Liquid soap - taffy stage has turned solid HELP!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

haidsta

Reaction score
Arnhemland, Northern Territory, Australia
Hi there,
I've done loads of research and today have made two batches of liquid soap. First batch was 100% coconut oil and turned out really nice. I've just done an olive / castor oil batch and it was certainly longer to go through the stages but I have discovered that it's gone solid. I took it to an opaque taffy and then turned the heat off and lidded the crock pot with the intention to leave it over night to finish the cook. I got into it with a knife and broke it apart. But now I'm wondering how to save it... more liquid???

Hope you lovely experienced soapers can help.

My recipe:
Soap calc - 1%superfat; 3:1 water to lye
540g olive oil
60g castor oil
124.7g KOH
374.2g liquid (2/3 water, 1/3 glycerine)

Thank you both so much for your prompt responses :) I'm so relieved! I ended up adding 1/4 cup hot water, worked it in a bit and let it sit for 1/2 hour and then it was much softer. I wanted to keep most of it as a paste and so I only diluted a cup. It looks great now, no zap and lovely suds when I washed up. The coconut one I diluted earlier is a bit cloudy which is a shame, it was nice and clear when I tested it. I don't plan to use them straight away so will see what they look like in a week or so.

Irishlass, I really appreciated your in depth tutorial in the other thread, it was the thing that really gave me the courage to give it a go :)

Well a picture says a 1000 words. The soap diluted perfectly! I'm so happy! :)

img_4279-1466.jpg

Back