~*~ SMF January 2018 Challenge- Hidden Heart Swirl! ~*~
~ Last Look At November 2017 Challenge Photos~

Help Support Soapmaking Forum by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.
Soap Making Forum > Soapmaking & Candle Recipe & Tutorials Forum > Food & Spirit Recipes > What's in your canning/jarring pantry?

Old 01-10-2018, 04:01 PM   #41
MullersLaneFarm

Liked 56 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 91

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishLass View Post
here are my very humble beginnings so far:

In the very back from left to right: two Sweet Pickle Relishes, Pasta Sauce, two Chicken Breast & Thigh meats.
The row in front of that: Sweet Pickle Relish, two Cranberry Sauces, and Chicken Breast/Thigh meat
In the front: Sweet Pickle Relish, Boiled Cider Syrup, and three Cranberry Sauces.
Your stash is beautiful! I've been wondering about the Wreck (sp?) lids. I love the glass tops on them

Quote:
Cyndi- do you have any of the newer version of Tattler lids, i.e., the ones labeled as being 'EZ Seal'? If so, do you have a special technique you use with them? I ask because those are the type I have.
Yes, I have both the old and new EZ Seal.

Since the flats are thicker than normal metal lids, leave an additional 1/4" headspace than what the canning directions call for. Initial tightening of rings ... only until jar spins ...

Here's how I do it ... (best that I can describe) Put gasket on flat, place gasket & flat on jar, place ring on top. Put left index finger on top of flat lid & screw ring on just until ring 'catches' on threads, then release left index finger and then using just right index finger continue 'pulling' ring around until jar spins.

After pulling the jars out of the canner, let them sit for 5 minutes. Cover with a towel, using something to protect your hands, tighten the rings just finger tight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoapSap View Post
Irish Lass, I did not know about Pomona Pectin. Is it widely available or should I look for it on the internet. I would sure like to cut down on sugar in my jam recipes.
I love Pomona Pectin. You can order directly from them (or find it on Amazon)

Old 01-11-2018, 12:06 AM   #42
Relle
Administrator & Bunny Fanatic
SOAP_ADMIN.png

Liked 1621 Times on 942 Posts
Likes Given: 306

Quote:
Relle- if you are referring to the types of recipes that call for pectin such as jams or jellies, there are pectins on the market, such as Pomona Pectin for example, that allow you to make the jam or jelly with the sweetener of your choice such as honey or agave nectar or stevia, or concentrated fruit juice, or even no added sweetener at all if you don't desire any.
IrishLass
Thanks for the info, I clicked on the link that Mullers gave and 225grms is $56 AUD plus postage ($11.95) Total - $67.95. At that price they can keep it. I'll see if I might be able to find something similar made here.

Old 01-11-2018, 03:29 PM   #43
MullersLaneFarm

Liked 56 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Relle View Post
Thanks for the info, I clicked on the link that Mullers gave and 225grms is $56 AUD plus postage ($11.95) Total - $67.95. At that price they can keep it. I'll see if I might be able to find something similar made here.
Holy crow! That's almost twice what we pay here in the States.

Old 01-11-2018, 11:04 PM   #44
Relle
Administrator & Bunny Fanatic
SOAP_ADMIN.png

Liked 1621 Times on 942 Posts
Likes Given: 306

It's a US based product, so with the Aussie dollar running around 78cents to the US dollar that gets added on, plus postage, then obviously profit.
I've since found some here that I can go and purchase at a local store, very reasonably - $9 for 133grms, it pays to shop around.
People Like This 
Old 01-12-2018, 12:33 AM   #45
slk

Liked 24 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Quote:
That would be so awesome to have your own maple syrup. My maternal grandmother grew up in New Hampshire on a farm where they had their own maple trees and a sugar shack where they made their own maple syrup. She moved away to Massachusetts when she was 16 and never went back, but she had such wonderful memories of it and would always regale us with stories of what it was like growing up there, and expressed to us a burning desire to see it just one more time before she died.
We are transplants from Southern CA and have been out here for about 6 years - fully embracing the New England life style. Wonderful that you were able to give her grandmother a trip back. It is beautiful here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Relle View Post
A lot of these type of recipes seem to have sugar added. I'm not eating anything with refined sugar or artificial sweeteners, at the moment to help with inflammation (it's slowly working, not so much pain), so looking for supplements to adding sugar.
Don't know if you can do added juice, but there is a pectin called Pomona Pectin that has several recipes with apple juice or white grape juice -

People Like This