at medium trace for quite a while. I've got 9 rectangular bars (the new molds) plus the six flowers.

People Like This