What is a good SF range for shaving soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PatrickH

The Perfectionist
Reaction score
Hello everyone. I'm just getting into soap making and spent many hours online learning how to make soap.
My interest is HP soap and shaving soap.
I got all my tools and just need to buy ingredients.
My question is, what is a good SF for shaving soap and how much SF should I add after Saponifacation?

I use 5% SF, and split it between cocoa butter and shea butter, or cocoa butter and lanolin.

Leaves my face feeling great.

Is that 5% before or after Saponifacation in HP?
I was thinking 3 or 4 before in the recipe calc and 3 or 4 after.

Last edited:
Superfat is superfat, it's just really adding less lye than is required to covert all the oils to fatty acid salts. In HP you have the option of reserving some fats and adding them after the cook, when it's more likely that they will stay unchanged -- anything in there while the lye is active is likely to be saponified, and you have no control over what gets left behind (usually the slowest to saponify fats).

Use the superfat percent in the calculator, and keep whatever fats you want as superfat out of the pot until it's done cooking, then stir them in.

I should have worded my last comment a little better. I meant, even while using say 5% after the cook, what should the SF be on the soap calc that will be in the cooking batch? Like a safety SF%

5%. Soapcalc is calculating the amount of lye you need to leave 5% of your oils unsaponified.

Latest posts

Back