May 2017 SMF Soap Challenge - fluid acrylic cell pour

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes - most of the cells in an acrylic pour paining are round or oval, tho some can be strange rounded squares where 2 cells formed next to each other and pressed together.

I have my cells poured. The swirling in them is subtle, which I was going for, but I'm not sure it will translate well for photos. We'll see!

I was worried about that in my demo. That is why while I went for high contrast in the top, I did not go for extreme swirls for the top

I am glad the cell thing was clarified, because I click on the Vicky frost video embedded in the description, and she did cut hers with an exacto knife. Maybe that I the reason for the confusion?. Round it is!

I am glad the cell thing was clarified, because I click on the Vicky frost video embedded in the description, and she did cut hers with an exacto knife. Maybe that I the reason for the confusion?. Round it is!

No, the video in the description is "Water & Fire". I do not see where she cuts the cells there - tho she might have cleaned them up a bit before using them.

In the video "Earth & Fire" she does a mosaic where she creates a geometric pieces to create a scene, but that is not the inspiration for this challenge.

No, the video in the description is "Water & Fire". I do not see where she cuts the cells there - tho she might have cleaned them up a bit before using them.

In the video "Earth & Fire" she does a mosaic where she creates a geometric pieces to create a scene, but that is not the inspiration for this challenge.

Oh boy, I am sorry. I seem to be making lots of boo boos lately. I have had two very difficult weeks, and I guess my attention is off. I really need to get some rest.

I worked on my cells with MP today. It was such a challenge! You have to work at really hot temperatures, but I think they look cool. I think it would be easier with CP.

Here is where the last time I saw the "sign up"
1. dibbles - I've done this with paint - super fun!
2. Newbie-love me some new techniques
3. Artemis- I have a vision forming in my mind. I hope I have time to do it!
4. BattleGnome - I finally have more than 1 day off in a row! Fingers crossed I can get stuff done.
5. SunRiseArts - going in scared !
6.) Omneya -What's another nervous breakdown gonna do to me. They haven't killed me yet..I am in

1. dibbles - I've done this with paint - super fun!
2. Newbie-love me some new techniques
3. Artemis- I have a vision forming in my mind. I hope I have time to do it!
4. BattleGnome - I finally have more than 1 day off in a row! Fingers crossed I can get stuff done.
5. SunRiseArts - going in scared !
6.) Omneya -What's another nervous breakdown gonna do to me. They haven't killed me yet..I am in
7. Mommycarlson - this is way above my paygrade, but I can't stop thinking about it! I'm in! I think......

Okay, I do have a question. So is this a special soap batter? I was wondering what the "acrylic" means? Okay, another question, how long can I leave the base layer before I put the next layer on before they will refuse to stick to each other? Does that make sense? I have mulled this challenge over and over and now I think my brain is overheating! :) I need to step away for a bit and process. TIA for answering my questions!

I've been looking at videos about making "cells" using acrylic paints as well as the "Water and fire" video.

Looks to me like the paint version of "cells" are formed by using various layers of paint (and sometimes additives such as silicones) that don't want to mix with each other -- the cells form when an upper layer of paint slides away to reveal an underlying layer of paint -- something like oil droplets floating on water. Really cool.

So I get how the paint version works ... but I'm not quite sure I understand the soap version. When making the soapy version of this technique, the cells aren't made like they are with acrylic paint? Instead the little circles of previously-made soap are dropped into a thin layer of variegated soap batter? So it's more of a simulated or faux cell technique?

Could somebody un-confuse me? Thanks!

Okay, I do have a question. So is this a special soap batter? I was wondering what the "acrylic" means? Okay, another question, how long can I leave the base layer before I put the next layer on before they will refuse to stick to each other? Does that make sense? I have mulled this challenge over and over and now I think my brain is overheating! :) I need to step away for a bit and process. TIA for answering my questions!

Nothing special - other than a slow moving recipe. the fluid acrylic cell pour refers to a technique used in abstract painting where acrylic paint is mixed with several things to make it more fluid and poured on to a canvas.

My recipe for is was:

40% Lard
20% Olive
15% Avocado
15% coconut
5% cocoa butter
5% castor

I waited about a day between layers. Your question makes perfect sense, sorry I forgot that info in my voice over.

I've been looking at videos about making "cells" using acrylic paints as well as the "Water and fire" video.

Looks to me like the paint version of "cells" are formed by using various layers of paint (and sometimes additives such as silicones) that don't want to mix with each other -- the cells form when an upper layer of paint slides away to reveal an underlying layer of paint -- something like oil droplets floating on water. Really cool.

Right. Makes me want to invest in some cheap paint and canvases.

So I get how the paint version works ... but I'm not quite sure I understand the soap version. When making the soapy version of this technique, the cells aren't made like they are with acrylic paint? Instead the little circles of previously-made soap are dropped into a thin layer of variegated soap batter? So it's more of a simulated or faux cell technique?

Could somebody un-confuse me? Thanks!

You are right - the cells are made as embeds and placed in the fluid thin top layer of the soap. Vicki did get some cell like spots in her layers before adding the created embeds - I think that was just drops of very fluid batter falling just right, and not the soap sliding away the way it does in paint.

But yes, faux cell is a good way to describe it, and your question : [

Instead the little circles of previously-made soap are dropped into a thin layer of variegated soap batter?

is exactly right.

"...Vicki did get some cell like spots in her layers..."

Yes, and I think that's partly why I have gotten things muddled.

I suspect these cells are caused by more than just using thin fluid soap, but I'd have to try it to know.

In one of her videos she was holding a small dropper bottle of clear liquid and put scattered droplets of liquid on the soap. Not sure what that was, but I wonder if it might have been silicone oil which would work to make "real" cells.

Only watched two of her vids. I can't find this in "Water and Fire", so maybe it was in "Carnaby Street", but couldn't find it there either. I was fast forwarding in an effort to find the spot, and this bit is really brief, so I might have missed it. Grrr.

"...yes, faux cell is a good way to describe it..."

Okay -- all is clear now. Thanks, KC!

"... Makes me want to invest in some cheap paint and canvases..."

Glad to hear I'm not the only one! Remember the kid's toy (or maybe this is before your time, you being such a sweet young thing!) where you put a piece of paper on a turntable, turned the turntable on, and drizzled paint over the whirling paper?

Oops -- it's still around! https://www.amazon.com/dp/B006EQP3JM/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Last edited by a moderator:
Back