Etsy shop

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi elmtree, I think you need to increase the quantity of your products, more products get more exposures and customers also have more options to choose from.

Just curious, have your sales increased since you implemented the suggestions?
I have not started selling my soaps and I'm wondering if an etsy listing is a good idea/waste of time.

I agree with hmlove regarding ingredients lists.
I prefer:
"Ingredients: coconut oil, palm oil, rice bran oil, etc."
or "Organic Ingredients: coconut oil, palm oil, rice bran oil, etc."
This sounds too pushy/salesy: "organic coconut oil, organic palm oil, organic rice bran oil, etc"

If I were you I'd try a few different types of descriptions.
Some people might like succinct factual descriptions with no-nonsense.
Others may like to hear the benefits of the soap on the skin.
Others may want to hear about the organic ingredients.
Others may think organic = pricey = avoid.
Choose a listing that gets a lot of traffic but minimal sales and make 3 different styles of descriptions and test them out for a week or two each and see if any one description makes a difference to sales volume.

Last edited:
I disagree with the comments about the titles being too long. That is commonly done on Etsy because it greatly improves your SEO. The more info you include in the title, the easier someone will find you in the search. That's the thinking anyway. I suggest asking on the Etsy forums!

I disagree with the comments about the titles being too long. That is commonly done on Etsy because it greatly improves your SEO. The more info you include in the title, the easier someone will find you in the search. That's the thinking anyway. I suggest asking on the Etsy forums!

Thank you Zoe. It's interesting what people are saying I shouldn't do and then I go look at etsy sellers who seem very successful and they use similar terms like I was like organic, long descriptions, what issues it helps such as 'eczema cream'... As far as not listing every 'organic' ingredient as 'organic' I can't just say organic oils because often there is an oil or two that isn't organic. I don't want to make false claims. In my research on seo I saw that you should have long descriptions. I'm going to go back and fix a few and see what happens. Thanks!

Just because other Etsy sellers do certain things does not mean that is what works to get them sales or it is within the Etsy (of FDA) rules. Long descriptions are find - your descriptions should give all the pertinent details regarding your products, long titles key-word packed titles are a turnoff. Even if your listing comes up in a search, a long title in which someone cannot easily figure out what you are selling will NOT get them to click through to the listing. Successful sellers rely on many things to get buyers to their shop, not just one approach.

Also, making medical claims about a product is not allowed on Etsy (no matter how many other sellers may be doing it) and is strictly regulated by the FDA. If you make a medical claim you are selling a drug and you must have actual proof (not just stating what the ingredients are supposed to do or treat) to support your claims.

Latest posts

Back