"Emerald" recast

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kittish

Enthusiastic Newbie
Reaction score
emeraldv114-1619.jpg

Made from scratch MP soap
, with cocoa butter replacing palm oil entirely. It melted back down quite easily in a double boiler with no added liquid, though I did keep the bowl tightly covered while it was melting (my soaping bowls are stainless steel, can't microwave them). Scented with orange, patchouli and myrrh essential oils. Orange is the dominant scent right now (mainly to cover the cocoa butter scent, which I'm surprised to find I don't care for in soap), but I don't expect that to last. The patch and myrrh should take over when the orange fades. Batch was originally made for the August 2017 challenge, rock and gem soaps.

Beautiful! And I have that gift mold too :)

When you say you own MP, do you mean you rebatch the soap?

Beautiful! And I have that gift mold too :)

When you say you own MP, do you mean you rebatch the soap?

Thank you!

You should probably put a piece or two of cardboard under the middle cavities if you use that mold. It sagged inward from either side because those middle spots are shallower than the end ones.

No, it's a glycerin type soap, much like the MP soaps you use. Just, I made mine from scratch.

Thank you!

You should probably put a piece or two of cardboard under the middle cavities if you use that mold. It sagged inward from either side because those middle spots are shallower than the end ones.

No, it's a glycerin type soap, much like the MP soaps you use. Just, I made mine from scratch.

Oh now you have to share ..... please?

Already did, the link to the recipe I used is right under the picture. :) I followed the recipe, except for using cocoa butter instead of palm oil. Plugged the oils into SoapCalc as ounces (as given) to get percentages, so I could scale the recipe and make sure I used the correct amount of NaOH.

I went ahead and pulled the smallest bar to try out. It isn't nearly as melty as my first attempt at a glycerin soap, so that's a good start. Not particularly melty at all, in fact.

It doesn't lather very well, but lots of very young soaps don't. I figure this probably needs a full 4 or 6 week cure, then we'll see how the lather goes.

The feel of the soap is almost... sandy? No discernible grains, but it's got that sort of catchiness to it. Leaves my hands feeling pretty dry when I rinse. Hope that mellows.

Interesting, I was fixing to ask what you just posted! Serendipity.

Probably not worth the fuss to make MP. Cheaper to buy the base anyway .... I made a calculation of how much two pounds would cost, and is more expensive than buying the base, unless you are making large quantities.

Interesting, I was fixing to ask what you just posted! Serendipity.

Probably not worth the fuss to make MP. Cheaper to buy the base anyway .... I made a calculation of how much two pounds would cost, and is more expensive than buying the base, unless you are making large quantities.

Wouldn't be worth it, if I was looking at trying to sell. But I'm a hobbyist. For me most of the fun comes from "I made this!" And I've got this weird streak, if I'm gonna make something, I'm want to do as much of it from scratch as I can. I don't take it to completely ridiculous extremes, like churning my own butter for baking, but I figure I'll take a few more shots at a made from scratch MP, maybe even see if I can manage one eventually that's reasonably clear.

Latest posts

Back