The Struggle Is Real

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi, my name is Kaye and I'm a fragrance addict...

I just ordered the Brambleberry spring and best sellers sample packs, because I want to play with fragrances and couldn't decide on just one. I think fragrance is going to be what kills me as I move forward into this hobby. Now if only I could find a dupe of Voluspa's Mokara..

I get it. My first FO order I had to pare down my shopping cart from 28 samples. It was difficult. Then I turned around and ordered samples from another company just a day or two later. :)

I'm not familiar with any of your wife's scents that you named but I can say that Breath of God type from Nurture smells absolutely fantastic. I ordered a sample of it and I'll definitely be ordering a big bottle. Their Oudh Heart type is also phenomenal. I want to make myself some perfume with it.

:bunny:What does Breath of God and Oudh Heart smell like?

I have a plastic tote that all sample bottles must fit into. Therefore, I must reduce my sample bottles. That is why I am trying to blend those pesky last little bits together to get rid of them.

I might borrow this strategy. Otherwise I see my fragrance attraction getting out of control.

This strategy works well...until you go to Target and get another plastic storage tote.

LOL. I only have ever found two opaque plastic totes that fit on my soaping cart (to prevent UV damage on those costly scents), the other one has my EOs and larger bottles of FOs that I know I love. It is not full. But I can't order more samples until they other has room in it.

My question is this: What do y'all do with FO samples that you hate, and don't even want to blend them? I have quite a few.

I have a plastic tote that all sample bottles must fit into.

Yeahhh... that's what I told myself, too..... in the beginning. The strategy worked for me for about a year until the 'tote' turned into a much larger box. Then the larger box turned into a stand-alone 3-shelf wall cabinet; then the 3-shelf wall cabinet turned into a 3-shelf cabinet plus 9 boxes (10 if I include my box of reject FOs that I'm still debating what to do with). :lol:

IrishLass :)

I have a plastic tote that all sample bottles must fit into. Therefore, I must reduce my sample bottles. That is why I am trying to blend those pesky last little bits together to get rid of them.

I do this too! Unfortunately it hasn't curbed my ordering much, I've been buying bigger bottles of ones I know I like. The biggest trouble I'm having with them is picking a favorite between a bunch of citrusy ones to order in a larger size. Everyone in the house likes citrus, but there 5 different favorites between 5 people.

I'd love to congratulate you on your restraint, but think it might be prudent to ask a question first:

How big is the tote (lest I imagine a shower cubby when you are actually referencing a giant storage bin)?

My FO's, EO's, and other small bottles (high-end oils, preservatives, extracts, etc) all occupy a cabinet that is roughly 18" square. It's getting a little messy in there, so I bought shelves. Technically, I am still utilizing the same space...but I'll be able to fit a lot more in it : )

Last edited:
My question is this: What do y'all do with FO samples that you hate, and don't even want to blend them? I have quite a few.

Gifts.

I don't currently have too many scents that I dislike, I'm too new to soaping for that. My first batch of salt bars will be cured in 2-3 weeks. If those turn out well I'd use the hated scents in salt bars since you tend to need more PPO to combat fading.

I haven't done it yet, but am tempted to do some selective editing soon. My plan would be to utilize one of three options depending on how much work I am willing to do:

1. I could post a "swap" ad on the forum with lists of FOs that I have to trade and those that I am most interested in from other vendors. However, this seems a bit cumbersome to manage and is really only cost-effective if someone has a decent number to exchange with me.

2. I could post them for sale on Craigslist as a group. Some beginner will be happy to buy the lot for a reasonable price.

3. I could just post them on here for free to anyone within driving distance...such as snappyllama did when she was moving.

Last edited:
I just ordered like 6 or 8 (I don't even know) fragrance samples from Nurture. :shh: I've got 3 or 4 fragrances already in line to try at home, too. Stop Judging Me! It's a sickness. :crazy:
LOL If you're looking for sympathy, George, ya ain't gonna get it here. Enablers, that's what we are. So, on that note... ONLY 6 or 8??? ONLY 3 or 4 at home?
(Just teasin' ya :mrgreen: )

lol I only buy the 1 oz samples. As I only make 1 pound batches, so they are perfect for me, and I can use a different one every time. Now please, do not ask hoe many I have ....
Oh do tell! Maybe others will 'fess up too! I think George hasn't got a clue what a REAL FO HO is likely to have in his/her cache... (the misspelled word "hoe" at the end says it all! LOL)

:bunny:What does Breath of God and Oudh Heart smell like?

Breath of God is a sophisticated floral that has a green and woody undertone that balances it and keeps it from being 'flowery'.

Oudh Heart is a slightly spicy woody scent. It has a very slight musty note which reminds me of the smell of old wooden bookshelves, actually.

Sorry BG - but I can't agree you have a problem yet. Here is a pic of my fo stash, on the left hand cart.

Yes there are some lotion supplies and my mb lye there... But most of it is fo and eo bottles.

1490508221832.jpg

Breath of God is a sophisticated floral that has a green and woody undertone that balances it and keeps it from being 'flowery'.

Oudh Heart is a slightly spicy woody scent. It has a very slight musty note which reminds me of the smell of old wooden bookshelves, actually.

Drat it... I've been looking for a nice floral that doesn't overwhelm with flower notes..

Dangerous, dangerous...

Latest posts

Back