Lip Balm Flavoring - Real Ratios?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maevyn

Reaction score
Deleted by user. Account deletion requested.

Last edited:
Just checked on one of the EU forums and the maximum approved usage for lip balm flavours is 2%

I would guess it might be to do with the combination of oils and waxes you are using.

I just put on some of my lip balm and I can definitely smell the mint chocolate, but when I touch my tongue to it I don't taste mint chocolate. Am I understanding that you want to taste with your tongue vs only smell? If so, maybe try candy flavorings?

I just put on some of my lip balm and I can definitely smell the mint chocolate, but when I touch my tongue to it I don't taste mint chocolate. Am I understanding that you want to taste with your tongue vs only smell? If so, maybe try candy flavorings?

Deleted by user. Account deletion requested.

Last edited:
I generally use flavor oils at 2% and have never had an issue with the pseudo taste. I also use a sweetener to enhance it most times. Not sure why your are having such a difficult time with it. I've also found that if too much is used the oils will weep out of the balm. I use several different suppliers so not sure what to recommend.

About 98% of all the flavor oils that I use come from MMS (I have quite a slew of them!), and the taste comes across quite well for my family, friends and myself. I use most of them at the maximum usage rate listed on their site, but some are strong enough that I am able to use less than the max rate.

I've tried flavor oils from a few other different vendors, but with the exception of the other remaining 2% of all the flavor oils that I use, I must say that I've had the best overall experience with MMS 's in terms of strength of taste, and also quality of the actual flavors themselves (i.e., their Root Beer tastes just like A&W''s, their Peach tastes just like a real juicy peach, etc..). I use their Sugar Baby sweetener, too (at 2%).

When I talk about 'taste', I mean exactly what I say- when we lick our lips, we can actually, truly taste them. Whether or not it's an illusion, or whether or not our senses or taste buds are being fooled, I'll leave that to the brainiacs to argue it out, but for us, the taste sensation is very real.

I'm not in business, but I do a lot of gifting to family and friends at Christmas and birthdays, etc.., and I'm always getting repeat requests for certain flavors from each of them because they love how they taste. If the flavor oils I try out do not emit a taste at their max usage rate, I don't buy them ever again because nobody amongst my family or friends (including me) desires to merely/only smell them.

When do you add the flavor oil to your melted balm base? For what it's worth, I add mine right before I pour into the tubes, then once poured, I immediately place them in the fridge or freezer to solidify them quickly. I'm very small-time- I master-batch my base (just the oils/butters/waxes.....no sweetener or flavor yet) in 1oz - 2oz quantities at a time and store in the fridge until I feel like making a balm or two, or a small handful, at which time they get flavored & sweetened.

IrishLass :)

About 98% of all the flavor oils that I use come from MMS (I have quite a slew of them!), and the taste comes across quite well for my family, friends and myself. I use most of them at the maximum usage rate listed on their site, but some are strong enough that I am able to use less than the max rate.
Ditto ^^^ I generally use MMS flavor oils at the mid-range of the recommended amount. I use Sweet Leaf brand Stevia Extract (a white powder) to sweeten and to enhance the flavor.

https://www.thesage.com/catalog/FlavorOils.html

I mostly use my own recipes but I hafta say, in a pinch, MMS Lip Solutions bases are excellent.

Back