~*~ SMF January 2018 Challenge- Hidden Heart Swirl! ~*~
~ Last Look At November 2017 Challenge Photos~

Help Support Soapmaking Forum by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.
Soap Making Forum > The Soap Making & Craft Forum > Fragrance Oils/Fragrance reviews > Is 2.6% FO enough?

Old 01-10-2018, 02:55 PM   #11
dixiedragon

Liked 3742 Times on 2161 Posts
Likes Given: 1663

BB I think counts oils and water, vs some other calculators that count only oils. I think our "standard" recommendation is 7% per weight of oils.

Old 01-12-2018, 06:29 PM   #12
amd

Liked 681 Times on 270 Posts
Likes Given: 461

Send a message via Skype™ to amd

Ha! Yesterday I messaged Shari (shunt) about how much FO to use... I guess I hadn't gotten far enough back in the forum to hit this one. I had been using 2% (of total batch weight), which was probably fine when I was making 2lb oil batches and selling out every month. I increased my batch size and production schedule to make 4lb oil batches twice, so that some of my regular soaps I only have to make once or twice a year. I noticed towards the end of 2017 that soaps made towards the beginning of the year had very little to no smell left, and had a few customers reach out to me that their soaps don't smell. Last night's batch of Nag Champa, I bumped up to 3% and only made one batch instead of two.

I'm still considering going up further in %, but slightly hesitant. My thinking is based on my personal preference - I don't like scents such as deoderant, perfume, scented lotions, etc - so I have made soaps in mind with people who may use scents. Do they want their perfume clashing with any leftover soap scent? I could be overthinking this, and openly admit that my favorite bar of soap is an unscented aloe bar, although the Nag Champa is my favorite scented. With that in mind, I'm considering running a small experiment using 1lb oil batches and increasing the FO by 1% in each batch, holding them for 6 months, and see how the fragrance wears at each %. If I do that with the Nag Champa, at least I won't mind having those extra bars around

shunt2011 Likes This 
Old 01-12-2018, 07:02 PM   #13
shunt2011
Administrator
SOAP_ADMIN.png

Liked 4781 Times on 3182 Posts
Likes Given: 4026

One thing I've found is that many, many fragrances, even at 6% don't stick to the skin for long. There are some exceptions of course, stronger scents (mostly men's). So, I don't personally think there's a lot of risk of it clashing with perfumes, body sprays etc...... It would certainly depend on the scent of course.

Old 01-12-2018, 07:13 PM   #14
The Efficacious Gentleman
Lifetime Supporting Member
SOAP_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 8388 Times on 4009 Posts
Likes Given: 3838

Nag champa sticks, in my experience. I smelled like a hippy just from washing my hands

Old 01-12-2018, 09:23 PM   #15
mx6inpenn

Liked 595 Times on 274 Posts
Likes Given: 131

In my experience, dragon's blood, or anything with patch sticks around, both in the bar and on the skin.

Old 01-14-2018, 07:40 PM   #16
amd

Liked 681 Times on 270 Posts
Likes Given: 461

Send a message via Skype™ to amd

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Efficacious Gentleman View Post
Nag champa sticks, in my experience. I smelled like a hippy just from washing my hands
My Nag Champa was one that was returned with no scent at 9 months old , so it makes sense to try it. I have a few others on the list as well but not as much FO in stock as the Nag Champa.