Dual Lye Liquid Soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WhackySoaper

Reaction score
Hi, my question is can I use 90% KOH And 10% NaOH and Oils to make liquid soap? Running the recipe through Summerbee's it says 12.15 oz. KOH and 1.35 NaOH but I won't be using alcohol, glycerin or Potassium Carbonate. My concern is will this cook to a paste and will I be able to dilute the paste to liquid and it stay liquid with the addition of the NaOH? Thanks

You will be abel to cook and dilute it as usual, the problem is that after the dilution the NaOH soap might separate from the KOH soap, so you will end up with a lump of gel soap in your container of liquid soap.

NaOH won't act as an thickener in liquid soap.

Thanks Nao, do you know if there's anything I can add to keep the soap from separating?

Your soap will not separate. I have made batches from 5% NaOH/95% KOH to 55%NaOH/45% KOH. Not a one ever separated.

First of all, go use Soapee.com. It is much easier than SBM, and you can save your recipes.

Next, what benefit do you hope to gain from making a hybrid soap? As Nao states, NaOH will NOT thicken your soap. There are thickening agents you can use to thicken soap, but NaOH is not one of them.

It seems like it should work. Yep. But it doesn't. If you would make several batches, all identical except for the proportion of NaOH and KOH, you'll find a point at which the soap with slightly less NaOH behaves more like a typical liquid soap. And soap with slightly more NaOH will behave more like a typical bar soap.

We think soap should act like it has a dimmer switch -- we want the light to get gradually brighter and brighter as you slide the switch or rotate the dial. What really happens is soap acts more like it has got a plain old On-Off switch.

Your soap will not separate. I have made batches from 5% NaOH/95% KOH to 55%NaOH/45% KOH. Not a one ever separated.

First of all, go use Soapee.com. It is much easier than SBM, and you can save your recipes.

Next, what benefit do you hope to gain from making a hybrid soap? As Nao states, NaOH will NOT thicken your soap. There are thickening agents you can use to thicken soap, but NaOH is not one of them.

I don't mean to hijack the thread, I would like to know what 5% of NaOH adds to the liquid soap? I read somewhere else that you tried up to 40% NaOH? Thank you

IMO, 5% NaOH does not have any benefit for a liquid soap. Hopefully Susie will chime in on what she found with the other NaOH and KOH combos she tried.

In a bar soap, the reverse adds some nice benefits -- 5% KOH will increase the lather in a high oleic soap or in a high stearic-palmitic soap. It also reduces the slimy, stringy gel that high oleic soaps love to make.

There was no appreciable difference in the soap made with any amount of NaOH. It was a complete waste of time. The only thing it did was prove unequivocably that the on/off switch description of DeeAnna's is absolutely correct. Liquid soap is going to act the same until it becomes bar soap as you increase the NaOH.

As DeeAnna said, the use of KOH in NaOH soap makes the bar soaps awesome. It is now my go-to lye mixture.

IMO, 5% NaOH does not have any benefit for a liquid soap. Hopefully Susie will chime in on what she found with the other NaOH and KOH combos she tried.

In a bar soap, the reverse adds some nice benefits -- 5% KOH will increase the lather in a high oleic soap or in a high stearic-palmitic soap. It also reduces the slimy, stringy gel that high oleic soaps love to make.

I am following your instruction of adding 5% KOH to my bar soaps, I just started adding citric acid and you told me not to "dual lye" the citric acid.
Kudos to you DeeAnna for your great contribution in almost everything here.

There was no appreciable difference in the soap made with any amount of NaOH. It was a complete waste of time. The only thing it did was prove unequivocably that the on/off switch description of DeeAnna's is absolutely correct.

Thank you susie for sharing your experience about this point.

Hi Susie, I was actually hoping for a thicker soap and saving on some of the use of KOH because I've been making mostly LS and having to buy it more than I like, I have a lot of NaOHI I'm not using but wanted to do so if I could in the LS. I saw a video where someone used the dual method using a 45% of NaOH and claimed the LS was thicker. Thanks everyone for you input

There are claims that NaOH thickens the liquid soap, I agree that is true, but I don't see much if any concrete proof, especially from soapers I know have creditable soaping skills.

It's the same with "liquid soap" made by adding water to grated NaOH soap -- the pictures and the gushing reviews are about the mixture right after it's been made. No one tells you what this mixture is like a few weeks or months later.

I was actually hoping for a thicker soap and saving on some of the use of KOH because I've been making mostly LS and having to buy it more than I like, I have a lot of NaOHI I'm not using but wanted to do so if I could in the LS.

If I'm understanding your train of thought, you're thinking about adding NaOH to liquid soap for 2 reasons:

1. to thicken the soap; and
2. to use up some of your NaOH.

As to thickening the liquid soap, I tend to agree with the others that adding NaOH won't result in an appreciable difference in the thickness. Personally, I think there are easier methods for building viscosity: keeping your dilution water at equal to or less than the paste amount (and having the patience to let it dissolve!), and adding table salt (you'll need to have a high amount of oleic fatty acid to make this work).

In regards to your desire to use up some of your NaOH, I say go for it. Given that NaOH is (generally) cheaper, of higher purity than KOH, and any given amount will saponify more oils than the same amount of KOH, you might end up saving some money. If you're not using the NaOH for bars soap, why not try a small amount in your liquid soap? If I wasn't a "why use 2 when 1 will suffice" kind of guy, I might even give it a go.

Hi Susie, I wanted to ask your opinion about the highest percentage of NaOH I can use according to your testing of the dual lye? Also when doing it this way do I combine both lyes together and then to batch water or do I mix each of them separately in batch water and then add to oils? Thanks

You can use up to 50% NaOH, however, it is an odd soap. Not really functional. Dilution is problematic, if I recall correctly. I liked much lower-closer to 20% or lower.

You can mix both lyes together, then add to the water. Just understand that KOH mixed with NaOH gets as hot as KOH alone does. It does the mini-boil thing, just like KOH alone does.

Oh, and let me add that if you want to make good thick liquid soap, you need to go read IrishLass' recipe. Makes marvelous thick soap. Post #8 of this thread:

http://www.soapmakingforum.com/showthread.php?t=46114

Hi Susie and Thanks for your reply. I made the soap yesterday using 55% KOH and 45% NaOH, the soap cooked about 7 hours to get translucent. I haven't diluted it yet but I did do a clear test. I used bubbly oils but the little bits on the spoon I tested didn't seem so bubbly what I'm used to, I'll start diluting tonight and let you know how it goes. Thanks for everyone's help.

Ok, it's been 2 days since I started the dilution process and it's still not completely diluted. At first a 1:1 seemed like it was way to thin which is unusual for LS but this is a hybrid so I see in that respect it's different. I checked it last night and it was still watery way to thin for my liking but tonight I just checked and it's very thick, the thickest LS I've ever seen so much so I'll probably add more water. I just hope it doesn't continue to thicken and turn to that nasty slime soap you get when you dilute bar soap. Oh and it's very bubbly.

Thank you for updating. I was just wondering if using NaOH would help thicken LS to commercial body wash consistency without added thickeners. Keep us updated.

Back