Best Lye supplier?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I also buy from the Lye Guy. Product is always good, he is sooo easy to work with and very nice person. Had a tiny problem one time and it was fixed immediately.

The only supplier info I can add is do not order from Wholesale Supplies Plus. They don't really focus much on CP/HP and the lye seems to sit around in the warehouse.

You know? I am not a huge fan of theirs. The products I have got seem to be of lesser quality.

What do you think of their fragrances? I had just bought one before, and it was just ok....

I hit up Bulk Apothecary's sale on lye, got the 8 pound. Thought about getting the 50 pound pail, but I don't really have a place to store something that size securely (and my essential oils and lye I keep literally locked up- there are young kids here on a regular basis).

My original lye (that I'm on the second of two bottles of) I got off amazon, the seller and branding on the bottle is Pro Supply Outlet. Micro beads, so there's some static but I haven't had any try to jump out of the bottle. There's a packet of the silicon drying agent in each bottle, and clumping of the lye inside the bottles has so far been minimal.

I'm really hesitant to order lye from Essential Depot after reading about the issues so many people had with their lye. Plus, ED has a page going on and on about how any problems with their lye are never their fault and they can prove it. Uh huh. This tells me the company is more about shifting blame than fixing issues. Plus, their prices are astronomical, even for club members, and the free shea butter and curing racks don't make that much of a difference.

What do you think of their fragrances? I had just bought one before, and it was just ok....

I don't think I've ever bought any of their fragrances that wasn't in a kit. I got a m&p kit when before I started CP. I wasn't a fan of the scent to begin with but I used it in my first ever CP batch and it seemed to work. It was a dupe of a discontinued Bath and Body Works scent. I used it to use it up last year.... it was just meh. I recently ordered a body spray kit from them that has a Victoria's Secret dupe, pear something. I was hoping for a juicy pear scent and realized after receiving it that is was a dupe. Haven't used it in anything yet.

None of their fragrances are inspiring. Every other site I go to I can add at least 2-3 fragrances to an order before I start pruning my cart. I don't think I've ever gone to WSP and "needed" a certain scent. I don't even know if I've clicked on any of the listings but I have a feeling that most of their big sellers are dupes.

So short answer: I haven't been inspired enough to even look at most of their fragrances. I'm not impressed with the two fragrances I have gotten with kits in terms of wanting to soap with them

Back