Are FO's making me sick?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello! I have been making candles now for about 8 months- only about the last 4 months where I am making larger batches (250+) candles In a day have I been getting sick the next day, sore throat, sinus infection, all that good stuff. It happens to me about once a month, and lasts for weeks, and I am curious if anyone else out there has gotten sick from it? Or knows any health concerns that I am not aware of! Hope some of y'all could HELP. Thanks :)

Hi and welcome candle chandler, I am new here but not to the world of soap and cosmetics making.
I have no idea if it is true or not. But will mention it, as I to used to get sick from the smell of some fragrance oils.
Then once years ago in a soap making workshop, after sniffing too many EO's the lady teaching and who's been soap making for 30 years told us to drink a lot of water when we are surrounded by that many scents as even thru scent they could enter the blood stream. I suppose fragrance oils being synthetic also have compunds that work maybe more intensely with the human body's makeup.
Anyway back to what the lady said, I didn't question it and do find that when I'm in a place or around someone who bathes in perfume that Drinking waters and opening the windows, or just being outside soon after makes me feel better.

Last edited:
Yes, of course, fragrance can make you sick! Smelling ONE candle is one thing. Inhaling chemical fumes from 250 candles (or the wax blend to make them) is quite another.

With this much production and (I'm guessing) no control over the amount of fragrance chemicals in the air, it's a small wonder you're not feeling well.

I highly recommend that you increase your overall building ventilation considerably with a large input of fresh air. If you're doing this work in your home, this addition of fresh air is even more critical -- you're spending up to 24 hours a day exposed to these fumes, not just 8 on-the-job hours, so getting rid of the vapors in the air is vital.

Next, look at a ventilation hood to be used whenever you are handling the fragrances. Using a hood will remove vapors at their source.

And finally, wear an organic vapor respirator as much as possible while you're working with the fragrance. A respirator is good for personal protection for short-term protection. It's no substitute for controlling the overall air quality in your work space (and home).

Another thing is fragrance chemicals may be absorbed through the skin and mucous membranes, so chemical resistant gloves and goggles are also wise.

I'm very sensitive to a lot of the scents and get headaches frequently. However, I've not had it cause me to end up with infections. You may need a respirator mask when making your candles.

Would inhaling the same amount of eo's be the same concern? I don't feel like I'm getting sick from it, but when I have several fresh batches of soap curing, and the scent is the strongest in the first few days of being cut. I feel like it hurts my nose if I'm in the same room for any length of time. I always have the window open too. Should I be concerned about breathing them? Wear a mask? What about my family, I have a toddler who follows me around everywhere and I don't want him to be affected negatively.

People can be more sensitive to scents in general or to specific ones. EO or FO could make a difference for some, not for others, depending on which component of the scent is being reacted to. For example, I can't deal with lavender in any form, but orange FO bothers me and EO doesn't. Different suppliers could make a difference too as the components will vary some.

You really should seek some medical attention if you have not already. My daughter had a spill and the eo actually burnt her sinus so badly that she now fights sinus infections to often for comfort. If you were or are running full manufacturing you would be under OSHA law and would have to wear protective gear, have the proper ventilation for your facility and possibly respirators and if you have an employee it is critical to follow such guidelines. Of course this is if you are in the US. Our ex-partner incurred a huge fine for not supplying proper respirators to his employees when using a particular chemical. We tried to warn him... Fragrances and EO are chemicals that need to be respected. This is why I do not make incense sticks as my market manager would like me to do. Nope I will not make them at home and no longer have an outside workshop

My husband is an HVAC Air Flow technician and has set my studio up with a simple ventilation system. It isn't enough to just open a window and hope that the fumes will go out that window. You need a cross ventilation with outside air. Before I work with fragrances I crack open the window at the far side of my basement and open the window on the opposite side and turn on a fan blowing out. This simple set up pulls fresh air in and over me while I'm working and if I am only doing a small amount I don't have to wear the mask. He gave me a fume mask from work, but I get very claustrophobic wearing it and do everything I can not to have to. If I am doing a lot of fragrances...then I don't have a choice.

I worked for a very large state agency. There were so many complaints about people wearing perfume/fragrance they made a written policy banning them. I usually don't react to fragrance, but there was this one person who burned candles in her office that literally gagged the other 30 people. No one would complain - she was the big boss.

Wow thank you for all the responses. I do work from home, in a very small condo, I usually have the vent on from my microwave and keep the back sliding glass door open (but noticed the change in temp makes the candles cave) that's a whole other convo! My boyfriend recently purchased me a respirator mask I am going to try that out next batch after my infection is better and hope that works, but I too get cloister phobic so it will be something to get used to. I spoke with my doctor my last sick spell and she said she didn't believe the FO was doing any harm to me other than I may have created an allergy to it. Keep the info coming if you have any experiences with this topic, it is appreciated :)

I totally agree on the fragrance thing. We used to have several gals that wore terribly strong perfume and it would trigger an allergic reaction to several of us. I work in a hospital and our director finally told everyone that if someone found their perfume to be a trigger then they wouldn't be able to wear it any longer. Since then we've had no issues. Some smells just set me off like crazy. I immediately get a headache and my chest feels heavy. Fortunately, I haven't worked with too many that do that to me in my soapmaking (thank goodness).

When I get to the stage where I am making so much soap, I will keep my mask (3M 6002C) a lot more than I do now. At the moment it helps protect me from lye steam, which isn't an issue here, I know, but it also blocks the fumes from scents.

This makes me wonder about your little one when he arrives. You've probably already thought about it but perhaps the pediatrician should know about your crafting hobbies. Newborn lungs are very delicate, and that undeveloped nervous system is greatly affected by things that older kids and adults aren't. Even curing soap might be an issue if it's scented?

I wanted to update on the FO issue I was having. As annoying as it is, I have been wearing a respirator mask once I add the FO. I continued to make my large batches (300 +) candles and I do not take the mask off until I am done completely. It's a long process but I keep all windows and doors open now as well as the vent on my microwave on the whole time, I will go outside to take some fresh air in for breaks. I am happy to say I haven't had an infection, this is the longest I've gone without being sick and I can thank my mask for it. So scary to know what I had been breathing I'm for months. Hopefully there aren't any long term effects.

FOs can defenetly make you sick! If you ever plan on using EOs - you can expect the same thing. Ask me how I know ;) you can get away with not having a mask for small batches, but it is a must for larger batches. I look like Walter White in season 4. I respect the knowledge of doctors but I am pretty sure that she never witnessed the making of 250+ candles and everything that accompanies the process.

Back