Help - total seizure!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Soapstars

Reaction score
Hello Soapers, last time i made a rose and chamomile soap it riced pretty quickly and the end result wasnt so good. So this time I added the fragrances to the oils instead of at trace and this resulted in immediate seizing of the oils, fragrance and lye. It is a really solid jelly like lump and I am wondering how to blag my way out of this one! Anyone know what best to do please? Haven't had a chance to add any of my lovely colours yet! Just happened now so still warm...

Thank you for any good ideas.

My system will really not let you color it, but will save it. I cover it and walk away when this happens, letting it go into gel, stir well and pour quickly. Otherwish immediately rematch it. My first method really creates a rematch looking soap. This is why I never add my fo to the oils.

Hiya, well I was keen to work quickly and so put it straight in the crock pot with a bit of extra water and gradually mashed up all the lumps. It looks like pink apple sauce as I did put a bit of pink mica in there. Slopped it into a mould and the texture will probably look really rough but it still has a lovely fragrance. Thank you for your response. I will try your method next time. So after it has completely seized, if you walk away and come back later, it is possible to stir and pour? It was like set cement when i put it in the crock pot.

Once it goes into gel, it will soften enough you can get it stirred and poured (or smashed) into a mold. But don't walk away from it. I had a batch seize in about 15 seconds, to the point I couldn't even get my spatula out. As I stood there, cursing away at it, I watched it go into full gel in about 2 min. It was so hot I had to use a towel to hold the container so I could stir and mold it. Most won't gel that quickly but keep a close eye on it just in case.

Just as an FYI, I brought the batter to light trace then added the FO. Because it was a test and I knew I had the oils and lye mixed well, I didn't bother to HP it as a rebatch. I was able to get all the FO mixed in during gel so I was good to just leave it. That particular FO went into the "wax melt only" section of my FO hoard.:evil:

Thanks for the help KristaY. I love this fragrance even though it is rebellious and hard to handle. Must find a way....

Once it goes into gel, it will soften enough you can get it stirred and poured (or smashed) into a mold. But don't walk away from it. I had a batch seize in about 15 seconds, to the point I couldn't even get my spatula out. As I stood there, cursing away at it, I watched it go into full gel in about 2 min. It was so hot I had to use a towel to hold the container so I could stir and mold it. Most won't gel that quickly but keep a close eye on it just in case.

Just as an FYI, I brought the batter to light trace then added the FO. Because it was a test and I knew I had the oils and lye mixed well, I didn't bother to HP it as a rebatch. I was able to get all the FO mixed in during gel so I was good to just leave it. That particular FO went into the "wax melt only" section of my FO hoard.:evil:
I did say don't watch it, but most will not gel that fast. A known heater fragrance can go fast
But most will take longer. It also depends on the lye concentration and as long as it stays covered it will not harden quickly.

So, this is the result from the totally seized and immediately rebatched soap with a bit of extra water added. Was able to cut it the next morning, this morning. Looks a bit rustic, still smells great. The first pic is how it looked last time I made it with the most successful swirl that I have personally done yet as a new soapmaker (since March). The second pic is the rebatch. Still a pretty pink with different texture.

20170811_150753.jpg

20170814_102125.jpg

Great save!
I'm impressed you got that awesome swirl in the first bar using a troublesome FO. You're rockin' it!

Thank you Millie. Was really concerned when it became a solid block of oil/lye and so glad something could be done in the end.

Back