Is this gelling?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thesoapmom

Reaction score
ImageUploadedBySoap Making1378127015.205777.jpgImageUploadedBySoap Making1378127025.833932.jpg

I still don't know much about gelling, as this is my first batch of soap. Just looking for some help on if these look ok so far. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Soap Making

Not entirely sure, but I think it gelled. Gelled soap is generally more translucent and dark while ungelled is more creamy and opaque and lighter colored.

Here's a tip for the future, if you cut your soap upside down, the decorations on the top won't drag through the soap.

Congrats on your first batch! Mine was not nearly as pretty.

I'm adding a couple of photos that may help. Here is a batch that partially gelled, the gelled portion is in the middle radiating out:

partialgel.jpg

Here is soap gelling in the mold. The outer edge has not yet gelled.

turmericgelling.jpg

Oh what a great trick! I wouldn't have thought of that. Thanks so much!

Soapmom did you end up covering at all besides the plastic wrap? Think I recall it was in a thin mold right?
Do you know if it got really warm?

It likely did gel since it was a larger mold but I kinda think it looks like no gel. Then again.. It's already cut and you had a lot of OO so likely is gelled. Haha!
Either way it looks good and you were able to cut it fine so your all set!
Congrats. :) very nice!

Thanks for all your help!! I did Saran Wrap and a towel overnight on granite in a cardboard mold. Now it's cut and in my cool basement.

If you had a thick towel wrapped around it, it probably gelled. Having it on granite helped keep some heat in too. How long did you keep it wrapped up? and were you able to keep yourself from peeking too much? It's hard for me to leave my soap alone :p If I'm going to gell my soap I typically have to make it in the evening so that its left along while I sleep and I can't peek LOL

You don't need to keep it in a cool basement. In fact, if you have any moisture in your basement you may want to consider a room with a little less moisture to cure it.

I didn't peek at all last night, I was so proud of myself. but at 8:30am this morning, I sure did, haha.

I decided to bring it up from the basement and now it's on the cookie sheet on my granite. We have the A/C on at 73*.

You guys are so helpful to new soapmakers! I love that about this board!

I read on your other thread that you were able to cut within 12 hours. That suggests that it gelled. Had it not, it probably would have been too soft.

Back