Oil infusions

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MoonBath

Reaction score
I don't mean to ask redundant questions, but none of the search terms I came up with got me to an answer. If I infuse olive oil with an herb like lavender or calendula, will any of the scent survive saponification? How about the healing properties?

Ok, then. Why do people bother to do it? Just to say it's in there, or just in case some of the properties make it through?

I think its a combo of label appeal for the people who sell and a just in case thing. Some herbs do retain a bit of scent but it fades really fast. Camomile retains some scent and color and I tried lemon thyme infusion once. It smelled for about a week but now its gone.

Some of the herbs do seem to hold on to their properties such as arnica and comfrey, but not in soap. I haven't found one yet that retains it's color in soap.

Some smells survive and some don't. I have been messing around with infusions for a few reasons and am looking for why some things work and some don't. I've got a stack of books to get through at the same time though. Clove and star anise have worked for me. Lemon, chai tea, and chamomile have not come through. Well the tea had a scent but not what it went in smelling like. I'm going to try lavender soon and some others.

My lavender and basil infused oils do have some smell after the cook. It's faint but it's there. Of course I boost it with the same eo, but without it I do think they would fade in time.

Latest posts

Back