Wow, seizure!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MsBien

Reaction score
Today I made a soap with some new EOs I bought from a gal who is getting out of soapmaking. I made a regular batch, and then put in Rose Geranium EO and within about 30 seconds I poured in into the mold and it was seizing.

I've never had this happen before. When I bought the EOs she said she wasn't 100% sure that the Rose Geranium was and EO and that it could be a FO. If it were a FO would that make it more likely to seize on me, or is there a possibility that these EOs are not good and will ruin all my soap? I bought $150 worth of stuff from her.

Your thoughts?

Thanks,
Stacie

I've heard floral FO's have a tenancy of setting up faster.
Hopefully that's all it was and all your stuff is good.

there is a post on the Scent Review Board reporting slight acceleration with Rose Geranium EO. a touchy formula or the wrong temps can throw that kind of thing into a seize.

if your supplier doesn't know if it's an EO or an FO, could she tell you if the items are safe for cosmetic use? it's important that you use only FOs that are skin-safe, and that you know your EOs as some can be irritating even if they are not regulated.

Thanks for your responses. The supplier was a friend's mom who bought way too many supplies for a short lived soap making hobby, so I do trust the source. She had a lot of EOs and FOs, the label on this one was smeared and she didn't remember. I only use EOs but I said I'd take it and try it because I like how it smells.

Could you clarify what you mean by the Scent Review Board? Do you mean the Fragrance Review? I don't see anything specifically called that, and before I posted the question I did a search and didn't come up with anything that helped me.

Thanks

Back