How much should i price my soap?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't add color, because it could harm the skin. I don't add fragrance either, but I use essentials and honey and olive oil for cleansing and acne. I already have a great supply of both essentials, so I count it as free. Any, my soap base is only 4 lbs. (since I'm starting out, I don't want to waste too much money if I don't succeed). And yes, my soap base alone is .40. and that's all I use for my M&P because my essentials are in full supply, and fragrance and color has a possible chance of damaging skin.

Well, you didn't get your essential oil free, did you? When you run out you'll have to buy more, right? So you should include them in the cost of your soap. You are not going to succeed in business if you refuse to look honestly at your costs.

Are you packaging the soap? Essential oils and honey and olive oil are not free. You need to add to the final price of your product to accurately determine your cost per bar. How long have you been melting soap and selling it? This whole thread seems a bit "off".

True. It adds a few cents into the cost of each bar. Thanks for giving me advice! :)

I will, and I've just started. And yes, I'm adding the packaging and posting price toward the shipping price. Or is that not a good idea (and I should change it so I follow what YOU do)?

I also wondered that as I was reading through the thread.

@juliawhas

I don't want to come across as mean but I'm wondering how long have you've been making MP. Your questions and comments come across as someone who's very inexperienced and jumping into selling without understanding the basics. If I'm wrong, I apologize but I don't think I am. You're basing your cost on just the MP base and not including the cost of additives, packaging, insurance, business license, overhead, etc. This makes me wonder if you've including shipping cost into your MP base because .40 per bar for just a 4 lb MP base sounds extremely low. However, you may not have shipping on the MP base if you bought it locally. I'd understand this cost more if you had said you bought the MP in bulk.
It's a MP soap, so it costs way less. I've read other soap forums, and people agree that it only costs .40 cents a bar.

When you stated the above comment, does this mean you didn't figure out your own cost? Are you basing your cost on what someone else stated?

Also, you mentioned your soap helps "your skin and acne". Have you read the FDA regulations about labeling, advertising and what the difference is between soap, cosmetic and drug?

And yes, my soap base alone is .40. and that's all I use for my M&P because my essentials are in full supply, and fragrance and color has a possible chance of damaging skin.

You should really do more research. Fragrance oils designed to use in soap are far easier to work with because they're safe in recommended percentages.
You need to know your essential oils inside and out before selling products including them. They could affect/cause so many things, from pregnancy to sunburn.

Also, make sure you are properly insured before selling your first bar of soap.

Last edited:
I'm selling it on etsy. and because I have a full supply, but I suppose I should add it too. and yes I bought the mp base locally. I charge shipping separately and I add packaging toward the shipping charge too. not to be rude, but I've stated this many times throughout the thread, and I keep having to repeat the same thing.

I have done my research and professional people say it is best recommended not putting ANY fragrance in the soap, in case for sensitive skin. And I've done my research on honey and the effects of it, which is healthy and nourishing for the skin and can treat acne. I also looked upon the bad things upon it.

Yes, i'm new to this. just because I don't speak a soapmaker's language doesn't mean I'm trolling everyone. I asked a serious question trying my best to express it in soap terms and everyone decides to make fun of me and treat me like I'm a little kid. thanks.

What is your Etsy store? Saying your soap can control acne is a very risky thing re FDA regulations. It's also the kind of claim that can give good soapmakers a bad name. I can't imagine M&P soap helping acne. Are you using FDIC or a base using chemicals and detergents? You have a lot of people offering help, but don't seem to be able to hear it very well. We're not being mean, nor meaning to treat you like a little kid, but it's clear you are VERY inexperienced, have not done your research very well, and need some time and practice under your belt before you decide to sell.

How many batches have you made?

Last edited:
We're not making fun of you. Everyone is concerned not because you don't know "soapmaker's language" but because you haven't demonstrated you really have done the work involved in developing a quality product line or that you truly want assistance to build a successful business. You want an answer to one question and have totally rejected our legitimate concerns.

I'm selling it on etsy. and because I have a full supply, but I suppose I should add it too. and yes I bought the mp base locally. I charge shipping separately and I add packaging toward the shipping charge too. not to be rude, but I've stated this many times throughout the thread, and I keep having to repeat the same thing.

Yes, you are now coming across as rude because you only mentioned it once. That is not what I asked you. You either don't understand the concept or you're deliberately using misdirection. You have not answered questions to give us a better understanding of your situation. You stated you were new to making soap and then said you are selling. You haven't answered the question on how long you've been "making" soap. Being new to the process and not answering questions implies you're jumping into something which you've recently decided to do and are not prepared for in terms of understanding the basics involved in consumer safety, regulations and operating a business. I'm also wondering where you bought the MP base and what the ingredients are in it. I'm not getting a feeling that you're interested in taking pride in your soap and want to make sure it's a quality item. This worries me because of the possible negative impact selling quickly and poorly mad products can have on the handmade industry.

I re-read this thread and your question "How much should I price my soap" was answered at least twice. I think you should be satisfied with those responses.

@ paillo -

Good point about FDA. Claiming soap helps with acne puts the soap into a drug category. This is why I asked if she had read the FDA regulations.

I think this thread is going south and needs to end.

Last edited:
I'm not going to say it in the description, I'll let people experience it on its own. How am I not accepting the help people give to me? What help? And I'm still new at this, I'm still sorting everything out, and yes, I am not experienced, a bunch of people have rubbed it in my face that their soap is much more professional than mine and that they have done their research more than me.

I've had to repeat this several times, I'm new, yet you guys judge me as if I'm one of you. No, I'm not, so stop making me feel horrible, please.

Okay, first of all, I said I repeated I am inexperienced several times throughout the thread. And next, because I don't understand the question and/or I am uncomfortable to answer it. I have asked people on this thread a question too, and they have not replied and completely ignored my question and went on to criticizing me. I'm done using soapmakingforums. It is uninspiring, mean, and rude, especially to the person who said she thought I was 'trolling'. I'm done.

That's a good thing for all, I believe. I agree, I think this thread needs to end. It is not going anywhere. Apparently you don't want to share any information which might be helpful for those wanting to help - e.g. how many batches have you made, what are the ingredients in your soap base, what is your Etsy shop? Those are just my questions, there are many more from people who wish to help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back