Recipe O.K.?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Luckyone80

Reaction score
Does this recipe look ok or would you make any modifications? I am super new, please any help is appreciated.

IMG_5046.jpg

That looks good!

I prefer more palm or lard or tallow to a little less olive oil, so I might adjust those two a bit if it were for me, but what you have there will give you a very nice soap!

It looks good but with cleansing 17 it could be a tad drying. I never go over 20% of CO and everyone likes that. othewise it should a nice bar of soap:))

It looks good but with cleansing 17 it could be a tad drying. I never go over 20% of CO and everyone likes that. othewise it should a nice bar of soap:))

Someone else said that the 17 was a bit high, how would you adjust? Coconut oil to 20% and then where would you apply the 5%? I have other oils available to use too - lard, avocado & sunflower.

I don't personally find 25% coconut oil too drying, especially since you have other very conditioning oils in the recipe. IF you wanted to knock it down 5% I would say add that to your palm oil.

I like up to 25% coconut (sometimes I go all the way to 30% shhhh), if your skin tends to be dry you can bump that superfat to 6-8%, but I might just be an oddball.

If you wanted to shave 5% off of the coconut, then I would bump up the sweet almond oil by 5%, or maybe the palm instead - run it both ways and see what the numbers do. You could even split the difference and bump both by 2.5%

you can put the 5% to palm. or stick with your current recipe and just up the superfat to something like 7-8% perhaps. i personally have no problem with that amount of coconut oil and have gone higher than 25%.

Does this look better? When you say check your numbers, I don't necessarily know what "good" numbers are, sorry so many questions.

Good.jpg

looks okay to me. as with the "numbers", for me they serve as guidelines only. castile looks really bad on paper, but in reality it's a great soap.

i would personally decrease the water from 38 to somewhere around 30% (if you ain't doing swirls or using fussy FOs and all that).

That looks like a lot of water, is the water ok?

It's a little high, for me, but starting out it's not such a bad thing. Try changing the water from 38 down to around 33 and see how you like it.

I'm too visual, I keep looking at the pic of your recipe thinking, ooohh, wonder how i could make a swirl that looked like that. Anyone else see that, or is just coming across on my screen that way. hahaha

What does it change (I am newbie too) to change the amount of water? Shorter cure time? Faster trace?
I could use that soap is mild. You ask what oil to bump up, I do olive oil or avocado oil:)

It can help speed up trace and then obviously there is less water to evaporate during cure. I've heard it argued that it "speeds" up the cure time, but I tend to run with the group that believes it still needs a 4 to 6 week cure time. There's more going on in that "cure" than just the water evaporating.

Just watch doing a water discount with anything that is going to speed up the trace. For instance, salt soaps tend to move fast, so I never discount water with those recipes. Also be careful if your scenting with a EO or FO that is known to accelerate trace. I usually recommend getting used to the techniques, being able to distinguish a light trace . Then start cutting back slowly on the water till you find a percentage that works for you, and your technique, temperature, scents, etc.

Yeah guys you are sellers I am not so I can take my time to cure it for 8 weeks which I do. Thank you for explanation.
Someone said 25%of CO is not drying his skin, I would be cracked and bleeding. Due the allergies and sensitivity to commercial products, I started from creams and lotion through salves (herbs were always my passion, back into 40 years or so) then soaps. My skin is good , very good, lately I get complemented on my pores not showing. Considering that I am 6 decade on this planet it means something. This forum is giving me my life back ; life without scratching and itchy skin. Thanks to Obsidian I have an awesome shampoo bar and I love it dearly. I just need to copy Irishlass:angel: with the glicerin soap. Susie is the most helpful, most people here are awesome and they seem not to mind my English :))

Yeah guys you are sellers I am not so I can take my time to cure it for 8 weeks which I do. Thank you for explanation.
Someone said 25%of CO is not drying his skin, I would be cracked and bleeding. Due the allergies and sensitivity to commercial products, I started from creams and lotion through salves (herbs were always my passion, back into 40 years or so) then soaps. My skin is good , very good, lately I get complemented on my pores not showing. Considering that I am 6 decade on this planet it means something. This forum is giving me my life back ; life without scratching and itchy skin. Thanks to Obsidian I have an awesome shampoo bar and I love it dearly. I just need to copy Irishlass:angel: with the glicerin soap. Susie is the most helpful, most people here are awesome and they seem not to mind my English :))

I'm from Texas, how could I ever give anyone grief about abusing the English language.To this day I have no idea what Barbed Wire is, but we used to have to fix a lot of fence made with something that looks similar, called Bob War. Sometimes I think I even type with an accent. :)

I'm from Texas, how could I ever give anyone grief about abusing the English language.To this day I have no idea what Barbed Wire is, but we used to have to fix a lot of fence made with something that looks similar, called Bob War. Sometimes I think I even type with an accent. :)

Hehe I'm from Mississippi but I don't know what barbed wire is either ;) Bob War is very well known in these parts though.

Back