Dirty guy finds soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

passedpawn

Squeeky Clean
Reaction score
Hi everyone. I've been looking at doing this for a long time. I have all this lye around for baking. I know others who are avid soap makers, but I kept putting it off.

Wife and I were at the craft market this past Saturday and she bought several bars and I thought it was about time I got with all the cool kids. Sunday I bought a couple of pieces of poplar, made a mold, and used coconut/olive/crisco we already had to make batch. Used some essential oil we already had that smelled fruity. I separated the last 1/3rd and added some red dye, poured it on top, did a little stir.

Sliced it tonight (with a cheese knife :) ). Pretty stoked. Looks good, but I hope it gets the grime off too. Will let it ripen for a month, then testing time. In the meantime, I think I'll make a bunch more.

Hope to rise to the level of the rest of you soon! Some remarkable stuff here.

_mg_2056-1488.jpg

_mg_2057-1489.jpg

Welcome Andrew! :wave:

Your mold and your soap look great!

I have all this lye around for baking. I know others who are avid soap makers, but I kept putting it off.

It was the other way around for me. I had all this lye around for soaping and heard about others making pretzels with lye but kept putting it off. :lol: I finally did it, and I will never make pretzels without lye again. It makes all the difference in the world. :thumbup:

IrishLass :)

Welcome to the Suds Side!

That first soap is impressive! Talk about coming out of the gate with a splash! I think you already count as one of the cool kids, you'll just be cleaner than most of them as well!

Well YOU are the COOL KID! My first soap is a thousand miles from yours. Aesthetically. ;)
Welcome to the addiction! Now you have to decide how you want to do with lye. pretzel or soap with it instead.

Ok, my last post to this intro thread, but I wanted to close the loop on my first soap. I got anxious and decided to give it a go. Wow. So different than whatever that blue clump I was using before was.

Maybe TMI, but I use bar soap for shaving and shampooing too. Have since I was young. I noticed a marked improvement in everything. Haha, I'm hooked!

Andrew welcome! I can't believe how beautiful your first soap came out! I was so nervous with my first one that I forgot an oil and had to rebatch it. I messed that up too but it was still usable lol. Glad you found us and found another obsession. You will need to build an addition to your house to hold all of your soaping supplies (just kidding but right now my kitchen table has nothing on it except soaping stuff!) You did a bang-up job on the mold as well.

Sucker! I remember being "that guy" that wanted to make a batch to see what it would be like. Now I'm planning batches in my head for just about every weekend. Soon you'll be up to your ears in soap. You'll eventually have 5 or more bars of soap in the shower and wonder what happened. And don't even get me started on the collection of FO samples that you'll inevitably soon acquire. You made your first batch thus opening Pandora's box. You don't know it yet but you're done for.
Welcome to soapcrack.

Hi everyone. I've been looking at doing this for a long time. I have all this lye around for baking. I know others who are avid soap makers, but I kept putting it off.

Wife and I were at the craft market this past Saturday and she bought several bars and I thought it was about time I got with all the cool kids. Sunday I bought a couple of pieces of poplar, made a mold, and used coconut/olive/crisco we already had to make batch. Used some essential oil we already had that smelled fruity. I separated the last 1/3rd and added some red dye, poured it on top, did a little stir.

Sliced it tonight (with a cheese knife :) ). Pretty stoked. Looks good, but I hope it gets the grime off too. Will let it ripen for a month, then testing time. In the meantime, I think I'll make a bunch more.

Hope to rise to the level of the rest of you soon! Some remarkable stuff here.

_mg_2056-1488.jpg

_mg_2057-1489.jpg

Back