What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So both my lye and my lard were delivered today.. Yey!

Again I was over ambitious and tried to CP some colorful, swirly soap.. And so many things went wrong. I'm close to tears (not really but you get the picture lol).

I miscalculated batch size. These are gonna be like those tiny hotel soaps haha.. Then I could not get the micas blended well so my nice batter that I only stick blended til emulsion, ended up too thick too pour by the time I was not even halfway through. Then, as I was swirling the top, my chopstick fell, and the cat decided to take a stroll on the overhead shelf and dropped a couple of packets of gravy mix and chill flakes (I soap in the kitchen) onto my mold. Those **** micas didn't even give me the colors i envisioned.

So I think I'm gonna end up with my ugliest soap so far... Boooo!
Ooh! MGM beat me to it! Can't wait to see the soap colors with gravy and chili! I don't trust my little cat (nickname "Trouble") so I lock her in the basement when I soap.

Made a soap! I like the fragrance (camomile) but the FO accelerates like crazy so i cant really do pretty designs. I can barely get the thing in the mold before it becomes soap on a stick. Eh. I already learned how to deal with that. I dont ming if it ends up being just a plain color soap.

Ooh! MGM beat me to it! Can't wait to see the soap colors with gravy and chili! I don't trust my little cat (nickname "Trouble") so I lock her in the basement when I soap.

Mine are nicknamed the terrortwins and i dont have anything so fancy as a basement so they get thrown outside or more encouraged with clicks and demands of out lol

Well i got my hanger swirl tool and some more wax paper to wrap. Its getting late so going to be soon. Got hopefully the lye coming just found out iv been paying more than another company thats specific soap supplier but i didnt look at the cost of the lye from them because everything else is far more expensive was only after reading an old post by @LilyJo that i looked at the soap kitchen and discovered it was cheaper. oh well.

What other suppliers do you use lily? for oils butters i use the soapery they are same if not a little bit cheaper for everything also get my micas there and eo quick and always free postage. I use either mystic moments, livemoor but mostly supplies for candles for my fo. Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated :)

I’ve been practicing making soap stones! I just used soap that was still soft. It’s a decent first try but I’ve got a way to go before they are ready for prime time!

7DD44CB0-8517-431B-9CBC-0B61527A1359.jpeg

I’ve been practicing making soap stones! I just used soap that was still soft. It’s a decent first try but I’ve got a way to go before they are ready for prime time!

View attachment 35987

Those are lovely, H.! I see i'm gonna really hafta up my game for this challenge!! Got some ideas brewing... not sure how they'd work out in practice. I bet I end up with 3 or 4 tests before I get anything presentable.

The rest of what I already ordered ... before deciding no more spending until I'm back at work and see my March 1 check ... came today. White Kaolin clay, stearic acid (yikes, can't believe i'm going there), glycerin, activated charcoal, meadowfoam seed oil. So, I should be ready for my first LS batch, but not feeling too motivated today. That probably means that I'm not mentally ready for trying a new soaping technique, and things usually go badly if I force myself into something when not really in the mood. Plus, cabin fever, snowed today and quite cold (I haven't been leaving the house much for 3 weeks anyway) -- plus my mood is never great when I feel broke. :(

Last edited by a moderator:
The rest of what I already ordered ... before deciding no more spending until I'm back at work and see my March 1 check ... came today. White Kaolin clay, stearic acid (yikes, can't believe i'm going there), glycerin, activated charcoal, meadowfoam seed oil. So, I should be ready for my first LS batch, but not feeling too motivated today. That probably means that I'm not mentally ready for trying a new soaping technique, and things usually go badly if I force myself into something when not really in the mood. Plus, cabin fever, snowed today and quite cold (I haven't been leaving the house much for 3 weeks anyway) -- plus my mood is never great when I feel broke. :(

Punch a door i tried it once made me cry but that was mostly due to the pain and the amount of bleeding that happened oh and the 2-3 holes i put in my living door was a slight downside to my rage filled punches. But generally it helped wait thinking about it no it didnt. I think your better not taking that advice it was poorly thought out oh and i had an infected wound too a few days later which docs put me on anti biotics for. It kinda helped the anger though so if thats a problem you never know give it a punch whats the worse that could happen.

Oh wait tyson wants his say. The picture says it all. NOOOOOOOOOOO is his answer :p:p:p:p

Attachments

• 20190205_022812.jpg
    20190205_022812.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 16
View attachment 35898 Unmolded last night but waited til this morning to cut. I'm not fishing for compliments here but I'm disappointed in this batch. I don't think it gelled which I wanted. I soaped at the lowest temp (near room temp) I ever have and wonder if that affected gel. In the first hour, mold did not feel warm so I put on a heat register overnight. BUT it smells wonderful!

Beautiful Colors. I love the Teal in them.

I think I must be channeling @Dean : orange ginger soap from weeks ago still curing in the dining room, but the new orange and listea cubeba alien brain soap (OLCAB) is cooling its heels in the next room, and I'm diffusing Thieves' Oil in the bedroom....room to room, it's all orange all the time.

I think I must be channeling @Dean : orange ginger soap from weeks ago still curing in the dining room, but the new orange and listea cubeba alien brain soap (OLCAB) is cooling its heels in the next room, and I'm diffusing Thieves' Oil in the bedroom....room to room, it's all orange all the time.
And there's something wrong with that?? I love Orange!

It is lovely....and I'm drinking it in now while I can because I've heard that orange tends to fade....

I don't trust any cat lol but this is the first time one of them has done this. That shelf is not even one of their regular catwalks.
There was a higher moral to my story and you focus on the cat lmao
**snicker**
No, no, no :nonono: don’t drink soap!!!
Haha you beat me to it! I was like wait.. What? Nooooo..

So here's what I've got to show for all last night's stress. So much stress that I got hungry after soaping, even though I already ate dinner. One measly piece. The rest are too embarrassing to show.
_20190207_121115.JPG

And anyone who knows me will know that I will not willingly make pastel soap lol. Those micas are out to get me. But at least the "red" showed this time haha

So here's what I've got to show for all last night's stress. So much stress that I got hungry after soaping, even though I already ate dinner. One measly piece. The rest are too embarrassing to show.
View attachment 35994
And anyone who knows me will know that I will not willingly make pastel soap lol. Those micas are out to get me. But at least the "red" showed this time haha

That's really pretty! The tops look a lot like my last CP soaps, and you liked Thooosse ... :p

I did manage to make a loaf of soap today and I am SO excited about it! Now I have to be patient and wait for it to be ready to come out and cut. Why is that always the hardest part?

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe> :D

Last edited by a moderator:
That's really pretty! The tops look a lot like my last CP soaps, and you liked Thooosse ... :p
I did! I do.. Unfortunately not all of the tops look remotely like yours lol but here's another one that's not too bad. Oh btw these were made in a lined cardboard slab mold that contained donuts several hours before lol and I tried a corner pour.
_20190207_151648.JPG

_20190207_151824.JPG

You can see blue mica spots. I thought I had mixed them well enough in a bit of oil before mixing in the soap and I sti got them. Took my lovely emulsion straight to thick trace just trying to mix colors.

Back