when to pour EO into LS?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I add scent to LS (either EO or FO) after dilution. When I've let it rest for a day or so and see no separation, then I add the scent. I also use PS80 blended with the EO/FO at equal weight, then stir into the diluted LS. I haven't had a separation problem yet (fingers crossed) using this method.:)

Yep, at the end of dilution.

I also use poly 80, but I don't premix it with the EO/FO; for me it's just an extra step that proved to be more work than what I felt was necessary. I always hated premixing the scent and poly. The result was always really thick, and trying to get thick paste mixed into thick soap left strange looking floaters that either took extra heat (water bath) or days to get rid off.

These days I add my poly 80 to the hot dilution water and give it a shake to incorporate (I dilute in wide mouth mason jars with plastic lids). Then I add my paste, cover, wrap in a towel (to conserve heat) and let it sit and do its own thing (every couple of hours I might give it a shake to mix things up). It takes about 24 hours for all the paste to dissolve.

When it's time to scent, I either warm the LS in the microwave until warm (less than 120F). I add my scent, put the lid back on and give it a gentle shake. It's always cloudy at this point, but depending on the fragrance, in 2 hours or over night, it's clear and thick.

I add scent to LS (either EO or FO) after dilution. When I've let it rest for a day or so and see no separation, then I add the scent. I also use PS80 blended with the EO/FO at equal weight, then stir into the diluted LS. I haven't had a separation problem yet (fingers crossed) using this method.:)

Yep, at the end of dilution.

I also use poly 80, but I don't premix it with the EO/FO; for me it's just an extra step that proved to be more work than what I felt was necessary. I always hated premixing the scent and poly. The result was always really thick, and trying to get thick paste mixed into thick soap left strange looking floaters that either took extra heat (water bath) or days to get rid off.

These days I add my poly 80 to the hot dilution water and give it a shake to incorporate (I dilute in wide mouth mason jars with plastic lids). Then I add my paste, cover, wrap in a towel (to conserve heat) and let it sit and do its own thing (every couple of hours I might give it a shake to mix things up). It takes about 24 hours for all the paste to dissolve.

When it's time to scent, I either warm the LS in the microwave until warm (less than 120F). I add my scent, put the lid back on and give it a gentle shake. It's always cloudy at this point, but depending on the fragrance, in 2 hours or over night, it's clear and thick.

what is poly 80? Is ps80 the same as poly 80?:???:

I generally add scent (and other additives) after the 2-week sequester. Warming the batch to 140°F, either range top or in the microwave, seems to help to incorporate the scent. I first add 2.5 ml to 8 oz or so LS to see if it needs PS80. Most often, it doesn't.

Latest posts

Back