Warming FO Before Adding to Oils

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

heyjude

Reaction score
Although I've seen it mentioned, I have never actually done it. Just wondering how many of us warm our fo before adding it to our oils.

And....for those who do, if you actually take the fo temp or just feel the side of the container for warmth?

Thanks,

Jude

I need to do an experiment on this one too. I'm wondering if adding a cold FO sometimes causes fast trace since it is cooling the soap down too quick. Warming it of course wouldn't do that.
I'll try using an FO that cause fast trace in my next batch , heat it and see if it still does it. Not today though, I've done 3 salt bar test batches. I'm done for the day :)

I'd love to hear your results. I wonder if my soon to be lilac batch would have turned out better if I had warmed the fo....course it could just be a floral thing.

Three batches in one day! You have been a busy bee! I think it's time to put your feet up and relax! :)

Jude

as a general rule i do warm my fo or eo in a cup of warm water to try to get the temp closer to the temp of the lightly traced soap. i think this does help....i haven't been real scientific about this but i just stick the container w/ the eo/fo into a cup of warm water when i get started....

That seems like a quick and easy way to warm things up. I will definately try that next time. Hopefully soon!

Thanks! :)

Jude

When I do it, I put my FO and any SF oils I'm going to use all in my mold and put the mold in a preheated oven turned off, and just let them sit in there till I'm ready to use them.

x

generally if i'm using a new f/o or a known "drama queen" f/o i will pour it into a glass bottle with a like amount of reserved oil and stick it into a glass measuring cup full of hot water while i get set up for soaping a batch.

i usually rtcp. by the time i am ready to soap the f/o is ready.

if i soap at warmer temps-90 degrees, i add at THIN trace.

Latest posts

Back