Home address on labels

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HerbalEarthling

Reaction score
I just took my first shots of my products for my Etsy shop. I was wondering if you guys have the same fear, or do you avoid showing too much label with your address on there? I want to take full product shots for obvious reasons but this whole putting your address on your label really freaks me out. What to do?

Hi. I know the topic of addresses on soap is ongoing and that yes, you are supposed to include it. I don't sell, but I have bought a lot of soap off of etsy (and at at farmers markets or craft shows) from many different sellers before I started making my own - and some after as well. I saved all of those labels and I can tell that not one label has a home address on it. I am certainly not advocating that you do that, just sharing my experience as a consumer. And is certainly doesn't bother me to buy soap that doesn't have an address on it.

I don't know as I would show my whole address on etsy, but I always include it on the back of my product labels.

My labels just have my company name, city, state and web address. I'm not too hard to find, if anyone wants to come and give me a hard time about my labeling.

If you are really nervous about the pics, can you blur out the address part?

Thanks for your input soap friends! I think I will from now on just put my city and state. I did edit out the address on one of my pictures that showed my address. Never even knew it was there! Seriously, paint.net for Windows is pretty cool for doing little edits. FYI :)

My labels just have my company name, city, state and web address. I'm not too hard to find, if anyone wants to come and give me a hard time about my labeling.

Exactly what I do too. I really don't want to put my full home address on labels. I know anyone can google me, but I don't want to advertise where I live.

Exactly what I do too. I really don't want to put my full home address on labels. I know anyone can google me, but I don't want to advertise where I live.

And this is excellent advice. According to the lawyer that helped form my business LLC, home craftmaking businesses should never include their exact address. Otherwise you have the potential to have weird people stopping by at all hours to sniff the soap, ask for samples, ask if you have kids, dogs, etc. I think you get the general idea. All it takes is one very determined person. Also, your home insurance may not allow you to showcase your home like this. The lawyer recommended to obtain a PO Box number for added communication purposes. Your home is strictly your home. Allow customer business elsewhere.

Ahh what to do! Haha! I've already sold many products with my address on them because I just wanted to do things the legal way. I also have a lot of product that I haven't sold yet with my address on it. :eek:

In the future though I will take your advice and keep my address off of the labels.
Sent from my SPH-L710 using Soap Making mobile app

And this is excellent advice. According to the lawyer that helped form my business LLC, home craftmaking businesses should never include their exact address. Otherwise you have the potential to have weird people stopping by at all hours to sniff the soap, ask for samples, ask if you have kids, dogs, etc. I think you get the general idea. All it takes is one very determined person. Also, your home insurance may not allow you to showcase your home like this. The lawyer recommended to obtain a PO Box number for added communication purposes. Your home is strictly your home. Allow customer business elsewhere.

PHEW! When the other user said she thought we had to put our home address on our labels I almost freaked out! Cos there's NO way I would put my personal home address on a label. (I have had stalkers in the past! albeit not related to any business I owned.. just creepy stalkers)

The only scary part is if someone creepy/obsessive meets you at a craft fair or farmer's market and goes to your online store and orders something... they will end up knowing my home address.

...so yeah, I guess I need to get a PO box!!

PHEW! When the other user said she thought we had to put our home address on our labels I almost freaked out! Cos there's NO way I would put my personal home address on a label. (I have had stalkers in the past! albeit not related to any business I owned.. just creepy stalkers)

The only scary part is if someone creepy/obsessive meets you at a craft fair or farmer's market and goes to your online store and orders something... they will end up knowing my home address.

...so yeah, I guess I need to get a PO box!!

Supposedly, you're not even supposed to use a PO box either. But no worries, I haven't been putting my address on labels. I just never really talked to other soapers. I'm very new compared to a lot of people. Seriously, the Soap Making Forum is like the best thing. I was trying to follow the rules, and we all know that's not always fun ;)

My p.o. is my home address. I've used the same one for 27 years....this year I switched to one closer to home. I don't know why anyone would have a problem with it. For the record, I'm: PurpleButterfly Soaps, P. O. Box 12886, Cincinnati, Ohio 45212.

So if any on says I cant do that....I simply do this: PurpleButterfly Soaps, 4515 Allison st, #12886, Cincinnati, Ohio 45212

That's the street address of the post office.

Last edited:
And just for clarity, that does not comply with Federal Law in the US. Small businesses may be able to use a P.O. Box, you can "get around it" if you wish, or you can flat out ignore it and hope you don't get caught, but the FDA is very clear about it.

If you manufacture soaps or cosmetics, the physical street address of where the product is made MUST be listed on the product, or the company or business that manufactures it MUST be listed in the local print directory (phone book). A website, an online directory, a P.O. Box, or just the city and state are NOT sufficient.

There are a number of people that are trying to change that for the safety of the people that run their business from home.

And back to the point of the OP, no, I would not let my address show on my labels online, even tho it is required on the label (or just be listed in the phone book).

Question then .. when I had my company in Canada, my company was allowed to use my lawyer's address as a legal business address for tax purposes. I had a PO box that was listed on all documents and business cards but when a physical location was required I put the lawyer's address. Could you do the same in the USA?

Last edited:
Question then .. when I had my company in Canada, my company was allowed to use my lawyer's address as a legal business address for tax purposes. I had a PO box that was listed on all documents and business cards but when a physical location was required I put the lawyer's address. Could you do the same in the USA?

ETA: can anyone direct me to the legal rules regarding soap making in the USA?

No. Unless the soap was actually physically made at your lawyer's office, you cannot use that address on your packaging.

You can start here http://www.fda.gov/cosmetics/productandingredientsafety/productinformation/ucm115449.htm

the package label requirements fall under the Fair Packaging and Labeling Act, but for some reason I am not able to access that page right now.

HTH

I don't include my home address on any labels, don't want to provide an easy way for someone to find my house. Not that I'm paranoid, and I know the info is easy enough to find via Google, White Pages, return address, etc., but I'd rather keep that info private. I live out in the sticks and hubby travels a lot, so I prefer to provide address info selectively, and not just to anybody.

I include link to my Etsy store, city and zip code, that's all.

In the usa.....the fda guideline stated an address where you could receive and respond to mail, company name, and phone or web page. Is been good enough for 28 years.........not worried about it now.

Legally I only need to declare soap or non-soap. I don't have to list ingredients other than "saponated oils"....which oils...that's a courtesy. I used to put the weigh on them......turns out that's not a requirement either.

Last edited:
Everyone can choose whether to comply with the laws or not, but legally there is a lot more to it than declaring it soap or non-soap. Soap does not have to list ingredients, but what it is, what size it is, and the rest of the info is required.

http://www.fda.gov/Cosmetics/CosmeticLabelingLabelClaims/

http://www.fda.gov/Cosmetics/CosmeticLabelingLabelClaims/CosmeticLabelingManual/default.htm

http://www.fda.gov/RegulatoryInformation/Legislation/ucm148722.htm

"(1) The commodity shall bear a label specifying the identity of the commodity and the name and place of business of the manufacturer, packer, or distributor;

(2) The net quantity of contents (in terms of weight or mass, measure, or numerical count) shall be separately and accurately stated in a uniform location upon the principal display panel of that label, using the most appropriate units of both the customary inch/pound system of measure, as provided in paragraph (3) of this subsection, and, except as provided in paragraph (3)(A)(ii) or paragraph (6) of this subsection, the SI metric system;"

I didn't make the rules and I am certainly not trying to enforce them, just putting it out there for everyone that does not know, this is what Federal Law says about it. I would encourage everyone to do their research on the FDA website (and follow the links), get all of the correct info and make their own educated decision about compliance and risk. And don't forget wherever you are may have additional state and local requirements.

Yes, I've read the FDA regs, and decided not to comply on the full address requirement. I weighed my sense of risk, and decided that feeling comfortable with my own personal safety was more important, at least to me, than full compliance. I do always include the full ingredient list (and weight), feel that's a courtesy to my buyers, especially those with allergies, and to those who want to make sure they're getting their money's worth. I want to minimize their risk too. It's murky...

Everyone can choose whether to comply with the laws or not, but legally there is a lot more to it than declaring it soap or non-soap. Soap does not have to list ingredients, but what it is, what size it is, and the rest of the info is required.

http://www.fda.gov/Cosmetics/CosmeticLabelingLabelClaims/

http://www.fda.gov/Cosmetics/CosmeticLabelingLabelClaims/CosmeticLabelingManual/default.htm

http://www.fda.gov/RegulatoryInformation/Legislation/ucm148722.htm

"(1) The commodity shall bear a label specifying the identity of the commodity and the name and place of business of the manufacturer, packer, or distributor;

(2) The net quantity of contents (in terms of weight or mass, measure, or numerical count) shall be separately and accurately stated in a uniform location upon the principal display panel of that label, using the most appropriate units of both the customary inch/pound system of measure, as provided in paragraph (3) of this subsection, and, except as provided in paragraph (3)(A)(ii) or paragraph (6) of this subsection, the SI metric system;"

I didn't make the rules and I am certainly not trying to enforce them, just putting it out there for everyone that does not know, this is what Federal Law says about it. I would encourage everyone to do their research on the FDA website (and follow the links), get all of the correct info and make their own educated decision about compliance and risk. And don't forget wherever you are may have additional state and local requirements.

I'm glad this topic is being discussed and I appreciate you posting that link. For me, it brings up more questions surrounding labeling and here's what I found when I followed your link.

How labeling requirements are different

A cosmetic product must be labeled according to cosmetic labeling regulations. See the Cosmetic Labeling Manual for guidance on cosmetic labeling and links to the regulations related to cosmetic labeling. OTC drugs must be labeled according to OTC drug regulations, including the "Drug Facts" labeling, as described in 21 CFR 201.66 Combination OTC drug/cosmetic products must have combination OTC drug/cosmetic labeling. For example, the drug ingredients must be listed alphabetically as "Active Ingredients," followed by cosmetic ingredients, listed in descending order of predominance as "Inactive Ingredients."

And what if it's "soap"?

Soap is a category that needs special explanation. That's because the regulatory definition of "soap" is different from the way in which people commonly use the word. Products that meet the definition of "soap" are exempt from the provisions of the FD&C Act because—even though Section 201(i)(1) of the act includes "articles...for cleansing" in the definition of a cosmetic—Section 201(i)(2) excludes soap from the definition of a cosmetic.

How FDA defines "soap"

Not every product marketed as soap meets FDA's definition of the term. FDA interprets the term "soap" to apply only when

• the bulk of the nonvolatile matter in the product consists of an alkali salt of fatty acids and the product's detergent properties are due to the alkali-fatty acid compounds, and
  • the product is labeled, sold, and represented solely as soap [21 CFR 701.20].
Products that meet this definition of soap are regulated by the Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC), not by FDA. Please direct questions about these products, such as safety and labeling requirements, to CPSC.

But when I go to the CPSC website and do a search for soap NOTHING comes up. There are regulations surrounding specific ingredients such as sodium hydroxide and the products made that contain that ingredient. Their only comment that I can find relates directly to the need for child proof containers for any product containing more than 10% of total weight sodium or potassium hydroxide but by my calculations most of my soaps contain 8% or less per total recipe so they wouldn't need to conform. I can't find any other regulations on their website pertaining to soap or soap ingredients.

More reading to do .. murky waters indeed.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back