What to do with a cabbage?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh I am making it for years. It is delicious and can be used for soups, for hunter stew, and others. We eat tons of that. I am from Poland and it was through the ages, main source of vitamin C in the winter. Adding apples into it make the cabbage even more delicious, and apples are incredible. I love it.

Oh I am making it for years. It is delicious and can be used for soups, for hunter stew, and others. We eat tons of that. I am from Poland and it was through the ages, main source of vitamin C in the winter. Adding apples into it make the cabbage even more delicious, and apples are incredible. I love it.

Oh wow, my husband's family is Polish but all his aunts passed away before I could learn how to make their dishes with sauerkraut! Do you have a favorite recipe you'd be willing to post?

I'm finally making my first batch of sauerkraut (from a red cabbage) and it seems to be coming along nicely.

I've been making Powidla Sliwkowe for several years and canning it. It's great as a spread, but I turn it into Asian plum sauce for stir fry sometimes too.

I will have to sit down and write , consider it done. You need the mandoline to cut the cabbage and ground some carrots, it is not necessary but it looks nice, then pickling salt and weight of course. Cut everything nicelly I like it think. Mix with carrots and salt 4 kg of cabbage (I weight before I shred) and 70 gram of salt. You could add some spices but I add the salt only, later before we eat I add oil and spices and onions.
Mix cabbage in some kind of container (I use plastic buckets ; got some from the food store) let it stay and get soft for two hours maybe, then put it in the bucket or jar and press with your hands so it packed tightly, it will let the juice to cover cabbage. I must be covered by juice. then cover and let it stand (I keep in my nice basement) After 48 hours you need to poke it with long spoon to let the gases out. Poke in a few places. Then cover (plate is fine ) and poke after 24 hours. One week it should be done:)) No secret about it. NO vinegar please it must get sour by natural process:) Any question feel free to pm me:)

Last edited:
I got the biggest, most gorgeous green cabbage on Saturday from the farmer's market. We immediately ran and got supplies and made stuffed cabbage with the giant outer leaves, and then Sunday, made a hearty cabbage soup (lots of potato, carrots, and a bit of heat from a slit but whole (then removed) hot pepper) with most of the rest. Both were excellent.

Since its a weight watchers recipe I cant post a link so here you go:

12oz firm tofu sliced in several 1/4 inch pieces
2tbsp creamy peanut butter
2tbsp soy sauce
2tbsp water, warm
1tbsp dark brown sugar
1tsp minced garlic
1tsp ginger root minced
1tsp rice wine vinegar
1/2 tsp samal oelek (I use shiracha)
cooking spray
1 large red pepper
1 cup sugar snap peas
1/2tsp salt
2 cups uncooked green cabbage
1 large uncooked carrot cut into thick strips
6 medium scallions
1 1/2 tbsp toasted sesame seeds

Line a sheet pan with paper towels, place tofu on top. Cover with a few layers of paper towel and press down lightly with hands to dry it. Let tofu drain while prepping.

To make peanut sauce combine peanut butter, soy sauce, water, sugar, garlic, ginger, vinegar, and sambal oelek. Wisk together and set aside.

Coat nonstick pan or wok with cooking spray, set over high heat. When pan is hot add tofu. cook till browned. Remove and slice into thick strips and set aside.

Add pepper and snap peas to skillet or wok and sprinkle with salt, stir fry for 5 minutes. add cabbage carrot and reserved peanut sauce toss to coat and stir fry until cabbage wilts, about 1-2 minutes. If the sauce is too thick you can add a little water. Add seared tofu and scallions, stir to coat and cook until heated through. Garnish with sesame seeds and serve.

I will have to sit down and write , consider it done. You need the mandoline to cut the cabbage and ground some carrots, it is not necessary but it looks nice, then pickling salt and weight of course. Cut everything nicelly I like it think. Mix with carrots and salt 4 kg of cabbage (I weight before I shred) and 70 gram of salt. You could add some spices but I add the salt only, later before we eat I add oil and spices and onions.
Mix cabbage in some kind of container (I use plastic buckets ; got some from the food store) let it stay and get soft for two hours maybe, then put it in the bucket or jar and press with your hands so it packed tightly, it will let the juice to cover cabbage. I must be covered by juice. then cover and let it stand (I keep in my nice basement) After 48 hours you need to poke it with long spoon to let the gases out. Poke in a few places. Then cover (plate is fine ) and poke after 24 hours. One week it should be done:)) No secret about it. NO vinegar please it must get sour by natural process:) Any question feel free to pm me:)

Thank you very much!

I got my old ceramic crock back from mom last year, so I'm thinking go old fashioned and use that. :)

Ceramic crock is the best, just in case wash it well and rince with boiling water, it is what I had always done, as my mom and grandma:))

Latest posts

Back