Shampoo and Facial Creams

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smeetree

Reaction score
Can someone tell me which ingredient (a) thickens homemade shampoo and (b) allows homemade facial creams to be solid/stable at room temp?

For the first question, I tried xanthum gum in the past, and it was kind of gooey and mostly sat on the bottom of the bottle rather than integrate. Regarding facial creams, I used olive oil, avocado, coconut, and some cocoa butter. It stayed hard in winter, but during summer would melt at room temperature. Also it was not "creamy" or easy to apply.

Thank you

Did you use emulsifier in your facial creams? If you post your full recipe people will be able to help more. I can't help with the shampoo I'm afraid as I've not made any.

Did you use emulsifier in your facial creams? If you post your full recipe people will be able to help more. I can't help with the shampoo I'm afraid as I've not made any.

Sure, I just basically mixed all the oils mentioned (coconut, olive, avocado, and cocoa butter). :)

I thought the cocoa butter and coconut oil would keep the cream somewhere between hard and soft and it does most of the year, but in winter it gets very hard and in summer it melts. So I need an emulsifier to make this work? Which would you recommend?

I am from the soap section and never make facial creams. My mother wanted one for Christmas last year and I tried it. This year I wanted to try to make a better one. Thank you

Thanks all.

Darn, it looks like there is no natural emulsifiers so I will have to scrap this project. I can't give my mom chemicals (or borax) in good conscience. Someone mentioned Beeswax and Rosewater as a possible option but said it spoils faster. I might try that out of curiosity for my own face.

I usually use polawax and bmts 50 and emulsimulse, two weeks ago I made a very nice hand cream with Ewax which is generic polawax. The cream is really stable:)
Add something like glycol alcohol to get the glide in cream.

Thanks all.

Darn, it looks like there is no natural emulsifiers so I will have to scrap this project. I can't give my mom chemicals (or borax) in good conscience. Someone mentioned Beeswax and Rosewater as a possible option but said it spoils faster. I might try that out of curiosity for my own face.
I paraphrase Susan, (Swiftcraftymonkey), "Just because something is natural, doesn't mean it is good for you. Our natural world is made up of chemicals, so do your homework to see what is eco friendly.

I paraphrase Susan, (Swiftcraftymonkey), "Just because something is natural, doesn't mean it is good for you. Our natural world is made up of chemicals, so do your homework to see what is eco friendly.

I did read that.

And borax (like lead, arsenic, etc) does occur naturally but that doesn't mean it's great for skin. I just can't see encouraging my mother to put that on her face. The trademarked waxes and synthetics don't list all ingredients, but we know by default they can't be all natural since only beeswax/borax is all natural. So this leaves me no options. :cry:

Oh well, I will just make her some nice soap. When I moisturize my face at home many times I'll just use cocoa butter or a mix of a few oils and put them in the fridge to keep from spoiling. I am now thinking this was a good idea...I first did it out of laziness but it's probably the only way to be chemical free.

After reading a lot of the material I now understand why many doctors and alternative media question skin creams. It was all very informative thanks for the info everyone.

Thanks all.

I like olivem1000. An emulsifier from olives.

Okay I am going to skip right over all the talk of natural and chemicals.

Emulsions are harder to do and they MUST be preserved, so let's keep it simple and make a nice anhydrous butter (a cream has water and oil and an emulsifier and a preservative, you want a butter).

Cocoa butter is both very heavy and very hard, try whipping shea butter. Mix it with some coconut oil and you will have a really nice body butter. If IPM is not a problem for you, a little of that will make it feel much less greasy. Some people use a tiny bit of cornstarch or arrowroot powder mixed in to help cut the greasiness.

As for thickening your shampoo, that is harder. Again, I recommend spending some serious time looking around the swiftcraftmonkey blog. Are you using surfactants? Or is this a liquid soap? Sometimes a little bit of a weak salt solution works beautifully to thicken shampoo, but sometimes it makes it cloudy and sometimes it actually thins it. That is really a matter of both research and trial and error.

HTH

check emulsimulse it is considered Organic emulsifier
will link http://www.saffireblue.ca/shop/emulsifiers/emulsimulse#.VH1Nw8ntge0 I really like it for a hand lotion it has a talk qualities; dry :)
EmulsiMulse is a natural source self-emulsifier for oil in water emulsions. It is ECOCERT approved for use in Certified Organic products. EmulsiMulse is an excellent stand alone emulsifier that is non-ionic and can withstand temperatures up to 130°C . EmulsiMulse, when used in lotions and creams, will provide a soft, conditioned, talc-like feel to skin.

This raw material can be used in the formulation of cosmetics certified according to the ecological and organic standards of Ecocert, France
INCI Name: Glyceryl Stearate (and) Cetearyl Alcohol (and) Sodium Stearoyl Lactylate

• Recommended usage: 2-10%.
  • Physical Form: Off-white Flakes.
  • Melt Point: >50C
  • Solubility: Oil soluble
  • Natural Vegetable Source

I tried rosehip oil but it was just to greasy, Avocado oil is an awesome oil for substituting Olive oil in salads. I love that oil. I like to add some to my soaps too:))
I can not put the straight oil on my face due the instant breakouts:)

Last edited:
I'm curious as to your shampoo recipe, and as to the answer for a thickener! It's so tough getting it right because if you take out enough water of a KOH soap, it solidifies. I'm wondering if arrow root would so the trick, I think I'll experiment with that!! Please, more feedback!

Thanks all.

So, if you don't make her something, will she end up buying something off the shelf in a mega-mart? If so, she is going to get a bigger dose of chemicals than if you made her something with a little ewax and a preservative.

I did read that.

And borax (like lead, arsenic, etc) does occur naturally but that doesn't mean it's great for skin. I just can't see encouraging my mother to put that on her face. The trademarked waxes and synthetics don't list all ingredients, but we know by default they can't be all natural since only beeswax/borax is all natural. So this leaves me no options. :cry:

Oh well, I will just make her some nice soap. When I moisturize my face at home many times I'll just use cocoa butter or a mix of a few oils and put them in the fridge to keep from spoiling. I am now thinking this was a good idea...I first did it out of laziness but it's probably the only way to be chemical free.

After reading a lot of the material I now understand why many doctors and alternative media question skin creams. It was all very informative thanks for the info everyone.
She must use some moisturizer? Natural :)) look at the ingredients my dear

Back