~*~ SMF May 2017 Challenge - Fluid Acrylic Cell Pour!! ~*~
~ May 2017 Challenge Photo Entry Thread ~

Soap Making Forum > The Soap Making & Craft Forum > Beginners Soap Making Forum > make african black soap

Old 02-12-2017, 11:49 PM   #11
cmzaha
Supporting Member
SOAP_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 4388 Times on 2596 Posts
Likes Given: 875

I am a purest about some things and ABS is one of them. It is not ABS if it is made here no matter how you make it. I do sell it but it comes in from Ghana from a friend that imports it. Of course I know I have mentioned it before, I just believe we should buy the real ABS and help support the women of the tribes that know how to make it. This is might sound odd when I will not send my soap scraps to Clean the World, but donate them where I live.

People Like This 
Old 05-19-2017, 02:03 PM   #12
Hbsmith121

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default How to make it

I would like to use ABS in my soap. So I woudl like to know how to do it. I thought I would buy ABS, crumble it up and add it to a batch. My questions are, first, is this possible?
and second what oils woudl be good to use in the base soap recipe? I have heard that ABS contains a high amount of shea butter so that may not be a good oil to use. Thanks.

WeaversPort Likes This 
Old 05-19-2017, 03:07 PM   #13
WeaversPort
Voyages of Curiosity

Liked 513 Times on 237 Posts
Likes Given: 2351

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hbsmith121 View Post
I would like to use ABS in my soap. So I woudl like to know how to do it. I thought I would buy ABS, crumble it up and add it to a batch. My questions are, first, is this possible?
and second what oils woudl be good to use in the base soap recipe? I have heard that ABS contains a high amount of shea butter so that may not be a good oil to use. Thanks.
There would be a couple of ways to do that. One, you could shred or crumble it into a soap just the way you would with a confetti soap or embed.

If you want it more blended in, you could also do a part rebatch, part new soap hot process mix. You would either add the shreds to the mix of oils you want for the new soap, melt it down together over heat and blend it up with the stick blender, add lye water, blend with stick blender, pour into molds.. (or finish it as a hot process).

Or rebatch the normal way with other soaps you like.

As to what recipe, I guess it would depend on what kind of soap you like and what you're starting with. I saw one ABS seller selling soap with a high coconut, which they stated "could be drying."

But in other cases it seems to be the potash mixture, with coconut, and shea. And some of them add palm to the mix instead.

Oils like castor, avocado, sweet almond, olive oil, cocoa butter might be a nice addition to the soap.

Welcome to Weaver's Port

Last edited by WeaversPort; 05-19-2017 at 03:29 PM.
Hbsmith121 Likes This 
Old 05-19-2017, 04:16 PM   #14
cmzaha
Supporting Member
SOAP_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 4388 Times on 2596 Posts
Likes Given: 875

ABS soap varies from trlbe to tribe since they are handed down recipes. You will never know what is in true tribal made ABB. Also be very careful as there can be husk pieces and plant material in the soap. In my opinion most if not all of us make better soap. I do keep a lot around to sell because I have a few customers that will not use anything else. I get mine from a vendor friend that imports it from the same tribe so mine is fairly consistant

Old 05-25-2017, 07:04 AM   #15
Zany_in_CO
Saponifier

Liked 390 Times on 259 Posts
Likes Given: 1662

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hbsmith121 View Post
Yes. See WeaversPort's comments above.
Quote:
...and second what oils woudl be good to use in the base soap recipe? I have heard that ABS contains a high amount of shea butter so that may not be a good oil to use. Thanks.
Elements Bath & Body has a VERY nice recipe for ABS using Smooth Coconut Carbon Powder. Here's a link:

https://www.elementsbathandbody.com/...er-Smooth.html