April 2017 Challenge Entry Thread

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
It's time!

Please post at least one picture of one bar of your entry. Any info you wish to share regarding method, colorants, FO/EO is always appreciated.

No comments please, just entries. If you wish to comment, please use the other thread.

I'll be first, this is scented with Hippie Chick from Rustic Escentuals. I'm in Florida and am posting from my phone so hope this works!

IMG_20170415_101400218_BURST000_COVER.jpg

I used a combination of rotating the slab and plastic fork on mine :)

The pictures are not the best, I had to travel and cut it early, and my son took pictures and used a flash. I have no way to retake the pics at the moment, so sorry about the rough edges and quality of pics.

DSCN1379_zpsl0ptpg7w.jpg

DSCN1380_zpso0fgduq0.jpg

DSCN1382_zpssyzucymp.jpg

I was inspired by the example soap with the one horizontal stripe. My stripe is an emded, cut from the loaf I didn't enter last time. The scent is Afternoon Tea from Nurture. The purple is also from Nurture. It was fun to work out in my mind how to bring a design "to life" and have it come out almost exactly as I hoped.

1492718103268.jpg

My entry soap includes striped embeds from soap I made with The SF Giants in mind. This is one of the BlackSmith Soaps I made for my brother. The main body of the soap is 50% new soap batter mixed with 50% re-batched black soap (from last month's challenge). No new color was added to this soap, but what started out as black soap in the pot turned brown when the FO Dragon's Blood entered the mix.

BlackSmith%20Soap%20with%20Rebatch%20-%202017April09.jpg

I only had time for one attempt this month so it's a bit rustic but you can see what I was trying to attempt. I also used the opportunity to try out a new FO to see how it behaved.

I decided to use a T&S mold so I could get more height for each layer then used single color shreds to create the stripes with a mica line to separate each. The FO is Aqua Pier 1 Type from EBB which moved so slow I had to stir about 10 min before pouring each color and still got break through in the pencil line.

Thanks for the challenge, newbie! It made me think outside my usual "stripe" box and it was loads of fun!:)

IMG_3668.jpg

IMG_3669.jpg

IMG_3670.jpg

Here is mine. For the life of me I can't get stripes or I panic and put the hanger through it. Scented in French Lavender & Honey
Mixed 2 colors for the purple (Still not purple enough :( and two colors for the honey looking color. Not perfect by any means, but it is what it is.

Lavender N Honey 1.jpg

My inspiration photo is from a National Geographic article featuring Alex Cornell's photo of Antarctica iceberg.

www.travel.nationalgeographic.com/travel/365-photos/flipped-iceberg-antarctica/

www.alexcornell.com/antarctica/

So i decided to do a iceberg camouflage theme using cold process soap and melt and pour soap. It's scented with tobacco and bay leaf FO. Maybe it's my mostly hard oil recipe, or FO, or the activated charcoal, or the combo of all, it just thicken up on me. The execution is not what I have in mind. I just keep plop, plop, and bang bang bang the mold!!! ;) :headbanging:

And I should use way more melt and pour than I thought. Anyway, just count the grayish blue as the sky color.

ImageUploadedBySoap Making1493054130.580341.jpgImageUploadedBySoap Making1493054270.593922.jpgImageUploadedBySoap Making1493054363.942047.jpgImageUploadedBySoap Making1493054428.809363.jpg

I was inspired by a recent possible sighting of a Tasmanian Tiger on the mainland of Australia, the hope that these creatures that were wiped out decades ago may still exist somewhere. It’s the faintest of hopes, but as always hope inspires the question “What if … ?”

This soap was to represent the unusual stripes of the Thyacine. It took me a very long time to work through the possible ways to represent these stripes, which increase in size as they travel down the back of this carnivorous marsupial.

The brown stripes will get darker over the next few weeks, and the green will gradually fade off to light cream, so the changing stripe size should show up a little better in a few weeks. They haven't been cleaned up yet. These are 200g bars, the little bit is an offcut end. Please excuse my terrible phone photography.

Made with mostly local EVOO and organic cocoa butter, organic avocado etc. It's a dual-lye soap, coloured with ground organic coffee, local vanilla extract, raw organic cacao powder and organic Manuka honey for the brown, hand-ground oats for the oatmilk in the cream and a herb infusion for the top red/orange tint. No EO's in this one.

Thyacine increment stripes.jpg

Last edited:
Back