Your First Thought on My Logo

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Let's also keep in mind that we aren't talking about a massive section of a supermarket isle full of the same product, each one trying to get noticed. That is not what most people here do and certainly not what you are trying to do - you're having a stand at a church fair, so I'm pretty certain that you have much more leeway than you think.

I go back to my original point - use something that will appeal to the target market (which comes from my marketing background rather than your psychology one). If you want pure and natural and so on, a lamb is fine.......if most people who you are targeting associate a lamb with pure and natural. In particular, the image of a lamb that you choose (not all lamb pictures will mean the same).

If they don't, then you need to look at something that does give the ideas over to your target market.

Also, the LSS font has to change - and first I thought that it was dollar signs!

Also, the LSS font has to change - and first I thought that it was dollar signs!

I'm giggling. There is a message that people don't want -- spending money -- too funny. I appreciate your input, it is very helpful and I'm still considering the Lamb. It won't help if people don't come back for more, and they won't if they can't remember the name. Most of our church folks are old like me so the short term memory is shot. :lol:

You wanted our first thought on the logo, mine went something like this: "Huh? What's that got to do with soap? This must be a mistake. That's a bad picture of a lamb anyway."

Sorry, but those were my thoughts. I felt no connection with God, gentleness, purity, babies or lanolin with that logo. What I did experience was disconnect and confusion....and that is all. Sorry I don't have anything positive to say.

Tossing my two cents in if it helps.

My first impressions of the original logo you posted wee not of soap, God, purity, or gentleness. They were, babies, softness, wool, and childlike.

The second logo drew my attention immediately to the brand name and sustainability, thanks to the very direct naming, but the lettering in the center felt disconnected, it didn't fit.

The color scheme in neither logo drew my eye, but I did like the simplicity, the lack of excessive frufru details, and the clean lines in both.

I agree with others who have said that considering your specific marketing venue for this particular event, the subliminal ties to religious iconography will likely prove to be a plus, but I think they could be used more effectively.

If I were to suggest anything it would be to use a soft, medium hue blue background in the center of the second logo, with the original lamb image in white, centered in the oval. The brand name across the top with sustainable suds below in the same blue, would create a nice visual that clearly states the maker and the product intention (Lamb's Sustainable Suds) while implying softer, gentleness, and a familiar religious symbol (lamb) that people in your intended market pool at this event will feel comfortable with and attracted to.

I would also suggest the subtle use a a darker, third color in a contrasting hue (perhaps a medium to dark orangey red color, or even a nice deep golden color) to balance the visual softness of the blue and white combination, so it doesn't come across as too "bland" or lacking any impact.

Just my suggestions, hope they help.

My first impression of the original logo you posted was that it reminded me of sunday school when I was younger :)

I do find the font used in the middle of the second logo to be discontinuous, though it invokes less of that sunday school feel

Last edited:
The more I think about it, the more I like the idea of the lamb. I would probably search for other versions of a lamb image and then reduce of some of the space between the lamb and the lettering. Maybe make the letters bigger. I also like the idea that the previous poster raised of playing with a third color. You could make several versions and test them among members of your target audience. You know, get a focus group of friends from your church and have them pick the one they like.

I immediately thought fabric softener or Woolite. It's also a bit generic looking to me - like a high school student was assigned to come up with logo for an imaginary company for a school project.

Another issue is the name - if you google Lamb Soap, you get tons of hits.

"Another issue is the name - if you google Lamb Soap, you get tons of hits."

I consider this to be a positive -- my selling schema has been bought and paid for by Corporate America. IMO, there is nothing new or imaginary about soap. There is something new and imaginary about using a sustainable, clean smelling, natural soap that is gentle enough for children. A lamb will summon a lot of emotions from days gone by - nostalgic.

I will use a more sophisticated paper and other things that will make it feel a little more like a soap for everyone in the family. BUT... IMHO the first reactions, before things got emotional, were what I has hoping for.

I will stick to my original logo with a few minor changes on size, position, color of paper. I honestly liked it when people made connections like: "I like it simple but looks clean; baby products; goats milk soap; it does suggest a baby/children's soap; it looks dated; I love the name "Sustainable Suds". Those were the first knee jerk opinions.

After I explained my inspiration: "sheep doesn't make me think of soap, purity or children; issue with trying to "match" an already existing brand; Regardless as to what/how Dove; but I to thought baby products; your logo and why are you comparing the two so much?; However, you don't need to tell us what psychology does." BTW, I apologize for sharing the psychology of marketing, it is my passion and interesting to me. Why do we think or do the things we do? It makes many people uncomfortable, like they have shared their soul without realizing it.

I want clean and simple, I want pure and gentle enough for a baby and I think the soap buyers, my target audience, will get that impression before any other knowledge is gained. Additionally, I'm in ag country (my target audience) and most people around here have pet sheep at some point in their life. When you pet sheep you get lanolin all over your hands and they feel very soft -- it's an "aha" moment you don't forget -- a moment that says "my skin feels awesome".

I really do appreciate all the help and information. Everyone has been very kind and thoughtful! I genuinely appreciate that.

Last edited:
12 Rules of Logo Design

I did want to share this link and forgot. It encompasses most of the research on logo design; quick crash course research. I hope it helps when others begin design on their logos.

12 Rules of Logo Design

Latest posts

Back